Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Comment from: Okie4Ever, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I fell at Christmas and hit the back of my head. Hard. I had my first attack of Vertigo in March. Don't know if that is related or not, but I was also very stressed in March. The doctors say it is because of crystals in the ear pushing the little hairs in the inner ear out of alignment. I don't know if that is true or not, but I know the meclazine I was prescribed only lessens, but does not get rid of, the symptoms. I also agree "dizziness" is not an adequate description. I literally had to crawl to get to the phone to call for help. I could not stand up. This disease is a nightmare! My attacks typically last for several weeks.

Comment from: tiffany, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

When I sleep on my right side then wake up in the morning the room spins for about 30seconds

Comment from: PAUL, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

Having my first ever vertigo attack today. I went to doctor who diagnosed the problem. The room is spinning and I feel nauseous.

Comment from: bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I had vertigo with an inner ear infection at the age of 33, and again at the age of 47. I had started taking 3,000 mg/day of an antibiotic for a sinus infection. This time at age 57, I have vertigo again, the day after having a massage primarily on my neck.

Comment from: Mercedes, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I am 34 years old and I had my first vertigo attack last year in February. It was awful. I could not think or concentrate and I felt like the world around me was swaying at all times. I was at first prescribed Methylprednisolone for the swelling in my inner ear, but it did not do anything. Then I was prescribed Meclizine and that took care of the problem, until this year when the vertigo came back. So the regimen started again: first with meclizine, then with methylprednisone, then with Valacyclovir (antiviral) and finally with Lorazepam (anti-anxiety). I am 3 weeks into my Vertigo episode and nothing seems to help.

Comment from: Maggie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I've had vertigo off and on for 40 years. I was offered tranquilizers and felt that if it was in my inner ear then seasick tabliets would help, and they do. I take a Dramamine when it first hits and one every 6 hours until it's gone. My attacks are from 3 to 4 years apart. I am in the throes as we speak and this time it went away and came back in a week. It's never happened like this before. But just taking the Dramamine helps. Also, I have had swishing in my ears for. Other than being a nuisance, I manage with the Dramamine.

Comment from: Jenny, 45-54 Female Published: October 18

I have been suffering with Vertigo for over 10 years now. Up until a couple of days ago my last attack was about 4 or 5 years ago. Like most people, my sudden dizziness starts when I wake up and turn my head mainly to the right. I find it so frightening that I sometimes scream and hold on to my partner. I then keep still for a few minutes and attempt to move but slowly. Sometimes I am sick but I always feel unwell and tired for up to a week. My doctor has told me that I will suffer with Vertigo for the rest of my life. Oh the joy!!

Comment from: telly, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I drive a semi truck, and started getting blurred vision(as if my eyes were crossed). This progressed to the point where I could not stand or walk when haveing an episode. Of course out of safety i had to take off of work. The doctor gave me medications, one for dizziness that didnt work, and one for anxiety. They put me to sleep, but its the only thing that works. I don't have insurance as this is a new job. I thought things were getting better but then I had a very frighting episode yesterday. I was stumbling against wall to get to my bed. I also had nausea and sweating. I am scared as I am getting behind on all of my bills and don't know what I am going to do. One doctor says it's my ears. another says it's my inner ear. I have a bad disk in my back that pinches nerves which I am told can also be the problem.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I'm 38 and starting having vertigo symptoms about seven years ago. Usually it starts when I wake up.

Comment from: Caroline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My attacks of vertigo seem to be brought on by being outside in very cold conditions.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?