When Should Someone Seek Medical Care for Vitiligo?
- If an area of pigment loss becomes apparent, it would seem prudent for any patient to have the diagnosis of vitiligo confirmed by a physician.
- In a minority of patients, vitiligo is associated with a variety of systemic diseases, many of which have an autoimmune origin. A complete history, physical examination, and possibly laboratory testing is necessary to rule out the presence of these complicating conditions.
- One should remember that treatment of such associated conditions is unlikely to have any effect on the course of vitiligo.
- When vitiligo develops in certain individuals, there can be a severely deleterious effect on their sense of well-being.
- It is vital that efforts be made to treat the condition itself as well as the associated psychological factors that can occur in severely affected patients.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/16/2016
Must Read Articles Related to Vitiligo
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vitiligo: