Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I was diagnosed with vertigo about 17 years ago. I was on the fire department got an alarm about 4:30 am and couldn't get down a set of steps at the fire station. My captain thought I was having a heart attack. I was sent to the hospital by ambulance. I also suffer from depression, panic attacks, high blood pressure, type II diabetes and skin cancer. I am 71 yrs old. This past week, the vertigo has come back and I have a hard time going to bed because of the feeling of the room spinning around. I plan on going to my family doctor to see if he can find out what is causing this. I just want to be able to spend my golden years enjoying my wife and myself.

My husband acquired an outer ear infection two years ago. At the hospital, he was treated for a bacterial infection. Three days later, he suffered facial paralysis and severe pain in his ear and right side of his head. After being admitted to the hospital, it was discovered he had shingles and the virus had spread to his brain. He underwent six months of therapy for his accompanying dizziness and vestibular problems. Now two years later, he is still dizzy and has numerous balance problems. He cannot drive or perform normal activities. He only gets relief when he lies down; so much of his life is spent in bed. If he had been given Valtrex the first day he went to the hospital, he may not be as bad as he is. The doctor says that the nerve from the inner ear to the brain is damaged, as well as two facial nerves. He looks like he had a stroke. He must walk with a cane to support himself so he does not fall down. He is taking gabapentin for the pain and meclizine for the dizziness along with an antidepressant. He is soon to start another round of therapy for the dizziness.

Comment from: LynnMarie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 52 and I was diagnosed with vertigo. I have had two really bad days: One time I had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. The second time, just a month ago, I felt it coming on and laid down in a dark room and fell asleep. I was prescribed meclizine, which I'm taking, but it doesn't seem to help at all. I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: Kay, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 15

My mother is 81 years old and has suffered from vertigo for quite a few years. The doctors and specialists have said it is because her ear canals are very small and there is nothing they can do. The last 2 months she has got worse.

Comment from: Ggr.pm, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My mother is suffering from dizziness and vomiting. She can't hear from one ear and this vertigo happened once a month. But these days it is happening once a week.

Comment from: Boo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I walk into things and bump off furniture because of vertigo. Some force pushes me backwards. I move fast.

Comment from: Irritated, Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have had an ongoing ear infection. Antibiotics seem to not help much or not at all. The doctor said it is a case of vertigo due to inner ear infection. I can't take the medicine they gave me because it knocks me out quickly. Next step is ENT specialist; but I don't know how I can help the dizziness in the meantime.

Comment from: Clarice, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I suddenly have no control of my balance. Feels like I am being pushed back and can't control, myself. I also have ringing of ears, and am getting really hot. But just before the vertigo I feel really good.

Comment from: chrissy brecht, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am 25 years old and I have had vertigo for about 5 years now. When I had insurance I went to the ENT and was given meclizine 25 mg. This has not worked for me at all. I am currently engaged and my fiance did not understand how bad this is when you get it. This past month I have been getting little spells and one Saturday it hit so hard I'm always trying to make my way to the bathroom to throw up. Now he sees what it really does to me and I'm out all day long just sleeping. I really wish that soon they will come out with something that will take this away. I have been trying everything the doctor said to do. I am taking allergy medication now to see if it works.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?