Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

...
Comment from: Joecigar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I am a 53 year old male. Last Sunday my buddy and I were on our way to Daytona for the last day of Bike Week. I had just gotten on my bike when the BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) struck. Luckily I was able to get to the side of the road and off the bike before almost fainting. Instantly I was vomiting and sweating with this uncontrollable spin. Minutes later I was in the back of the ambulance en route to the hospital and diagnosed with a possible stroke. My EKGs and blood pressure were all whacked out. As they prepare me for surgery my results came back from the scans, everything was clear, less than 5 percent blockage in arteries and the brain was clear. But still my vertigo is disabling my life. I am ready to have a clear head without these motions and feel stable. I really am frustrated with the lack of understanding that people have with vertigo. It truly is disabling.

Comment from: fraz, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have been suffering from vertigo for the last few months. I feel dizzy mostly when I lie down and when I take a left turn I spin.

Comment from: marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

October of 2014 is when my world became a difficult place to navigate. I feel at times spacey or like I am on a moving boat. Some days are better than others. Today is hard. I do have a fair amount of arthritis in my neck and as a result my fair share of headaches. Recently I had an MRI and another test, can't think of the name of it, but they both were done at the same time. That was to check the brain, and arteries of head and neck. That came out normal. I was seen by ear, nose and throat doctor twice and he sent me to neurosurgeon (because of my neck). My neurological exam was pretty normal as well. I still do not have a diagnosis! We have some theories; I had a virus in 2014, and that possibly caused a nerve to be inflamed, the one leading from ear to the brain, causing the vertigo. Trying some prednisone for that possibility. Oh, and I get tension headaches and ringing in my ears (new). I am so frustrated.

Comment from: Anxious, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I woke up on my right side and the room was spinning. I turned to my left side hoping changing positions would help. It did not. I then turned to my back and it subsided somewhat but the moment I moved back to the right side in order to get upright, it began over again. I waited for several minutes for it to subside and made sure I could walk safely. I went to the bathroom and the movement made me start heaving. Nothing came up but I dry heaved every time I tried to move. I ended up later in the day going to the emergency room. I was told that I had inner ear stones. That minute calcium particles had dislodged and were floating around in the fluid and causing me to feel unbalanced. I went through several movement tests and it seemed that my vertigo had gone. I went home was fine for the rest of the night. The next day I was much better but the following day I was right back to the dizziness and am currently experiencing the same symptoms four days later. If my symptoms continue, I will contact my doctor.

Comment from: Amenhotep, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I am a 37 year old male and I have had Vertigo since I was 12 years old. When my first episode happened I was rushed to the ER and proceeded to vomit all over the place. Needless to say after an MRI and CAT scan and had suspected that I had a brain tumor. Needless to say I didn't. It seems that every 4-5 years I have a huge spell of Vertigo that knocks me out for a week. I am unable to move without throwing up. One day I looked in the mirror (or tried to) and my eye balls were going crazy, going right to left repeatedly. I can sympathize with all of you who are battling this. When a bout hits, it really hits. Although I have been unable to find a cure or find medication that works (willing to try anything), I have found some interesting ways to combat it: If it only happens when you lay down, try laying on your stomach (slowly) and face down. You're going to have to sleep like that all night long so find a good body pillow. The one thing I have found is that the only cure is to let your body work its way through it. It usually takes 3-7 days depending. If anyone has found medication that works please share! Although I have been unable to find a cure or find medication that works (willing to try anything), I have found some interesting ways to combat it: If it only happens when you lay down, try laying on your stomach (slowly) and face down. Your going to have to sleep like that all night long so find a good body pillow. The one thing I have found is that the only cure I have found is to let your body work its way through it. It usually takes 3-7 days depending. If anyone has found medication that works please share!

Comment from: CATHERINESS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My vertigo experience was horrendous. I had my ears cleaned and because of wax leaking out of me in buckets, and had trouble with the situation. I went to a neurologist and had 6 tests and now am on lamotrigine.

Comment from: caryl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I went on a cruise, which I had done before with no problems. The sail was very smooth. Within 12 hours of boarding, I became very ill. The room was spinning for my entire trip and I did not enjoy even a single minute of fun. I've been home for a week now and I'm still feeling the same. I can't drive or go anywhere safely. My doctor put me on meclizine, 25mg, but it has not helped.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include:
  • vasovagal,
  • situational,
  • postural,
  • ...
learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?