Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Comment from: runningtito, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I'm 38 years old and I've had vertigo all my life. My mom has it and my 15 year old daughter has it too. I use motion sickness medications.

Comment from: Pat from PA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

Got up one morning in 2007 and thought that I was having a seizure because the world was spinning so fast I could not stay vertical. My husband thought I might be having a stroke or heart attack. The ambulance came and off I went to the ER. I was on meclizine for about three weeks. The spinning settled a little but the floor seeming to be moving as though I was on a very rocky boat. I tried to go back to work, but had another attack lasting two weeks and then another a few weeks later. I have been to a balance disorder specialist and have taken months of vestibular therapy. It is better for a time but the sudden unexplained attacks happen whenever and wherever with no warning. I have tried Zoloft and clonazepam to keep these attacks under control but these meds make me drowsy. I wish there was a cure for this debilitating disease. I had to take an early unplanned retirement from work and in today's economy this is not good. Hope the cure is in my lifetime.

Comment from: gracie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I am a 57 year old female and suffered a mild attack of dizziness in my 30s and nothing since. A week before breaking up for Christmas holidays last year I felt flu-like and confined to bed. By the third day I had a severe pain in the top left hand side of my head, had several bouts of sickness and the only way I could reach the bathroom was on all fours because the room was spinning around violently. Living alone I called the doctor who examined my left ear. There was no ear infection and was told a virus had left me with vertigo. The tablets I was prescribed have not eradicated the dizziness and I'm also left with no sense of smell or taste which is worrying. I thought the vertigo would have gone now so will have to try another course of treatment.

Comment from: gene, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about 20 years ago. I had all the symptoms. Thought my life had ended, but over time you learn to live with almost anything. I have had tinnitus constantly, along with hardly any hearing in one ear. At least the fullness has gone away. I don't get vertigo too often, but often enough for me to monitor ANY activity that could be dangerous, like driving a car or even a bike. If you have just developed similar symptoms, don't despair.

Comment from: Vincent Bruno, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I take Paxil and sedatives and at times when I drive or walk up steps or a ladder, I actually feel that everything around me is spinning. I do feel dizziness.

Comment from: noza, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

My very first episode of vertigo was late 2006 when I was breastfeeding my youngest. At that point it was put down to breastfeeding. In 2010, I had another episode dizzy spells and or spinnings but was put down to low blood pressure. Last night without any warning again I had my third severe episode. Called out of hours and was told it is vertigo the doctor gave me instructions and asked me sleep and if I didnt feel any better in the morning to see my GP which I did. I now very concerned and will certainly keep a close eye on what flares it and how long it lasts.

Comment from: attackkat1, Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Ten years ago I had a stroke. Three months prior to that, I had vertigo off and on which lasted only about 10-15 seconds. One night, I woke up with severe vertigo and was hysterical. My husband immediately got me into the car and to the hospital. The CT scan noted that I had "many" mini strokes in the past. Three months later, I had a pretty serious stroke and that CT scan showed that I had a previous stroke. Just recently, I started having vertigo again. When I get into bed at night and when I get out of bed in the mornings. Needless to say, I'll be off to the doctor ASAP.

Comment from: Deanaj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had my very first episode of vertigo happened nearly 20 years ago and lasted nearly two months. It was so debilitating that I could not work or anything. Like others, I thought it was a brain tumor. After many test, nothing was found. I remember sleeping in a recliner chair because the bed was impossible. Over the past few years I've had minor episodes lasting a few days or so, but nothing like the first time. I'm nearly 60 years old and I've just learned to live with it.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?