Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Comment from: gene, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about 20 years ago. I had all the symptoms. Thought my life had ended, but over time you learn to live with almost anything. I have had tinnitus constantly, along with hardly any hearing in one ear. At least the fullness has gone away. I don't get vertigo too often, but often enough for me to monitor ANY activity that could be dangerous, like driving a car or even a bike. If you have just developed similar symptoms, don't despair.

Comment from: Vincent Bruno, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I take Paxil and sedatives and at times when I drive or walk up steps or a ladder, I actually feel that everything around me is spinning. I do feel dizziness.

Comment from: noza, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

My very first episode of vertigo was late 2006 when I was breastfeeding my youngest. At that point it was put down to breastfeeding. In 2010, I had another episode dizzy spells and or spinnings but was put down to low blood pressure. Last night without any warning again I had my third severe episode. Called out of hours and was told it is vertigo the doctor gave me instructions and asked me sleep and if I didnt feel any better in the morning to see my GP which I did. I now very concerned and will certainly keep a close eye on what flares it and how long it lasts.

Comment from: attackkat1, Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Ten years ago I had a stroke. Three months prior to that, I had vertigo off and on which lasted only about 10-15 seconds. One night, I woke up with severe vertigo and was hysterical. My husband immediately got me into the car and to the hospital. The CT scan noted that I had "many" mini strokes in the past. Three months later, I had a pretty serious stroke and that CT scan showed that I had a previous stroke. Just recently, I started having vertigo again. When I get into bed at night and when I get out of bed in the mornings. Needless to say, I'll be off to the doctor ASAP.

Comment from: Deanaj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had my very first episode of vertigo happened nearly 20 years ago and lasted nearly two months. It was so debilitating that I could not work or anything. Like others, I thought it was a brain tumor. After many test, nothing was found. I remember sleeping in a recliner chair because the bed was impossible. Over the past few years I've had minor episodes lasting a few days or so, but nothing like the first time. I'm nearly 60 years old and I've just learned to live with it.

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

When I opened my eyes this morning from a restful sleep the room was spinning very fast. I closed my eyes and took a peek...still spinning. What the heck was going on? It sure wasn't dizziness. So, I just lay there for a while, slowly sat up with my eyes still closed then looked at the floor. Phew...OK! I moved my head to the right and spinning! Four hours later I have done laundry, cleaned the bathroom, and started supper, but I feel a little nauseous. This is some scary stuff so I came here and I guess I had a bout of vertigo. What the heck? I feel slightly goofy.

Comment from: Ronda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I had a bad fall in my kitchen in October. Tripped over the dog with a bowl in each hand, got my legs tangled up under him, and landed directly on my forehead and face, on a tile floor with concrete foundation. The pain was excruciating to my head. I had a slight cut in the center of my forehead, surrounded by a raised red circle about 3" in diameter. My nose was pushed up toward my forehead, scraped and bleeding, and my elbow swelled up like a baseball.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?