Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Comment from: Ceopal, 65-74 Female Published: November 02

Today I am suffering with dizziness that I have had for over a week. The first day was terrible and I finally took some meclizine, which helped some. This is my second bout with vertigo, which is a terrifying feeling. I continue to feel exhausted and I am afraid of driving because of this feeling. The comments from other is gratifying. Knowing that I am not alone in suffering from this ailment makes me feel better. Doctors are not able to explain why this is occurring. I am going to try some of the remedies that others have tried. Thanks so very much for your comments!!!

Comment from: dizzy1234, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I've had vertigo for 8 years. I was in 2 car accidents 2000 and 2001. Doctor diagnosed me with BPPV. I tried Meclizine. It doesn't help much but I do take it when I fly once a year to see family. I get a sensation I'm about to have an episode so I close my eyes and stop what I'm doing. Yet last week, I almost fainted at work. I don't drive far because I'm afraid to hurt others. I did do exercises but they only help for a short time. I found that other medicines, even allergy meds make it worse, so I don't take them. The vertigo episodes are worse and I'm nervous I will lose my job. I'm seeing my regular doctor tomorrow to be sure nothing else is going on like blood pressure, blood clotting or such as I'm getting nauseous with episodes now that didn't use to happen before. Good luck everyone and hang in there. I feel someone will figure out how to help us all.

Comment from: Haji 1, 55-64 Male Published: October 22

I get dizzy bending over, looking up and even while sleeping when I turn from side to side.

Comment from: dprn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I am a 39 year old woman. Married with 2 children. I am a nurse. I have had sinus/allergy /migraine/vertigo/dizziness problems since I was a small child, probably started when I was around 3 years old. Everyday I struggle. When I became pregnant with my 3 year old son, I was so dizzy every day that I had to be on bed rest for the entire pregnancy. I was diagnosed with an increased pressure on inner ears due to increased fluid from pregnancy. I saw ENTs, neurologists, allergists. This is debilitating, frustrating, depressing. I feel for anyone who has to feel this way. Please know you are not alone in your fight.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I got this spinning sensation that almost made me fall to the floor. It was not a lightheaded dizzy feeling; it was the room was spinning and I felt like I was falling. Anyway I went to an ENT and she said what I have is more common in the elderly but also has been found in others who may have had a head injury. So it can come about at any age, although it is more prevalent in the elderly...( ok how old is old?!) Anyway, we all have "crystals in our ears, but sometimes they move into the wrong part of the ear into the semicircular part. This sensation causes the spins and your eyes can't keep up with the spinning motion. It is like a delayed action to the eyes when those crystals shift into the wrong part of the ear and it takes a while of keeping your ear tilted to that one side. The ENT has ear exercises that you can do at home and after she does the procedure you have to sleep in a recliner for one night so the crystals can stay on the right side of the ear canal. They are supposed to be in a jelly-like substance in the ear, but for some reason in the elderly, that jelly like substance thins out - and if you had any head injuries that can cause the crystals to move over. When I leave the office after she does the procedure I wear a neck collar so as not to tilt my head or move those crystals back on the wrong side.

Comment from: smsmith0202, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I've just had a second episode of vertigo, almost identical to the first after nine months. Both started out the same, but the first came on much faster. I lost hearing in my left ear, and then I begin to start feeling dizzy, then nauseous, and began to vomit. Both of these happened in the AM and at work. I had been given Meclizine but had taken it out of my purse, so I didn't have it with me at work the second time. Both times I was taken via ambulance to the ER and each time I was given medicine to stop the vomiting and dizziness in the ER and after a few hours released. After the first episode, I visited and ENT, who said he found nothing wrong with my ear and didn't think it was Vertigo. I think now I need to see and neurologist. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of Vertigo attack? I am a female, 46 yrs old.

Comment from: luvmyzoe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

Vertigo has pretty much taken over my life! I can't sleep laying down straight, I have lay propped up on my couch, and it gets worse when I am at work. It gets to the point where my head is spinning and I have to sit down or hold myself up against a wall. My doctor prescribed me Antivert but it really hasn't done much for me. Hopefully he can help me and try something different because this vertigo has started to take over my life.

Comment from: margie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

One day I turned around to look behind me and BOOM! I was so dizzy and I just felt so sick to my stomach. I was in such a sweat, my heart was just pounding and I thought I was having a heart attack. I made my way to a chair and asked my boss for help (I was at work). He then had me call my daughter who took me to the ER. I was admitted to the hospital and kept there for two say and I still have not gone back to work because of the symptoms. I work in a deli and I miss dealing with people and this just really depresses me.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever try any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?