Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Comment from: personwhocares, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had first vertigo episode rolling over in bed five years ago. Terrible vertigo for several days with residual effects lasting six weeks. I went to the ENT and diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) and given exercises to do. I thought it worked but it came back and then I was taught the Epley maneuver. First, to figure out what ear was the problem doctor performed Dix-Hallpike procedure. He laid me back with head extended over bed and whatever side brought on the vertigo was the ear infected with loose crystals. Secondly I learned Epley maneuver for the ear with the problem (mine was left ear). Over the next few years I had three more episodes all running their course in about six weeks. Since then I have had one and a half years of no vertigo but do notice residual effects, i.e., feeling a little off at times. Today had a vertigo episode, performed a Dix-Hallpike on myself, again it was my left ear and I did an Epley. I feel okay and hopefully this episode will not last as long as others. Here is what I have learned doing research on this and why it happens. I believe BPPV is caused by two situations. One is long term uncontrollable stress and then a major life stress causing a heightened nervous system and the other is allergy, infections, colds, sinusitis, sleep apnea or anything that narrows the upper airway (especially sleeping or bad sleep) which also causes stress on the inner ear. Result of these two factors is vertigo. I got the stress information from a study and a doctor, as well as everyone who I've known who had BPPV. They all say they has serious uncontrollable life situations/stress prior to their first episode.

Comment from: VinnyG, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm a 43 year old male. I am experiencing vertigo for the last two years. My symptoms start with a feeling of motion in the abdomen, followed by a ringing in the ears and then a feeling as though I am walking on a moving ship. Sometimes, it brings nausea and tightness of the chest. Once or twice has brought on an anxiety attack. The vertigo attack usually last about 30 minutes. Have been to doctor numerous times but not getting any help. I am now awaiting an appointment with an ear nose and throat specialist.

Comment from: Gingerlea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I am suffering from a bout of vertigo right now. I seem to get it at the same time every year. I feel it has to do with exposure to mold and fungi spores. It is late September and everything is going to seed. After the humidity of summer, I figure as the air becomes drier and the wind picks up, the more the spores circulate. My vertigo seems to start out not so bad then progresses to the kind where I dare not move my head. Nausea, lightheadedness, mild pain and noise in the ears come along with it. It goes away the same way it comes on, gradually becoming milder and milder until one day I forget I ever had it. Less salt helps too, so does avoiding caffeine in all forms. I hate putting a name to the disorder, because then I tend to see myself as sick with something, which causes stress and stress makes it last longer since my attention is on every movement I make and how I am feeling with every movement. Even though vertigo is a rotten thing, I do appreciate the balance mechanisms of my body when they are working right. People who've never had this can't appreciate how precise these little systems are that keep us walking upright.

Comment from: MMTT, Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have suffered with vertigo for seven (7) years after falling into a wall and hitting my head. Hard. I was recently diagnosed with BPPV. Finally, somebody was able to tell me I wasn't going mad. My episodes vary and comes whenever it so chooses. My shortest episode was 1 hour and my longest was 2 weeks. As a result of my injury, I was off of work for many years and so sleeping away my dizziness and nausea was my cure. In 2011, I got my longest bout while I was at work and continued working. I found out that once my vertigo is acting up, one of the triggers that makes me spin, is light. YES LIGHT!!!! I had to wear shades and could not watch white paper, TV and Computer screens directly. Going out into the sunlight is a no. I have noticed that some of my triggers for the onset of vertigo however, are bending over or down and sometimes the quick movement of tilting my head backward or forward. I can usually tell when it's about to pay me a visit...everything seems to move a bit slower around me and then within a couple minutes or hours...BOOM hello vertigo (you miserable debilitating disease)! I am now working on some exercises...check out BPPV. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Mary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had my first vertigo attack yesterday. I woke up everything was spinning. I had to call out for my 4 year old son to get my cell phone. My husband arrived shortly. I started vomiting and my body was so weak. It felt like I had a bottle of vodka. I asked him to put my cloth on because I couldn't move, because I would spin more. I kept my eyes closed because I would get more nauseous. I did not get the ringing in my ear. After vomiting a few times we called the ambulance. They thought it was migraine, but the doctor said it was vertigo, something to do with my ear. I was terrified because she did not explain what caused, or how to prevent. I went home still dizzy, and got better but, not 100%. This morning I was happy because I felt better, but around noon I started to feel like dizzy, or motion sickness again! I going to follow up with another Doctor, and see what he says. I'm praying this will be temporary, because I need to go back to work.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?