Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Comment from: gayle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I don't know when vertigo started, I lost my hearing after a virus and with hearing aid I get by. I've had episodes of dizziness and they didn't last very long. They said it is middle ear fluid, gave medication and I took physical education to learn how to cope with dizziness. Then in November 2014 these episodes became more frequent to severe, I did not have nausea but I couldn't walk without help. I was given medication again, but it lasted for nearly 3 months, and in severity up and down. I stopped drinking coffee, tea, and wine, and changed diet but nothing seemed to make much difference. I was put on antibiotic and prednisone for six weeks, and yes, there was a marked improvement. Hearing improved, balance improved and I felt good, able to do things I had not been able to do for months. I've stopped prednisone a week ago and antibiotic 10 days ago. I was working in the yard bending over and bingo; I was spinning and balance was bad. I took one merazine and lay down, and am feeling better, but up now and looking for answers. MRI and scans show no reason for dizziness. May be middle ear and Epley don't work with this.

Comment from: sis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have been dealing with dizziness for years and always thought it was due to a bad neck, but recently this has been going on in my sleep. It literally would wake me up, and really scared me so I decided to see a doctor. I found out I have vertigo, and now it's time for recovery from this. I start therapy this week, can't wait, I felt like I was losing my mind.

Comment from: Jenean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have had vertigo foe the past five years. I fainted once and was unconscious for about twenty minutes. I take meclizine but that's not working any more. I have dizziness nausea, blurred vision, and ringing in the ear. I tend to be tired a lot and have trouble keeping my balance; can't even walk a straight line. I saw a doctor who gave me a medication normally used for anxiety but that did nothing to help.

Comment from: Bristol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I never even heard of vertigo until now. I was sitting outside and all of a sudden everything was spinning and rushing by me. I was unable to walk without falling onto the walls. I tried lying down in every position, and nothing helped. Then I started throwing up. I was rushed to the hospital to be sure it wasn't a stroke. They told me this was vertigo. I was in the hospital for 1 week. I went home and I'm still having problems 4 weeks later. If it helps any, I found several things that does help. My biggest problem is when I am driving. You never know when you are going to start with that floating woozy feeling, then following that is the spinning. Easy solution - just chew gum. The chewing creates movement in your ears and you are back to normal. I have really bad sinus problems. I noticed days my sinuses were infected, my vertigo would act up, on and off on that day. Another easy solution. I would mix 2 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar with 'the mother of vinegar' and 2 tablespoons of raw local honey with warm water and drink it once in the morning and once at night. This helps with my sinus problem and the vertigo problem went away. If I do the 2 things above it keeps me from having the floating, and spinning problem. It doesn't cure it. But it helps you manage the problem so you can function through the day. I am hoping in time this mess goes away. I feel for anyone that has this. I hope what I found out helps you too. It really works for me.

Comment from: Joecigar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I am a 53 year old male. Last Sunday my buddy and I were on our way to Daytona for the last day of Bike Week. I had just gotten on my bike when the BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) struck. Luckily I was able to get to the side of the road and off the bike before almost fainting. Instantly I was vomiting and sweating with this uncontrollable spin. Minutes later I was in the back of the ambulance en route to the hospital and diagnosed with a possible stroke. My EKGs and blood pressure were all whacked out. As they prepare me for surgery my results came back from the scans, everything was clear, less than 5 percent blockage in arteries and the brain was clear. But still my vertigo is disabling my life. I am ready to have a clear head without these motions and feel stable. I really am frustrated with the lack of understanding that people have with vertigo. It truly is disabling.

Comment from: fraz, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have been suffering from vertigo for the last few months. I feel dizzy mostly when I lie down and when I take a left turn I spin.

Comment from: marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

October of 2014 is when my world became a difficult place to navigate. I feel at times spacey or like I am on a moving boat. Some days are better than others. Today is hard. I do have a fair amount of arthritis in my neck and as a result my fair share of headaches. Recently I had an MRI and another test, can't think of the name of it, but they both were done at the same time. That was to check the brain, and arteries of head and neck. That came out normal. I was seen by ear, nose and throat doctor twice and he sent me to neurosurgeon (because of my neck). My neurological exam was pretty normal as well. I still do not have a diagnosis! We have some theories; I had a virus in 2014, and that possibly caused a nerve to be inflamed, the one leading from ear to the brain, causing the vertigo. Trying some prednisone for that possibility. Oh, and I get tension headaches and ringing in my ears (new). I am so frustrated.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?