Viewer Comments: Whiplash - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Whiplash:

Whiplash - Causes

What was the cause of your whiplash and how was it treated?

Comment from: seeing, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I never thought whiplash would show up way after a wreck. We were hit from behind on a motor cycle knocked forward about 15 feet. The motor landed on my right leg. I was sore but X-rays a couple of weeks or so later showed bone spurs. Doctor asked if I was in pain. I said not at that time and he just shook his head. I noticed my neck being sore some after that but thought maybe I slept wrong. In time it got worse and in about a year I was having to ice my neck if I did any work over my head or pulled with my shoulder muscles. Today, I'm still having problems with my neck.

Comment from: twinkie22, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My whiplash was due to a car accident. I went to the hospital by ambulance. They did a CT scan prescribed me Motrin, Tylenol with codeine and followed up with my doctor a few days later. I am still being treated, the accident happened one week ago. I need to follow up with my doctor once a week. I have never experienced this before, and it is painful. I drive a school bus for a living, and don't know when I'll be able to go back to work. It is not something to kid around with.

Comment from: Ouch, 35-44 Female Published: February 07

I was literally smacked in the back of the head by a wave while bush camping in Tasmania. It hurt but I didn't think much about it until the pain grew and continued until I couldn't think of much else. Three weeks later I was diagnosed with whiplash after a cat scan ruled out skeletal damage. I have just been advised to go about things normally. Let me tell, I wish I could. Previously my only experience with whiplash was seeing people in and out of court wearing braces. I was dubious but now... not so much.

I was turning a corner and my left front tire blew out. I overcompensated, my SUV rolled and landed on the passenger side in a ditch. I immediately felt neck pain. After the jaws of life extracted me from the vehicle I was placed in a cervical collar and placed on a stretcher and taken to the ER. After a quick assessment that included history, palpation and neck movements I was given ibuprofen. I was then taken to have a cervical X-ray. I was then sent home. Follow up with my primary physician two days later resulted in acetaminophen with codeine and Flexeril prescriptions. I have also seen a chiropractor. Two months later I still have neck pain, muscle spasms, and a shooting pain that radiates along my spine to between my scapulae.

Comment from: gc79, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

Whiplash was caused when I fell backwards hitting the back of head against corner of brick ledge.

Comment from: joanne77, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have severe whiplash and inflamed muscles in shoulder back and neck. I was in a motor vehicle accident. Impact was on my side of the vehicle. I was the driver. Pains were in my neck shoulder, and down my arm. When I went to ER, I had a neck brace on and I was strapped to a board. They removed all the pieces without x-rays, and put me on painkillers. Two days later, pains were so bad and the medicine wasn't working. The pain was going further on my body back shoulder and arms. I went back to ER where they did X-rays and MRI as well. Now, I'm on Tylenol III and I'm still in so much pain.

Comment from: HRPotter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

My whiplash was caused by an accidental fall at home.I am taking oral Methocarbamol.

Comment from: Erika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was diagnosed with whiplash after popping my neck. After popping my neck, I immediately was "attacked" by a migraine and horrible pain in my neck. Following the migraine came the nausea and vomiting. The next day I had short bouts of tinnitus and tingling in my face with the continuation of the neck pain and now bruising. I was diagnosed the second with whiplash and was prescribed a soft c-collar to assist with my neck stiffness and muscle relaxer and pain medication.

Comment from: Theresa H, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

My horse spun around rapidly and I flew off onto the ground. Suffered fractured ribs, clavicle, fingers but no one even thought of possible whiplash. I complained on 2 separate occasions about my shoulder pain; given Lidoderm patches and that was that. Today I finally went to a chiropractor and he explained with clarity the whiplash I had to have suffered. Now I know why the excruciating pain. Right now the only treatment has been electrical stimulation and cold compresses on the neck. Have to schedule an MRI and go from there.

Must Read Articles Related to Whiplash

Muscle Strain
Muscle Strain Muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. Symptoms and signs include swelling, bruising, pain, and...learn more >>
Neck Strain
Neck Strain The portion of the spine contained within the neck is referred to as the cervical spine. That's the site for injuries known as neck strain. Symptoms include pai...learn more >>
Neck and Back Injuries
Wilderness: Neck and Back Injuries Trauma to the neck and back can lead to spinal cord injury and permanent disability. If trauma occurs, the neck and back should be splinted and movement should ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Whiplash:

Whiplash - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms related to your whiplash?