Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

...
Comment from: Anxious, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I woke up on my right side and the room was spinning. I turned to my left side hoping changing positions would help. It did not. I then turned to my back and it subsided somewhat but the moment I moved back to the right side in order to get upright, it began over again. I waited for several minutes for it to subside and made sure I could walk safely. I went to the bathroom and the movement made me start heaving. Nothing came up but I dry heaved every time I tried to move. I ended up later in the day going to the emergency room. I was told that I had inner ear stones. That minute calcium particles had dislodged and were floating around in the fluid and causing me to feel unbalanced. I went through several movement tests and it seemed that my vertigo had gone. I went home was fine for the rest of the night. The next day I was much better but the following day I was right back to the dizziness and am currently experiencing the same symptoms four days later. If my symptoms continue, I will contact my doctor.

Comment from: Amenhotep, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I am a 37 year old male and I have had Vertigo since I was 12 years old. When my first episode happened I was rushed to the ER and proceeded to vomit all over the place. Needless to say after an MRI and CAT scan and had suspected that I had a brain tumor. Needless to say I didn't. It seems that every 4-5 years I have a huge spell of Vertigo that knocks me out for a week. I am unable to move without throwing up. One day I looked in the mirror (or tried to) and my eye balls were going crazy, going right to left repeatedly. I can sympathize with all of you who are battling this. When a bout hits, it really hits. Although I have been unable to find a cure or find medication that works (willing to try anything), I have found some interesting ways to combat it: If it only happens when you lay down, try laying on your stomach (slowly) and face down. You're going to have to sleep like that all night long so find a good body pillow. The one thing I have found is that the only cure is to let your body work its way through it. It usually takes 3-7 days depending. If anyone has found medication that works please share! Although I have been unable to find a cure or find medication that works (willing to try anything), I have found some interesting ways to combat it: If it only happens when you lay down, try laying on your stomach (slowly) and face down. Your going to have to sleep like that all night long so find a good body pillow. The one thing I have found is that the only cure I have found is to let your body work its way through it. It usually takes 3-7 days depending. If anyone has found medication that works please share!

Comment from: johnboy, 45-54 Male Published: August 15

I am a 52 year-old male. I live alone on a boat. Yesterday morning I got out of bed and thought the boat was rocking. It wasn't. It was me. My symptoms for the entire day were a spinning sensation, loss of balance, nausea with vomiting, and no appetite. It is now about 24 hours later and it seems like the symptoms have subsided some. Now I have ringing in the ears. I have been treating pain for a rotator cuff tear with Vicodin. I wonder if vertigo could be a side effect.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

One morning when I got out of bed, my room started spinning. It pulled me to the right and I felt like I was falling. I actually ran into the wall. This has continued for several days if I move too quickly or turn my head to the right. There is also ringing in my ears. I thought it would finally go away but I guess I'll have to make a doctor visit if it continues.

Comment from: oside7, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

My first feeling of vertigo was not the bad at first. I noticed myself little by little getting dizzy and getting the spins when I went to sleep and laid on my left side. When I was driving the car would sometimes feel like I was floating side to side. I would shake my head to clear it. My doctor gave me Meclizine 5 mg.

Comment from: amb40, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 43 years old, and for the past year and a half my world has been spinning out of control. This is actually worse than giving birth. I don't know when its going to happen, if I turn my head without my body, I go straight into an attack. This is no normal attack. I go from happy-go-lucky to the other extreme: throwing up sweating, spinning out of control. I don't understand why, I can't even get my medication down before I start throwing up. Have no idea what to do about it. I know that usually my left side is affected mostly if I lay on my left side that's the worst. Not to sure if it is my blood pressure, my weight or if this is what I will have to live with for the rest of my life. I'm hoping it will just go away as fast as it has hit me.

Comment from: Sayep AB Malla, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I didn't know what Vertigo was until recently. I live and work in Nepal. I had the first bout in June 2011. It happened in the wee hours of morning. I felt the room spinning and at first I thought I was experiencing a massive earthquake. It was as if someone was spinning me with my both legs held together. I even felt (thought) my bed was rocking. After it subsided, I felt like vomiting and dizziness but nothing came out of my stomach. The second bout was in June 2012 and the third bout happened on the wee hours. It occurred on me once a year in June/July. I was diagonized with cerebral spondylosis and given Stemtil 5 mg 1 tab BD for 5 days (SOS) to control my dizziness. I hope I am getting the right treatment.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?