Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: May 21

I still do not know causes of my vertigo, I was told it had to be from the inner ear. The last vertigo attack I had was April 8th of this year. To this day I still feel dizzy when I bend over or turn my head to the side. When I go to bed I am only able to sleep on my right side, if I turn to my left side and put my head on pillow I feel like I am spinning for a few seconds. If I remain in an upright position I am ok.

Comment from: DEEPTI, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I literally fell down when I lifted my head or moved it to either side. I was diagnosed with vertigo. Now I'm fine after being on medication for one week.

Comment from: Busybody, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I've had vertigo since 2004. My attacks were mild at first, then in 2010, I had one very bad episode, then another one in 2011. I recently had one this year, which was so bad, it sent me to the hospital.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I think my first episode of vertigo was in the mid-90s and for about one week. I felt like the room was spinning and I could not get my balance. For some reason the neurologist did not have a diagnosis. It went away until about three years ago. I woke up and tried to stand up but fell right to the floor. I did not have time to feel the spinning and I had to crawl to the bathroom and vomit continuously so severely that I also lost control of other functions. I thought I was dying. I had to spend the night in the hospital due to not being able to walk without having to grip to something. This lasted for two weeks. I do have an occasional slight dizzy spell and some tinnitus sometimes. My grandmother had Meniere's disease and aunt and cousin have MS. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a connection.

Comment from: Oddie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I'm 55 years old. I was told that I had breast cancer in January. The day of my radiation I was on the table. I had just lay down and everything started spinning. I went to the doctor and had some tests done. She told me its vertigo. I have been dealing with this for four weeks now.

Comment from: flipper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about 15 years ago. It was presented with hearing loss in right ear and tinnitus in both. I did not have any other symptoms until last year when I had very short, random episodes of dizziness which went away after 10-15 seconds and I was fine. I went to my ENT doctor who told me it was not vertigo but probably a side effect of the 200 mg Celebrex I was taking for arthritis. I lowered my dose to 100 mg and was fine until yesterday, almost a year later. I woke up in the middle of the night with the room spinning out of control.

Comment from: Tanya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I recently was diagnoses a few days ago. I was experiencing dizziness and lightheaded feeling. I was also experiencing headaches. I was under a lot of stress and anxiety. My ear felt like it was on fire. I went to the emergency room and they did a number of tests, and diagnosed me with vertigo. I was given some medicine for dizziness and pain.

Comment from: fstrickland, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was diagnosed with vertigo about five years ago. It has subsided until recently. Mind is a feeling of the room spinning out of control and I also begin to feel nauseated. Being diabetic, there is a lot of medicine I cannot take.

Comment from: G98, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been a vertigo sufferer for 7 years. My first episode occurred while simply waking up and stretching a bit before getting out of bed. I turned my head to the left and BOOM the room took off violently spinning around me. After about two weeks of taking meclizine (which simply works by putting you to sleep) I saw an audiologist at a large ENT practice in my city. She indicated she thought I had BPPV and, sure enough after administering the Epley maneuver I found myself totally vertigo free and walked out of the office "cured."

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: March 13

Had a hot stone massage on a cruise ship. I experienced severe vertigo, a violent spinning sensation, upon rising in the morning from laying down to sitting up.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?