Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

My husband acquired an outer ear infection two years ago. At the hospital, he was treated for a bacterial infection. Three days later, he suffered facial paralysis and severe pain in his ear and right side of his head. After being admitted to the hospital, it was discovered he had shingles and the virus had spread to his brain. He underwent six months of therapy for his accompanying dizziness and vestibular problems. Now two years later, he is still dizzy and has numerous balance problems. He cannot drive or perform normal activities. He only gets relief when he lies down; so much of his life is spent in bed. If he had been given Valtrex the first day he went to the hospital, he may not be as bad as he is. The doctor says that the nerve from the inner ear to the brain is damaged, as well as two facial nerves. He looks like he had a stroke. He must walk with a cane to support himself so he does not fall down. He is taking gabapentin for the pain and meclizine for the dizziness along with an antidepressant. He is soon to start another round of therapy for the dizziness.

Comment from: LynnMarie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 52 and I was diagnosed with vertigo. I have had two really bad days: One time I had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. The second time, just a month ago, I felt it coming on and laid down in a dark room and fell asleep. I was prescribed meclizine, which I'm taking, but it doesn't seem to help at all. I don't know what else to do.

Comment from:, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My mother is suffering from dizziness and vomiting. She can't hear from one ear and this vertigo happened once a month. But these days it is happening once a week.

Comment from: Boo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I walk into things and bump off furniture because of vertigo. Some force pushes me backwards. I move fast.

Comment from: Irritated, Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have had an ongoing ear infection. Antibiotics seem to not help much or not at all. The doctor said it is a case of vertigo due to inner ear infection. I can't take the medicine they gave me because it knocks me out quickly. Next step is ENT specialist; but I don't know how I can help the dizziness in the meantime.

Comment from: Clarice, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I suddenly have no control of my balance. Feels like I am being pushed back and can't control, myself. I also have ringing of ears, and am getting really hot. But just before the vertigo I feel really good.

Comment from: chrissy brecht, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am 25 years old and I have had vertigo for about 5 years now. When I had insurance I went to the ENT and was given meclizine 25 mg. This has not worked for me at all. I am currently engaged and my fiance did not understand how bad this is when you get it. This past month I have been getting little spells and one Saturday it hit so hard I'm always trying to make my way to the bathroom to throw up. Now he sees what it really does to me and I'm out all day long just sleeping. I really wish that soon they will come out with something that will take this away. I have been trying everything the doctor said to do. I am taking allergy medication now to see if it works.

Comment from: truqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I agree with the first 2 comments about Meclazine not working very well and I also am tired of people saying vertigo is dizziness. It is not! I've had it for 17 years. It usually hits me the worst in the spring and fall. I work in a factory where I have to use ear plugs and I think that is how this all started for me. I decided to use Allegra and Afrin nasal spray and that helps more than the Meclazine. I usually have eye movement problems and balance problems on a daily basis and it is debilitating to the point that I too have become depressed and suffer from anxiety attacks. I've just been dealing with it, but I'm typing through my tears right now because I'm so tired of going through this. I'm suffering thru a bad episode right now that has been going on for about a week. The doctors want to treat the symptoms and not address a cure because then we won't be their patients anymore.

Comment from: Lillan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have suffered from BPPV for well over a year but was ignored for a good while by my physician. I suppose dizziness is a common complaint from patients. In the meantime I had some vascular problems, had one carotid artery cleaned out, then had stents put into my legs, so I was not very active. The dizziness did not disappear along with the balance problems. Finally, after my vascular ordeals, I went to se an ENT who sent me to an ENG test, then sent me to a center for balance and mobility where vertigo patients are treated by trained physical therapists. It was established that my problem was BPPV, but all the various maneuvers did not seem to settled these crystals in my right ear. Meclizine did not help the dizziness. After a couple of months, I went to see a neurologist, who again confirmed the diagnosis BPPV and prescribed .25 mg of clononazepam (valium). I am not sure if it works. This affliction is really destroying the quality of my life. At this point, the doctors feel I just have to wait for it to disappear by itself and doing the maneuvers at home. I also have various exercises to perform to strengthen my balance problem. It is no fun. I am 71 years old and should still be able to enjoy life, my children and grandchildren.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?