Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Comment from: SCorbitt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have suffered with vertigo now for 5 years. The first time it happened I had just woke up from being asleep and thought I was still drowsy from waking up, but found out quick that wasn't the case. Thank goodness someone else was there to dial my husband's cell number and get me a trash can. I have had MRIs, CT scans, hearing loss in both ears and been seen by neurologists, neurosurgeons, and ENTs. They have somewhat determined that it is vestibular and nervous system as well as the inner ear causing my vertigo but there isn't a medication or cure for the problem, go figure. So, for now, I live with this day in and day out and my episodes can be 1 day to 2 weeks long. It has been this way for 5 years now and I am not able to work anymore because of it.

Comment from: lvnanz, 55-64 Female Published: June 06

I am 64years old retired 2 weeks ago living in Vegas. I am now visiting family in Indiana. I have never have I had this problem, and it is very scary. Over the weekend, I was sitting on the sofa watching TV, when without warning everything in room was doing flip flops, even the sofa I was sitting on. This lasted about 5-10 seconds I had no sense of balance and tried to hold on to anything that would support me though I was sitting down. On Sunday I was sitting down watching my son's softball game when without warning the same thing happened. Everything around me flip flopping around. I could not sit straight as everything around me was moving and I was trying to hold on to the bleachers without toppling over. My doctor is in Las Vegas and I will be here for 2 more weeks. I wish there was a warning for this.

Comment from: annette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I feel unbalanced when walking with the room spinning occasionally. I had symptoms for 3 weeks and I'm not getting any better.

Comment from: rafeaves, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had vertigo for almost 50 years and have had some real bad times with it. This last time I had one was in the last year and my primary doctor sent me to an ear, nose and throw doctor. I really didn't think this would help any more than the other visits did. He surprised me when he did a procedure to help. He put a head piece over my head and it shook my head and I was real scared but it turned out it really did help. I was floored and it turns out if I go back every six months, he will do it again. I am scheduled to get another one next week. I sure hope it works as good as the first time. Just think all those years I have suffered and they really have given me hope and relief. I will let you know how this one goes.

Comment from: jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was first diagnosed with vertigo 25 years ago and have suffered off and on for most of the time. I find turning quickly brings it on and also turning over in bed. As a child I suffered with ear problems and my doctor seemed to think that this could have caused my problem. He gave me medications which apparently works on the center of the brain and helps to stabilize the spinning sensation, although it doesn't always work. it seems to help when I only have a mild attack.

Comment from: Miki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I woke up with vertigo about 6 years ago after a long illness. I sleep sitting up about 30 degrees but even then, it feels like I'm spinning and I find myself opening my eyes expecting to be in a full spin. I am SO tired of this. I want my life back!

Comment from: Browneyes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have had vertigo for over 10 years following a severe ear infection. I could not walk and had to crawl on my hands and knees and ended up in hospital for 9 days. I take meds every day and have positional treatments when it gets too bad. I am so sick of feeling this way. My whole life revolves around when another episode will occur. I can only sleep on one side and if I turn over my world spins. I had X-ray on hip today and when I laid down my world spun. I felt like passing out. Thank you, everyone, for sharing. You are not alone or crazy!

Comment from: smgrantham, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Thanks for sharing about vertigo. I woke up two days ago and turned on my right side and the room started spinning really fast. It finally eased up enough for me to get up, but continued off and on usually when I moved my head or bent over. I had a virus about a week ago that caused congestion and sinus blockage and fluid in my ears so I'm assuming that's what's causing it. I've had some queasiness, but no vomiting. If it continues, I'll go in to see my doctor. Reading your comments has helped ease my anxiety about this being something really serious.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?