Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

...
Comment from: VinnyG, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm a 43 year old male. I am experiencing vertigo for the last two years. My symptoms start with a feeling of motion in the abdomen, followed by a ringing in the ears and then a feeling as though I am walking on a moving ship. Sometimes, it brings nausea and tightness of the chest. Once or twice has brought on an anxiety attack. The vertigo attack usually last about 30 minutes. Have been to doctor numerous times but not getting any help. I am now awaiting an appointment with an ear nose and throat specialist.

Comment from: Gingerlea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I am suffering from a bout of vertigo right now. I seem to get it at the same time every year. I feel it has to do with exposure to mold and fungi spores. It is late September and everything is going to seed. After the humidity of summer, I figure as the air becomes drier and the wind picks up, the more the spores circulate. My vertigo seems to start out not so bad then progresses to the kind where I dare not move my head. Nausea, lightheadedness, mild pain and noise in the ears come along with it. It goes away the same way it comes on, gradually becoming milder and milder until one day I forget I ever had it. Less salt helps too, so does avoiding caffeine in all forms. I hate putting a name to the disorder, because then I tend to see myself as sick with something, which causes stress and stress makes it last longer since my attention is on every movement I make and how I am feeling with every movement. Even though vertigo is a rotten thing, I do appreciate the balance mechanisms of my body when they are working right. People who've never had this can't appreciate how precise these little systems are that keep us walking upright.

Comment from: MMTT, Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have suffered with vertigo for seven (7) years after falling into a wall and hitting my head. Hard. I was recently diagnosed with BPPV. Finally, somebody was able to tell me I wasn't going mad. My episodes vary and comes whenever it so chooses. My shortest episode was 1 hour and my longest was 2 weeks. As a result of my injury, I was off of work for many years and so sleeping away my dizziness and nausea was my cure. In 2011, I got my longest bout while I was at work and continued working. I found out that once my vertigo is acting up, one of the triggers that makes me spin, is light. YES LIGHT!!!! I had to wear shades and could not watch white paper, TV and Computer screens directly. Going out into the sunlight is a no. I have noticed that some of my triggers for the onset of vertigo however, are bending over or down and sometimes the quick movement of tilting my head backward or forward. I can usually tell when it's about to pay me a visit...everything seems to move a bit slower around me and then within a couple minutes or hours...BOOM hello vertigo (you miserable debilitating disease)! I am now working on some exercises...check out BPPV. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Mary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had my first vertigo attack yesterday. I woke up everything was spinning. I had to call out for my 4 year old son to get my cell phone. My husband arrived shortly. I started vomiting and my body was so weak. It felt like I had a bottle of vodka. I asked him to put my cloth on because I couldn't move, because I would spin more. I kept my eyes closed because I would get more nauseous. I did not get the ringing in my ear. After vomiting a few times we called the ambulance. They thought it was migraine, but the doctor said it was vertigo, something to do with my ear. I was terrified because she did not explain what caused, or how to prevent. I went home still dizzy, and got better but, not 100%. This morning I was happy because I felt better, but around noon I started to feel like dizzy, or motion sickness again! I going to follow up with another Doctor, and see what he says. I'm praying this will be temporary, because I need to go back to work.

Comment from: Okie4Ever, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I fell at Christmas and hit the back of my head. Hard. I had my first attack of Vertigo in March. Don't know if that is related or not, but I was also very stressed in March. The doctors say it is because of crystals in the ear pushing the little hairs in the inner ear out of alignment. I don't know if that is true or not, but I know the meclazine I was prescribed only lessens, but does not get rid of, the symptoms. I also agree "dizziness" is not an adequate description. I literally had to crawl to get to the phone to call for help. I could not stand up. This disease is a nightmare! My attacks typically last for several weeks.

Comment from: bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I had vertigo with an inner ear infection at the age of 33, and again at the age of 47. I had started taking 3,000 mg/day of an antibiotic for a sinus infection. This time at age 57, I have vertigo again, the day after having a massage primarily on my neck.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?