Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

One morning when I got out of bed, my room started spinning. It pulled me to the right and I felt like I was falling. I actually ran into the wall. This has continued for several days if I move too quickly or turn my head to the right. There is also ringing in my ears. I thought it would finally go away but I guess I'll have to make a doctor visit if it continues.

Comment from: oside7, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

My first feeling of vertigo was not the bad at first. I noticed myself little by little getting dizzy and getting the spins when I went to sleep and laid on my left side. When I was driving the car would sometimes feel like I was floating side to side. I would shake my head to clear it. My doctor gave me Meclizine 5 mg.

Comment from: amb40, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 43 years old, and for the past year and a half my world has been spinning out of control. This is actually worse than giving birth. I don't know when its going to happen, if I turn my head without my body, I go straight into an attack. This is no normal attack. I go from happy-go-lucky to the other extreme: throwing up sweating, spinning out of control. I don't understand why, I can't even get my medication down before I start throwing up. Have no idea what to do about it. I know that usually my left side is affected mostly if I lay on my left side that's the worst. Not to sure if it is my blood pressure, my weight or if this is what I will have to live with for the rest of my life. I'm hoping it will just go away as fast as it has hit me.

Comment from: Sayep AB Malla, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I didn't know what Vertigo was until recently. I live and work in Nepal. I had the first bout in June 2011. It happened in the wee hours of morning. I felt the room spinning and at first I thought I was experiencing a massive earthquake. It was as if someone was spinning me with my both legs held together. I even felt (thought) my bed was rocking. After it subsided, I felt like vomiting and dizziness but nothing came out of my stomach. The second bout was in June 2012 and the third bout happened on the wee hours. It occurred on me once a year in June/July. I was diagonized with cerebral spondylosis and given Stemtil 5 mg 1 tab BD for 5 days (SOS) to control my dizziness. I hope I am getting the right treatment.

Comment from: Numo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I woke up in the middle of the night. I had to cling to the walls I was so dizzy. I was lightheaded and sick to my stomach. I had ringing in my ears. I went to emergency room that morning to make sure it was not a stroke. Lucky for me it was not. It was vertigo.

Comment from: vertigogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I did not read all of the blogs and I do see them some people do fall or have to hang on. I wonder if anyone has TMJ along with this. I do and I think it may all be linked together affecting vestibular nerve.

Comment from: vertigogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

So I have everything mentioned in these blogs except the vomiting. No one has mentioned that when their head spins that they lose total control of their body and they fall. This is my experience yet am told it is still vertigo.

Comment from: peterpan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

My symptoms were spinning, dizziness, nausea, and difficulty walking.

Comment from: Bessie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

If I0 bend over the room starts spinning around and I get nauseated. If I am lying down and turn my head to the right the room spins around and my eyes feel like they are twitching and my stomach instantly gets nauseated.

Comment from: Laine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have been hit hard at times with vertigo. What I mean is that sometimes, I can't do a thing. I live alone and I have always been active. I got up this morning and I could hardly move because of this vertigo. I wonder what can be done about it.

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I am a 57 year old woman. I was playing with my granddaughter in the backyard. Suddenly I felt dizzy. Then it quickly progressed to everything spinning and I was unbalanced. Four days later, here I am feeling like I'm tilting, spinning as subsided to "shifting." Meclizine did nothing at all but put me out. Dr. said it could last a couple of days but what I'm hearing from all of you is that it can last a couple of weeks!

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?