Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am unable to walk. It is as though there is no feeling in my legs.

Comment from: Anti-Vertigo, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 29

My father (who is in his mid nineties) has just had his second attack of vertigo. The first attack happened about 1year ago and he ended up in the ER with a battery of tests. This second attack has lasted continuously for three weeks (dizziness, no balance). Vertigo is so debilitating he can hardly walk.

Comment from: Spencer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

Hello, I am 21 years old and I have been diagnosed with positional vertigo. I had vertigo once before about a year ago that went along with an shingles but it went away after a week or two. This time, about 8 weeks ago I was in a car when I started to get car sick. The next night the same thing happened. I thought it was just car sickness but throughout the week I would randomly get nauseated. It would happen more often as the sun would go down. After a week I was driving when the road started to disappear and start whirling around. I pulled over and started stumbling feeling "drunk" almost and went to the ER. They took blood tests and sent me away. Since then I've been to many doctors and believe that it was caused by a head injury. I was prescribed Meclizine to help with dizziness and nausea but it did not seem to work. I started to take ginger pills as well which seemed to not make a difference.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

First time it hit was in 2000. It was so bad I passed out. I was hospitalized, and I had a number of tests including spinal tap to see if it was MS. Vertigo comes back every couple of years, I take Antivert and stay in bed as I can't turn my head or walk without assistance. This time, while not that bad is taking longer to go away - meds are knocking me out. I feel like I'm drunk, have a heavy head and am tired.

Comment from: SCorbitt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have suffered with vertigo now for 5 years. The first time it happened I had just woke up from being asleep and thought I was still drowsy from waking up, but found out quick that wasn't the case. Thank goodness someone else was there to dial my husband's cell number and get me a trash can. I have had MRIs, CT scans, hearing loss in both ears and been seen by neurologists, neurosurgeons, and ENTs. They have somewhat determined that it is vestibular and nervous system as well as the inner ear causing my vertigo but there isn't a medication or cure for the problem, go figure. So, for now, I live with this day in and day out and my episodes can be 1 day to 2 weeks long. It has been this way for 5 years now and I am not able to work anymore because of it.

Comment from: lvnanz, 55-64 Female Published: June 06

I am 64years old retired 2 weeks ago living in Vegas. I am now visiting family in Indiana. I have never have I had this problem, and it is very scary. Over the weekend, I was sitting on the sofa watching TV, when without warning everything in room was doing flip flops, even the sofa I was sitting on. This lasted about 5-10 seconds I had no sense of balance and tried to hold on to anything that would support me though I was sitting down. On Sunday I was sitting down watching my son's softball game when without warning the same thing happened. Everything around me flip flopping around. I could not sit straight as everything around me was moving and I was trying to hold on to the bleachers without toppling over. My doctor is in Las Vegas and I will be here for 2 more weeks. I wish there was a warning for this.

Comment from: annette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I feel unbalanced when walking with the room spinning occasionally. I had symptoms for 3 weeks and I'm not getting any better.

Comment from: rafeaves, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had vertigo for almost 50 years and have had some real bad times with it. This last time I had one was in the last year and my primary doctor sent me to an ear, nose and throw doctor. I really didn't think this would help any more than the other visits did. He surprised me when he did a procedure to help. He put a head piece over my head and it shook my head and I was real scared but it turned out it really did help. I was floored and it turns out if I go back every six months, he will do it again. I am scheduled to get another one next week. I sure hope it works as good as the first time. Just think all those years I have suffered and they really have given me hope and relief. I will let you know how this one goes.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?