Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Comment from: jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was first diagnosed with vertigo 25 years ago and have suffered off and on for most of the time. I find turning quickly brings it on and also turning over in bed. As a child I suffered with ear problems and my doctor seemed to think that this could have caused my problem. He gave me medications which apparently works on the center of the brain and helps to stabilize the spinning sensation, although it doesn't always work. it seems to help when I only have a mild attack.

Comment from: Miki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I woke up with vertigo about 6 years ago after a long illness. I sleep sitting up about 30 degrees but even then, it feels like I'm spinning and I find myself opening my eyes expecting to be in a full spin. I am SO tired of this. I want my life back!

Comment from: Browneyes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have had vertigo for over 10 years following a severe ear infection. I could not walk and had to crawl on my hands and knees and ended up in hospital for 9 days. I take meds every day and have positional treatments when it gets too bad. I am so sick of feeling this way. My whole life revolves around when another episode will occur. I can only sleep on one side and if I turn over my world spins. I had X-ray on hip today and when I laid down my world spun. I felt like passing out. Thank you, everyone, for sharing. You are not alone or crazy!

Comment from: smgrantham, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Thanks for sharing about vertigo. I woke up two days ago and turned on my right side and the room started spinning really fast. It finally eased up enough for me to get up, but continued off and on usually when I moved my head or bent over. I had a virus about a week ago that caused congestion and sinus blockage and fluid in my ears so I'm assuming that's what's causing it. I've had some queasiness, but no vomiting. If it continues, I'll go in to see my doctor. Reading your comments has helped ease my anxiety about this being something really serious.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was diagnosed 5 days ago. For more than a year I have had the feeling of disorientation. I used to fall often and bump in to things and I could not explain why. I thought I was neurotic for feeling so tired for days on end. This sounds like it could be a permanent problem. I have to see the doctor again in a month's time.

Comment from: luckysam1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

Back in August of 2010, I was rushed to the hospital and the doctors told me it was either vertigo or I was having a mini-stroke. My speech was slurred and I was in and out of being awake or out like a light. Everything was spinning so bad I could not open my eyes and they did give me meds to finally reduce and stop the dizziness. However it took months for the headache to finally go away. All I could do was rest. The remaining effects from this was the left side of my face feels weird as it has a funny sensation to it. Doctors cannot figure that out at all.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I am 62 and have had vertigo for about 3 years. I woke up suddenly one night with the room spinning. At first if I lay on my right side, then on either side. I have bulging disks in my neck and the doc thought that may be causing it but no real answers. I found that if I put a memory foam pillow on top of a regular pillow and kept my head elevated I was ok. Sometimes when my head slips off the top pillow I wake up with the room spinning.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?