Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

...
Comment from: Mercedes, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I am 34 years old and I had my first vertigo attack last year in February. It was awful. I could not think or concentrate and I felt like the world around me was swaying at all times. I was at first prescribed Methylprednisolone for the swelling in my inner ear, but it did not do anything. Then I was prescribed Meclizine and that took care of the problem, until this year when the vertigo came back. So the regimen started again: first with meclizine, then with methylprednisone, then with Valacyclovir (antiviral) and finally with Lorazepam (anti-anxiety). I am 3 weeks into my Vertigo episode and nothing seems to help.

Comment from: Maggie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I've had vertigo off and on for 40 years. I was offered tranquilizers and felt that if it was in my inner ear then seasick tabliets would help, and they do. I take a Dramamine when it first hits and one every 6 hours until it's gone. My attacks are from 3 to 4 years apart. I am in the throes as we speak and this time it went away and came back in a week. It's never happened like this before. But just taking the Dramamine helps. Also, I have had swishing in my ears for. Other than being a nuisance, I manage with the Dramamine.

Comment from: Jenny, 45-54 Female Published: October 18

I have been suffering with Vertigo for over 10 years now. Up until a couple of days ago my last attack was about 4 or 5 years ago. Like most people, my sudden dizziness starts when I wake up and turn my head mainly to the right. I find it so frightening that I sometimes scream and hold on to my partner. I then keep still for a few minutes and attempt to move but slowly. Sometimes I am sick but I always feel unwell and tired for up to a week. My doctor has told me that I will suffer with Vertigo for the rest of my life. Oh the joy!!

Comment from: telly, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I drive a semi truck, and started getting blurred vision(as if my eyes were crossed). This progressed to the point where I could not stand or walk when haveing an episode. Of course out of safety i had to take off of work. The doctor gave me medications, one for dizziness that didnt work, and one for anxiety. They put me to sleep, but its the only thing that works. I don't have insurance as this is a new job. I thought things were getting better but then I had a very frighting episode yesterday. I was stumbling against wall to get to my bed. I also had nausea and sweating. I am scared as I am getting behind on all of my bills and don't know what I am going to do. One doctor says it's my ears. another says it's my inner ear. I have a bad disk in my back that pinches nerves which I am told can also be the problem.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I'm 38 and starting having vertigo symptoms about seven years ago. Usually it starts when I wake up.

Comment from: Caroline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My attacks of vertigo seem to be brought on by being outside in very cold conditions.

Comment from: carlton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I had my first experience three days ago. I woke that morning and swung out of bed rather quickly. I felt that I was immediately spinning around inside my head. The sensation left as quickly as it arrived, although I remained slightly dizzy. I dressed and went to church, still vaguely feeling dizzy. By the end of the service I was feeling sick and was unable to stand. When the ambulance attendant laid me on the stretcher the vertigo hit. Meclizine, Lorazapam for dizziness, Zofran for nausea. I sure hope this clears up.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

Just experiencing my first event of vertigo, over the past week I often feel as though I am walking on a ship swaying from side to side. I have seen a doctor who believes it is a virus. I do have history of regular ear infections over the past five years. But not aware of ear infections at the moment. I do wonder if this problem has been brought on by a car accident I was in five weeks ago. Following a head on collision I landed upside down in the ditch. Luckily enough I was able to walk away but do wondered if this sensation is linked.

Comment from: Kit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a moment of dizziness after standing quickly one morning. Thought it was nothing. Walked home from a friend's house and continued my day. At 4 am woke to the world spinning and could not get it under control. I felt nauseated and I wobbled to the bathroom but had to crawl back to bed. I started wondering if I was having a heart attack or a stroke. My husband woke and we called 911. I went to the hospital, then went home diagnosed with labyrinthitis. I am on antibiotics and it is slowly correcting.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?