Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

When I opened my eyes this morning from a restful sleep the room was spinning very fast. I closed my eyes and took a peek...still spinning. What the heck was going on? It sure wasn't dizziness. So, I just lay there for a while, slowly sat up with my eyes still closed then looked at the floor. Phew...OK! I moved my head to the right and spinning! Four hours later I have done laundry, cleaned the bathroom, and started supper, but I feel a little nauseous. This is some scary stuff so I came here and I guess I had a bout of vertigo. What the heck? I feel slightly goofy.

Comment from: Ronda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I had a bad fall in my kitchen in October. Tripped over the dog with a bowl in each hand, got my legs tangled up under him, and landed directly on my forehead and face, on a tile floor with concrete foundation. The pain was excruciating to my head. I had a slight cut in the center of my forehead, surrounded by a raised red circle about 3" in diameter. My nose was pushed up toward my forehead, scraped and bleeding, and my elbow swelled up like a baseball.

Comment from: Jessie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

Suddenly, I felt light headed and followed by spinning sensation in my head. I found that if I lay on my left side then things get better. If I try to do otherwise, I would throw up due to the spinning sensation. Now, not only I have to recover from my vertigo, my gastric also started due to the throwing up and loss of appetite. My muscles also start aching due to long hours of lying down. Please share if you have any medication to cure or prevent vertigo.

Comment from: gwarren, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I just got out of the hospital last week after being in a week for vertigo. I never get sick so when this hit me at work I was transported to the hospital with nausea and vomiting. My blood pressure shot up; I was sweating with double vision and spinning.

Comment from: Kat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I first got vertigo 4 years ago, out of the blue while walking down the stairs I just fell. Later on that night I started getting ringing in the ears. After going through the ER, I was frightened with Meniere's disease.

Comment from: bellm01, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm not sure where vertigo stemmed from for me but it has been going on for at least 6 months now. At first the dizziness seemed to appear 4-6 weeks. Then it became worst and more often, forcing me to call appointments for the doctor. Well first thing they asked was if I could be pregnant? I took a pregnancy test. Sure enough, it came back positive.

Comment from: sugard, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Last Friday in the morning I was fine and then suddenly at lunchtime I went to stand up and nearly fell down. It scared me to death. It progressively got worse and I ended up at a clinic late afternoon. They checked my ears and found I had a severe ear infection. Apart from the vertigo I had not experienced any symptoms. Because of my age (66) I was sent for an MRI to rule out small strokes, which was negative. Blood tests at the clinic also diagnosed a UTI again no visible symptoms. I have been on an anti-biotic since Friday night. The vertigo comes and goes right now.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?