Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Comment from: telly, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I drive a semi truck, and started getting blurred vision(as if my eyes were crossed). This progressed to the point where I could not stand or walk when haveing an episode. Of course out of safety i had to take off of work. The doctor gave me medications, one for dizziness that didnt work, and one for anxiety. They put me to sleep, but its the only thing that works. I don't have insurance as this is a new job. I thought things were getting better but then I had a very frighting episode yesterday. I was stumbling against wall to get to my bed. I also had nausea and sweating. I am scared as I am getting behind on all of my bills and don't know what I am going to do. One doctor says it's my ears. another says it's my inner ear. I have a bad disk in my back that pinches nerves which I am told can also be the problem.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I'm 38 and starting having vertigo symptoms about seven years ago. Usually it starts when I wake up.

Comment from: Caroline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My attacks of vertigo seem to be brought on by being outside in very cold conditions.

Comment from: carlton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I had my first experience three days ago. I woke that morning and swung out of bed rather quickly. I felt that I was immediately spinning around inside my head. The sensation left as quickly as it arrived, although I remained slightly dizzy. I dressed and went to church, still vaguely feeling dizzy. By the end of the service I was feeling sick and was unable to stand. When the ambulance attendant laid me on the stretcher the vertigo hit. Meclizine, Lorazapam for dizziness, Zofran for nausea. I sure hope this clears up.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

Just experiencing my first event of vertigo, over the past week I often feel as though I am walking on a ship swaying from side to side. I have seen a doctor who believes it is a virus. I do have history of regular ear infections over the past five years. But not aware of ear infections at the moment. I do wonder if this problem has been brought on by a car accident I was in five weeks ago. Following a head on collision I landed upside down in the ditch. Luckily enough I was able to walk away but do wondered if this sensation is linked.

Comment from: Kit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a moment of dizziness after standing quickly one morning. Thought it was nothing. Walked home from a friend's house and continued my day. At 4 am woke to the world spinning and could not get it under control. I felt nauseated and I wobbled to the bathroom but had to crawl back to bed. I started wondering if I was having a heart attack or a stroke. My husband woke and we called 911. I went to the hospital, then went home diagnosed with labyrinthitis. I am on antibiotics and it is slowly correcting.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: May 21

I still do not know causes of my vertigo, I was told it had to be from the inner ear. The last vertigo attack I had was April 8th of this year. To this day I still feel dizzy when I bend over or turn my head to the side. When I go to bed I am only able to sleep on my right side, if I turn to my left side and put my head on pillow I feel like I am spinning for a few seconds. If I remain in an upright position I am ok.

Comment from: DEEPTI, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I literally fell down when I lifted my head or moved it to either side. I was diagnosed with vertigo. Now I'm fine after being on medication for one week.

Comment from: Busybody, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I've had vertigo since 2004. My attacks were mild at first, then in 2010, I had one very bad episode, then another one in 2011. I recently had one this year, which was so bad, it sent me to the hospital.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I think my first episode of vertigo was in the mid-90s and for about one week. I felt like the room was spinning and I could not get my balance. For some reason the neurologist did not have a diagnosis. It went away until about three years ago. I woke up and tried to stand up but fell right to the floor. I did not have time to feel the spinning and I had to crawl to the bathroom and vomit continuously so severely that I also lost control of other functions. I thought I was dying. I had to spend the night in the hospital due to not being able to walk without having to grip to something. This lasted for two weeks. I do have an occasional slight dizzy spell and some tinnitus sometimes. My grandmother had Meniere's disease and aunt and cousin have MS. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a connection.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?