Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Comment from: Kendra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been suffering with vertigo for almost 20 years. I woke up one morning as if the ceiling was spinning, and I ran to the bathroom and threw up. It happens to me if I can't get enough sleep. For my body, I need eight hours of sleep. If not, vertigo will attack me.

Comment from: VC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

This started four days ago: The room seems to spin very fast, and when that happens I get hot flashes and then need to vomit. For 36 hours, I couldn't keep any fluids down. The spinning happens mostly when I move my head at any angle but also when I am sitting still. Watching TV also sets off the spinning.

Comment from: JammyCammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have dizziness and nausea when I lay down and then when I go to get back up! Bending down also causes it!

Comment from: mita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I woke one morning to answer the phone and my whole world was turned upside down. It was so bad that I vomited all over the house! That episode put me in bed and out of work for five weeks. That was seven years ago and it has recently returned. It is awful. I wish they could find a cure.

Comment from: rick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I feel like my body wants to fall forward.

Comment from: grammajulie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 01

My 51 year old brother has been suffering from vertigo for about two years now. His doctors just give him valium and meclizine. He only seems to have these bad spurts in the summertime when it is hot. I just returned from the hospital picking him up because he could not walk or get out of his door to get help. He had a perfect morning and had breakfast with his daughter, then he went home and was cleaning out this paper shredder when he got the spins.

Comment from: Kari, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 72 years old and have had severe vertigo attacks every three to four days since 2012. Each attack lasts about 12 hours and requires me to be in bed in a dark quiet room and hopefully find a position where I am least dizzy and can fall asleep. I am taking 25mg meclizine four times a day (which I am told is the daily max) which has helped a tiny bit, but still have to spend 10 to 12 hours in bed. This is awful. I have no life. I'm afraid to go anywhere more than 10 minutes from home. I have an appointment with a neurologist soon. I'm hoping to find relief. This is no life.

Comment from: lagodsgirl, Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am a nurse and speaking as one who suffers with extreme vertigo and have for several weeks now. I keep telling my doctor and doctors at the ER this is extreme. Calling it vertigo is silly. I had focal seizure and went to the ER after a neurological exam. The issue was dropped. I cannot even look down, or move my head left or right. Even rinsing my hands makes me dizzy. The whole room spins and my equilibrium is affected.

Comment from: Shari, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I was recently diagnosed with Benign Positional Vertigo last year and I am 41. I have episodes every now and then. Nothing too major, until recently, I was out of work for five days. As a single mother, I can't afford that. I was extremely dehydrated. I took Dramamine and Pepto-Bismol and the nausea was so severe that I couldn't even throw up. I went to urgent care and they gave me an IV with Benadryl, bismuth and Reglan. Afterwards, I felt like a new person. I had an MRI the next morning, then went back to urgent care. I begged the doctor to give me what he gave me the day earlier, because I was feeling sick again. The MRI was normal; blood work was normal, and I am sitting here at my desk, totally nauseous and sick to my stomach. My head is light and I am having a hard time concentrating.

Comment from: brainy1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was diagnosed with an inner ear infection, which turned out to be a brain tumor. I couldn't get up without passing out from vertigo and the nausea was awful. This was 7 years ago. Now the vertigo has returned so I have an appointment scheduled with my PCP. This episode has gone on since July of this year.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?