Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

...
Comment from: cheddie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

About a month ago I got out of my bed in the morning and got very dizzy. This had never happened to me before. About 10 minutes later I started vomiting and couldn't eat at all. Even water and juice came back up! I went to see my doctor and was told I had vertigo. He wrote down the name of a drug to buy over the counter. I was told by the pharmacist it was sea sick medicine. I had been sick for about a week! I got up this morning but no dizziness! I started vomiting so took 2 pills for sea sickness. An hour later the nausea was gone. I ate today with no problem at all. It worked and I am still feeling great! I will stay on it for a few days! I only hope this doesn't happen all the time but seems like it's easily fixed for me!

Comment from: MTYDALLAS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I went to an ear doctor just to clean up my left ear. The doctor did it dry, not the way my other doctor did it before, with a syringe and warm water. I remember the doctor saying, 'what is that', and trying to yank it out of my ear. It was a nerve in my inner ear that is causing me have double vision and headaches almost daily. I went to my family doctor in Dallas and told him what the ear doctor did to my ear. My doctor in Dallas right away said that it was causing me having vertigo. Now, I have double vision, headaches and without medication I see double once in a while.

Comment from: gabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was recently diagnosed with severe vertigo, having had episodes in the past but light episodes. I never suffer nausea, maybe my diagnosis is wrong! My dizziness continues when I lie down and try to sleep it off. My severe episode hit me hard and my head felt like it was falling off. I thought I was dying. I could only see a little when I turned my head to the left. The whole thing lasted several seconds. I called my sister to take me to the emergency room.

Comment from: molly/sheba, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

My doctor is ordering tests for vertigo but until then, I've been experiencing light headaches, upset stomach (no throwing up), and feeling like I'm going to pass out. I get weak and sore muscles after an episode. I go into panic attack mode and have to take Xanax to calm down. I'm thinking this has a variety of symptoms; whereas a person can experience something different from the next person, but it is all in the vertigo family. Note: Since I have a history of panic attacks I've learned to take half a dose (.25) of Xanax every 6 hours.

Comment from: wverns, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I never had anything like vertigo in my life. I was driving and all of sudden the world was spinning and I felt sick, was hot and sweating. Thank goodness my husband was in front of me. I just stopped and started vomiting like crazy. I thought I was going to die. My husband backed up and asked me what happened. I was crying getting sick and sweating. I told him I think I'm dying, and he called 911. I was in the emergency room. They gave me shots and after a few hours I felt better. I never want to go through that ever again. I was scared to death. My heart goes out to anybody that ever went through this.

Comment from: linniegypt@yahoo.com, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I'm so tired of people describing vertigo as dizziness. I know what dizzy is, I was anemic as a child into my teen years and often became dizzy or faint. Vertigo is a whole different animal. I can't tell you how horrifying it is to suddenly open your eyes from a deep sleep with the sensation of a great need to right yourself...reaching out for any stable surface to hold onto in order to keep from landing on your head and the bonus being that your eyeballs are vibrating. When I called my E.N.T. doctor for an appointment his dingbat at the desk said "Oh, you're dizzy? Do you feel faint?" I said "NO! I'm having an episode of vertigo!" She said "O.K. you're feeling dizzy, how about next Thursday?" GEEZE LOUISE. Somebody out there must know the difference.

Comment from: Milwaukee Irish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have suffered from vertigo off and on for more than 29 years. I was diagnosed with a middle ear infection and the doctor treated it with Meclizine. It helps somewhat with the dizziness, but it knocks you out. All you do is sleep, and it doesn't cure the problem, it only treats the symptoms -- taking the dizziness away. I finally went to the best ENT in Milwaukee and he said treating it with an allergy medication is what works. I also have a lot of allergies -- seasonal, environmental, animals -- so I do need to take something for that. By taking one tablet every day (I now use Singulair, but I have used Claritin and Zyrtec in the past), I am vertigo-free. Almost as a test, this past spring I happened to be out of my prescription for several weeks and didn't take anything. Sure enough, the vertigo came back. As soon as I was back on Singulair for about six days straight, the vertigo was gone again. I will never be without the allergy medication again. As I understand it, the allergy medication dries up the fluid in your ears that causes the vertigo. I have no medical background, but this method really has worked for me.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?