Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had some days when I had vertigo in bed, but it subsided when I got up. Then this weekend I had it, it went away when I got up, but then hit me hard when I looked up at the ceiling. I was nauseated and had trouble walking or moving. I took Bonine, which is over-the-counter meclizine, that I always have for motion sickness, then Benadryl to shrink any swollen membranes. I had it for about 5 hours. Then I was fine the next day and the third day it was back again all day. The fourth day I have had it in the morning and couldn't drive, but it subsides by mid-afternoon. I may have some swelling in one ear so I'm going to the ENT. I also have ringing in my ears which he says is Tinnitus. I'm not sure if tinnitus and vertigo go hand in hand or not. Bonine does help very well for motion sickness!

Comment from: juju, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was first diagnosed with benign positional vertigo this past July after suddenly being unable to get out of bed without falling, not being able to look up without the feeling of spinning, and unable to look at anything moving without losing my balance. I had a stroke due to a car accident at age 33. Since then I have had weakness in my right side and fall a lot. In July, the doctors did an EKG, CAT scan, and an MRI because of my history. All were normal. The medicine they prescribed never really helped. I did finally go to a chiropractor who treats this and found almost instant relief. However, now I have been running a fever for four days with no other symptoms and the vertigo is back. It's much milder than before, but it's still scary. When I feel better, I will go to the chiropractor again.

Comment from: gkl, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have had vertigo, and I have beaten it! The first time, I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room and given a bunch of tests. It was then that I was told I had Vertigo. I was given Meclizine, which I would use whenever the symptoms of nausea and dizziness came along. I would go into a dark, air-conditioned room and it would get better after a few days. I would almost always get the symptoms as soon as my head hit the pillow or when I turned over in bed, or whenever I looked high up in the sky at something. I was determined to beat it and found that by placing both hands over my ears and pressing inwards, creating suction a couple of times whenever I felt it coming on, that would help eliminate the symptoms of vertigo. I believe that the suction created by the hands does something to those out-of-place crystals in the inner ear canal. I no longer have vertigo!

Comment from: Cori, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I am a 35 year old mother. I have 2 sons: Joey is 10 and Chase is 10 months old. My husband was laid off his job as a brick layer. I just had a baby and we could not afford our apartment so we moved in with my husband's father, and his girlfriend of 15 years. A month after we moved in, my husband's sister got kicked out if her house for stealing $800.00 in change to support her Percocet problem. She also has 2 kids; one is 4 and the other one is 8 months old. It's like I live in a zoo now. The other night when the kids were in bed, she was high off her Percocet and decided to use my head as punching bag. She broke my nose, she bruised my ear and I have about 5 lumps in my head the size of baseballs, thank God my husband heard me yelling and came to the rescue and pulled her off of me. When I went to the hospital they only gave me an x-ray of my nose, told me in was broken... Ever since I woke up this morning with a bad headache, double vision, blurred vision, abnormal eye movements, feeling very weak, I was off balance and dizzy. It was hard to carry my 10 months old. Now I am having shaking in my left arm, it comes and goes. I decided to look up my symptoms on the computer and it brought me to the Vertigo page. I am thinking I should go back to the ER I went to and ask them for a CT scan. I tried to call my family doctor and they told me the soonest I could get seen by a doctor would be Thursday afternoon. I can't wait that long. I'm scared....

Comment from: terry, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Last night at 1am, there was a lightning storm and a lightning strike apparently hit really close to our house and woke me up. IT was so loud and startling that I jumped out of bed and my heart was racing - truly the loudest, most reverberating strike I've witnessed. It must have hit a transformer, because all the lights across the street went out. I went back to sleep but this morning I woke up very dizzy and have had vertigo most of the day.

Comment from: June, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 23

It started out with severe nausea that lasted most of the night. I was feeling better but the next day, I still felt weak. The third night, I was still nauseated and staggering, and I even needed help to get to the bathroom. I finally called my doctor and he advised me to go to the emergency room. They gave me medicine for the nausea and for dizziness and they did a CT scan to rule out the possibility of a stroke. I was finally diagnosed with vertigo. This sickness is similar to motion sickness or sea sickness, but I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. They also gave me two prescriptions that I need to get filled.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include:
  • vasovagal,
  • situational,
  • postural,
  • ...
learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?