Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

...
Comment from: LynnMarie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 52 and I was diagnosed with vertigo. I have had two really bad days: One time I had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. The second time, just a month ago, I felt it coming on and laid down in a dark room and fell asleep. I was prescribed meclizine, which I'm taking, but it doesn't seem to help at all. I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: chrissy brecht, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am 25 years old and I have had vertigo for about 5 years now. When I had insurance I went to the ENT and was given meclizine 25 mg. This has not worked for me at all. I am currently engaged and my fiance did not understand how bad this is when you get it. This past month I have been getting little spells and one Saturday it hit so hard I'm always trying to make my way to the bathroom to throw up. Now he sees what it really does to me and I'm out all day long just sleeping. I really wish that soon they will come out with something that will take this away. I have been trying everything the doctor said to do. I am taking allergy medication now to see if it works.

Comment from: truqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I agree with the first 2 comments about Meclazine not working very well and I also am tired of people saying vertigo is dizziness. It is not! I've had it for 17 years. It usually hits me the worst in the spring and fall. I work in a factory where I have to use ear plugs and I think that is how this all started for me. I decided to use Allegra and Afrin nasal spray and that helps more than the Meclazine. I usually have eye movement problems and balance problems on a daily basis and it is debilitating to the point that I too have become depressed and suffer from anxiety attacks. I've just been dealing with it, but I'm typing through my tears right now because I'm so tired of going through this. I'm suffering thru a bad episode right now that has been going on for about a week. The doctors want to treat the symptoms and not address a cure because then we won't be their patients anymore.

Comment from: Lillan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have suffered from BPPV for well over a year but was ignored for a good while by my physician. I suppose dizziness is a common complaint from patients. In the meantime I had some vascular problems, had one carotid artery cleaned out, then had stents put into my legs, so I was not very active. The dizziness did not disappear along with the balance problems. Finally, after my vascular ordeals, I went to se an ENT who sent me to an ENG test, then sent me to a center for balance and mobility where vertigo patients are treated by trained physical therapists. It was established that my problem was BPPV, but all the various maneuvers did not seem to settled these crystals in my right ear. Meclizine did not help the dizziness. After a couple of months, I went to see a neurologist, who again confirmed the diagnosis BPPV and prescribed .25 mg of clononazepam (valium). I am not sure if it works. This affliction is really destroying the quality of my life. At this point, the doctors feel I just have to wait for it to disappear by itself and doing the maneuvers at home. I also have various exercises to perform to strengthen my balance problem. It is no fun. I am 71 years old and should still be able to enjoy life, my children and grandchildren.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had some days when I had vertigo in bed, but it subsided when I got up. Then this weekend I had it, it went away when I got up, but then hit me hard when I looked up at the ceiling. I was nauseated and had trouble walking or moving. I took Bonine, which is over-the-counter meclizine, that I always have for motion sickness, then Benadryl to shrink any swollen membranes. I had it for about 5 hours. Then I was fine the next day and the third day it was back again all day. The fourth day I have had it in the morning and couldn't drive, but it subsides by mid-afternoon. I may have some swelling in one ear so I'm going to the ENT. I also have ringing in my ears which he says is Tinnitus. I'm not sure if tinnitus and vertigo go hand in hand or not. Bonine does help very well for motion sickness!

Comment from: juju, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was first diagnosed with benign positional vertigo this past July after suddenly being unable to get out of bed without falling, not being able to look up without the feeling of spinning, and unable to look at anything moving without losing my balance. I had a stroke due to a car accident at age 33. Since then I have had weakness in my right side and fall a lot. In July, the doctors did an EKG, CAT scan, and an MRI because of my history. All were normal. The medicine they prescribed never really helped. I did finally go to a chiropractor who treats this and found almost instant relief. However, now I have been running a fever for four days with no other symptoms and the vertigo is back. It's much milder than before, but it's still scary. When I feel better, I will go to the chiropractor again.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?