Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

...
Comment from: Numo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I woke up in the middle of the night. I had to cling to the walls I was so dizzy. I was lightheaded and sick to my stomach. I had ringing in my ears. I went to emergency room that morning to make sure it was not a stroke. Lucky for me it was not. It was vertigo.

Comment from: vertigogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I did not read all of the blogs and I do see them some people do fall or have to hang on. I wonder if anyone has TMJ along with this. I do and I think it may all be linked together affecting vestibular nerve.

Comment from: vertigogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

So I have everything mentioned in these blogs except the vomiting. No one has mentioned that when their head spins that they lose total control of their body and they fall. This is my experience yet am told it is still vertigo.

Comment from: peterpan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

My symptoms were spinning, dizziness, nausea, and difficulty walking.

Comment from: Bessie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

If I0 bend over the room starts spinning around and I get nauseated. If I am lying down and turn my head to the right the room spins around and my eyes feel like they are twitching and my stomach instantly gets nauseated.

Comment from: Laine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have been hit hard at times with vertigo. What I mean is that sometimes, I can't do a thing. I live alone and I have always been active. I got up this morning and I could hardly move because of this vertigo. I wonder what can be done about it.

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I am a 57 year old woman. I was playing with my granddaughter in the backyard. Suddenly I felt dizzy. Then it quickly progressed to everything spinning and I was unbalanced. Four days later, here I am feeling like I'm tilting, spinning as subsided to "shifting." Meclizine did nothing at all but put me out. Dr. said it could last a couple of days but what I'm hearing from all of you is that it can last a couple of weeks!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am unable to walk. It is as though there is no feeling in my legs.

Comment from: Anti-Vertigo, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 29

My father (who is in his mid nineties) has just had his second attack of vertigo. The first attack happened about 1year ago and he ended up in the ER with a battery of tests. This second attack has lasted continuously for three weeks (dizziness, no balance). Vertigo is so debilitating he can hardly walk.

Comment from: Spencer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

Hello, I am 21 years old and I have been diagnosed with positional vertigo. I had vertigo once before about a year ago that went along with an shingles but it went away after a week or two. This time, about 8 weeks ago I was in a car when I started to get car sick. The next night the same thing happened. I thought it was just car sickness but throughout the week I would randomly get nauseated. It would happen more often as the sun would go down. After a week I was driving when the road started to disappear and start whirling around. I pulled over and started stumbling feeling "drunk" almost and went to the ER. They took blood tests and sent me away. Since then I've been to many doctors and believe that it was caused by a head injury. I was prescribed Meclizine to help with dizziness and nausea but it did not seem to work. I started to take ginger pills as well which seemed to not make a difference.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

First time it hit was in 2000. It was so bad I passed out. I was hospitalized, and I had a number of tests including spinal tap to see if it was MS. Vertigo comes back every couple of years, I take Antivert and stay in bed as I can't turn my head or walk without assistance. This time, while not that bad is taking longer to go away - meds are knocking me out. I feel like I'm drunk, have a heavy head and am tired.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?