Viewer Comments: West Nile Virus - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about West Nile Virus:

West Nile Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with the West Nile virus?

Comment from: Mama Houser, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had massive migraine headaches, body aches, chills, fever, sensitivity to light, pain behind my eyes, and muscles weakness. The headache lasted for 6 days straight, and no medicine would take it away. It has been 8 days now and the headache has returned with a vengeance. Hopefully, it will all be over soon, but I doubt it!!!

Comment from: DENNIS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I became very weak and I had tingling in my arms and legs. It has been three months since I contacted it.

Comment from: Texas Eskimo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I was infected with one mosquito. I remember getting bit in mid August 2012 because I experienced a rash almost immediately. Within a week I experienced chills, severe headaches in the middle of my head radiating outwards, pain from between the shoulder blades to the base of my skull, severe ear aches with pain down the sides of my neck on both sides and into my jaw, and flu like symptoms. I had no fever, or if I did, it didn't last long. I went to the doctor after the first week thinking I had an ear infection. I went back again a week later and they took a blood sample which confirmed that it was the West Nile virus. I was prescribed with Butal/Acetaminophen which helped. Since then I've had occasional pains in my neck and head aches just like before. I've also noticed kidney pain on one side.

Related Reading: Acetaminophen

Comment from: nfmryders, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I had flu-like symptoms and muscle weakness. After a few days, my lungs collapsed and had full paralysis. It has been one year now and I'm still in a wheelchair. I can walk with a cane but only short distances. I should fully recover, but it's just going to take some time.

Must Read Articles Related to West Nile Virus

Encephalitis
Encephalitis Encephalitis is an acute infection and inflammation of the brain itself. This is in contrast to meningitis, which is an inflammation of the layers covering the ...learn more >>
Insect Bites
Insect Bites Stings and bites from insects are common. They often result in redness and swelling in the injured area. Sometimes a sting can cause a life-threatening allergic...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about West Nile Virus:

West Nile Virus Treatment

What was your treatment for West Nile virus?