Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

...
Comment from: linniegypt@yahoo.com, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I'm so tired of people describing vertigo as dizziness. I know what dizzy is, I was anemic as a child into my teen years and often became dizzy or faint. Vertigo is a whole different animal. I can't tell you how horrifying it is to suddenly open your eyes from a deep sleep with the sensation of a great need to right yourself...reaching out for any stable surface to hold onto in order to keep from landing on your head and the bonus being that your eyeballs are vibrating. When I called my E.N.T. doctor for an appointment his dingbat at the desk said "Oh, you're dizzy? Do you feel faint?" I said "NO! I'm having an episode of vertigo!" She said "O.K. you're feeling dizzy, how about next Thursday?" GEEZE LOUISE. Somebody out there must know the difference.

Comment from: Milwaukee Irish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have suffered from vertigo off and on for more than 29 years. I was diagnosed with a middle ear infection and the doctor treated it with Meclizine. It helps somewhat with the dizziness, but it knocks you out. All you do is sleep, and it doesn't cure the problem, it only treats the symptoms -- taking the dizziness away. I finally went to the best ENT in Milwaukee and he said treating it with an allergy medication is what works. I also have a lot of allergies -- seasonal, environmental, animals -- so I do need to take something for that. By taking one tablet every day (I now use Singulair, but I have used Claritin and Zyrtec in the past), I am vertigo-free. Almost as a test, this past spring I happened to be out of my prescription for several weeks and didn't take anything. Sure enough, the vertigo came back. As soon as I was back on Singulair for about six days straight, the vertigo was gone again. I will never be without the allergy medication again. As I understand it, the allergy medication dries up the fluid in your ears that causes the vertigo. I have no medical background, but this method really has worked for me.

Comment from: steve, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

Hi Lynn Marie, I was diagnosed with vertigo a few months ago, I was off work for a month and a half altogether. I was constantly dizzy and very very weak, barely able to walk straight. After constant trips to the doctor he finally prescribed me a tablet called "SERC". I have responded brilliantly to it, and although it is not completely gone, I am now back at work and getting on with my life.

Comment from: Betty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I also have vertigo and was given meclizine and it didn't work I went back to the doctor and was given Lorazepam 0.5mg and it works wonders. I take a dramamine every day when I get up and take the Lorazepam when I feel the symptoms coming on, then I lay down and sleep for a few hours. I haven't had a "bad" case of vertigo since the first one in May 09. I had to be carried out on a stretcher and taken by ambulance the first time because I couldn't sit up because of the nausea. Hope this helps LynnMarie and anybody else with this awful problem

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I was diagnosed with vertigo about 17 years ago. I was on the fire department got an alarm about 4:30 am and couldn't get down a set of steps at the fire station. My captain thought I was having a heart attack. I was sent to the hospital by ambulance. I also suffer from depression, panic attacks, high blood pressure, type II diabetes and skin cancer. I am 71 yrs old. This past week, the vertigo has come back and I have a hard time going to bed because of the feeling of the room spinning around. I plan on going to my family doctor to see if he can find out what is causing this. I just want to be able to spend my golden years enjoying my wife and myself.

My husband acquired an outer ear infection two years ago. At the hospital, he was treated for a bacterial infection. Three days later, he suffered facial paralysis and severe pain in his ear and right side of his head. After being admitted to the hospital, it was discovered he had shingles and the virus had spread to his brain. He underwent six months of therapy for his accompanying dizziness and vestibular problems. Now two years later, he is still dizzy and has numerous balance problems. He cannot drive or perform normal activities. He only gets relief when he lies down; so much of his life is spent in bed. If he had been given Valtrex the first day he went to the hospital, he may not be as bad as he is. The doctor says that the nerve from the inner ear to the brain is damaged, as well as two facial nerves. He looks like he had a stroke. He must walk with a cane to support himself so he does not fall down. He is taking gabapentin for the pain and meclizine for the dizziness along with an antidepressant. He is soon to start another round of therapy for the dizziness.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?