Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was diagnosed 5 days ago. For more than a year I have had the feeling of disorientation. I used to fall often and bump in to things and I could not explain why. I thought I was neurotic for feeling so tired for days on end. This sounds like it could be a permanent problem. I have to see the doctor again in a month's time.

Comment from: luckysam1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

Back in August of 2010, I was rushed to the hospital and the doctors told me it was either vertigo or I was having a mini-stroke. My speech was slurred and I was in and out of being awake or out like a light. Everything was spinning so bad I could not open my eyes and they did give me meds to finally reduce and stop the dizziness. However it took months for the headache to finally go away. All I could do was rest. The remaining effects from this was the left side of my face feels weird as it has a funny sensation to it. Doctors cannot figure that out at all.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I am 62 and have had vertigo for about 3 years. I woke up suddenly one night with the room spinning. At first if I lay on my right side, then on either side. I have bulging disks in my neck and the doc thought that may be causing it but no real answers. I found that if I put a memory foam pillow on top of a regular pillow and kept my head elevated I was ok. Sometimes when my head slips off the top pillow I wake up with the room spinning.

Comment from: little 10, 65-74 Male Published: April 01

It started two nights ago. When I put my head on the pillow I felt like the room was spinning. When I turn over, it does the same thing only it got better. When I get up, I have to sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes for the movement to stop.

Comment from: juanitam_norman@yaho, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I'm going through it right now and I don't like it at all. I'm on medication right now and its making me feel like I'm spinning around all the time. I have been out of work for two days and had to leave work today. The sun light bothered me and everything on the road looked blurred. I just came back home. Even the TV looks funny to me. What to do when you don't have health care and you have to pay out of pocket.

Comment from: BarbieJ58@aol.com, 45-54 Female Published: March 22

Hi, I am a 53 year old woman, and had my first experience of Vertigo about 2 months ago. At first I thought that I was just sick and that it would go away. But it didn't. I was in a car accident on December 6, and was hit hard from behind. I got whiplash really bad, and my doctor feels this is the cause of my vertigo. It went away for a few weeks, but it is back. I am so afraid it will happen while I am driving. I feel like I am drunk. I walk into tables, and people.

Comment from: Troubles22, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I am awakened by the sensation of spinning upon sitting or lying down initially. I cannot get up from lying or sitting down too fast or I may find myself losing control and falling towards the side that is affected. Sometime it's frightening as I can't move from the floor for a few moments. It is a helpless feeling. It seems that once I'm in motion for falling I cannot prevent it. I seem to have it affecting bilaterally and down the center too. At its worst its, it causes terrible nausea.

Comment from: thereshope, 35-44 Male Published: March 21

I had a vertigo experience about 7 months ago. It included the room spinning, my eyes rapidly moving and vomiting. Believe it or not it happened at the hospital when I was visiting a patient. I do not have dizziness, but a sudden attack that feels like I am losing my mind. I feel like I am about to lose control. It is very scary. In the posts that I have read here, no one has exhibited those feelings so I hope I don't have something worse. My episodes last about 5-10 minutes and then go away. I just stop what I am doing and take a deep breath, and go to a place where it is quiet. If you are feeling the same way I hope this helps.

Comment from: tama, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I really didn't understand what was happening to me. I was scared because when I woke up about 4:00am one day, my head was spinning causing nausea and vomiting. I'm still learning and I had another attack just recently.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?