Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Comment from: Rani, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I first noticed that I wasn't walking in a straight line and was heading off to the left. This went on for some time. Then I noticed that when I was driving I didn't feel 'grounded'. Eventually I couldn't drive because of the vertigo. Now I can't walk unless I hang on to something. I have had my eye tested, I go to the physiotherapy and chiropractor. This has been going on for over 5 weeks. It is affecting my job and day to day life. Hearing test is next and then a CT scan. It has been good reading of other people's experiences as it doesn't make you feel so alone.

Comment from: JessyeLyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been suffering with these vertigo episodes for 5 days now. I have never felt anything like this before. In the beginning I thought it was just something quirky my head was doing. After the second day, I realized that there was something else going on. Today being the 5th day, I decided to get to the doctor. I have been diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. I have been prescribed meclizine. I am unsure what has caused this. I am 33 years old and have never experienced anything like this in my life. Although I do have chronic inner ear infections. I also was in a car accident 10 months ago that has severally messed my neck up. This is unlike any feeling you will ever know. It is not dizziness and yet it is. I just hope they find a solution to this soon.

Comment from: jOAN, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was being treated for Lyme disease with an antibiotic called doxycycline for over a week and was feeling better. On the 8th day I took the pill a few minutes before going to bed for the night and when I lay down, the room was spinning so bad I thought I had a stroke. I then felt like throwing up and got out of bed and fell into a wall. I hugged the toilet for hours throwing up and then had dry heaves. I called my doctor the next day and went to see him. I feel dizzy but he gave me motion sickness pills and I have to go get a MRI. I wonder if the vertigo could be a side effect of the drug.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

Yesterday, Sunday, 3rd May 2015, I had my worst attack of vertigo. During the night I got up to go to the toilet and knew I had vertigo. When I went to get up in the morning I could not walk except holding on to something sturdy; even that was frightening. Usually when I stay in bed, I am able to get up around 5 pm. But yesterday I had to stay in bed all day and by 11 pm I was slightly improved. I took the medication prescribed by my doctor. I have never taken medication before for vertigo. Today I am out of bed and able to walk slowly.

Comment from: cheddie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

About a month ago I got out of my bed in the morning and got very dizzy. This had never happened to me before. About 10 minutes later I started vomiting and couldn't eat at all. Even water and juice came back up! I went to see my doctor and was told I had vertigo. He wrote down the name of a drug to buy over the counter. I was told by the pharmacist it was sea sick medicine. I had been sick for about a week! I got up this morning but no dizziness! I started vomiting so took 2 pills for sea sickness. An hour later the nausea was gone. I ate today with no problem at all. It worked and I am still feeling great! I will stay on it for a few days! I only hope this doesn't happen all the time but seems like it's easily fixed for me!

Comment from: MTYDALLAS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I went to an ear doctor just to clean up my left ear. The doctor did it dry, not the way my other doctor did it before, with a syringe and warm water. I remember the doctor saying, 'what is that', and trying to yank it out of my ear. It was a nerve in my inner ear that is causing me have double vision and headaches almost daily. I went to my family doctor in Dallas and told him what the ear doctor did to my ear. My doctor in Dallas right away said that it was causing me having vertigo. Now, I have double vision, headaches and without medication I see double once in a while.

Comment from: gabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was recently diagnosed with severe vertigo, having had episodes in the past but light episodes. I never suffer nausea, maybe my diagnosis is wrong! My dizziness continues when I lie down and try to sleep it off. My severe episode hit me hard and my head felt like it was falling off. I thought I was dying. I could only see a little when I turned my head to the left. The whole thing lasted several seconds. I called my sister to take me to the emergency room.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?