Viewer Comments: Whiplash - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Whiplash:

Whiplash - Causes

What was the cause of your whiplash and how was it treated?

Comment from: patsy, 55-64 Female Published: August 26

I was at work putting a binder on a file cabinet about 6 feet up as I leaned over the file binder fell off and hit the back of my neck and head. I was checked by physicians assistant given toradol and muscle relaxers. I was also on gabapetin and xanax. I really had bad headaches from the back of my head but until I was terminated and went off muscle relaxers and gabapentin i really did not know what trouble I was still in it has been over a year but I think with all of the pain relievers and given toradol shots as needed I think I have a serious problem. Chronic headaches nausea neck soreness top of spine swelling.

Comment from: Katrina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was in a car accident with my mother and children on vacation. My mother rear ended someone. We were going 40 mph and the other person had just stopped and slammed on the brakes. My shoulder and neck hurt and all fingers on one side were hurt. They X-rayed my shoulder and I had to go to a nurse to have her read my chart. They were trying to discharge me without saying anything and the nurse could not find my chart. My upper back aches and left shoulder has aches and sharp pain.

Comment from: Charles, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I was injured at work. Apart from a broken arm, dislocated shoulder, torn supraspinatus, shock, and a deep laceration above my left eye, I also suffer from swelling around my neck. Now I live with chronic pain. I have not been able to work in three years. When the pain is at its worst, it feels like a seven or eight on a pain scale of one to 10. The pain is decreased when I lie down. I'm taking painkillers, but the effect is minimal.

Car accident. Was hit on the passenger side.

Comment from: kjc, 65-74 Female Published: February 06

I was in a car accident 8 months ago. At first there was no pain. By the second day I couldn't move my head to the right. Pain was in my neck, shoulder and up the back of my head. I have seen a chiropractor and the treatment hurt worse. Went to a doctor and they sent me to therapy. Still the pain was unbearable. I had a CT scan and MRI. It came back negative. The pain is still there and I am still unable to move my neck to the right some times

Comment from: Cally, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I was in a car crash. The symptoms did not appear until the following day.

Comment from: skippack, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was in a car accident in March. I was stopped on an expressway when I was rear-ended and then pushed into the vehicle in front of me. The only pain I felt at the time of the accident was elbow pain. As this happened on a Saturday, I went to my family doc on Monday who suspected whiplash. I went to a chiropractor which only made me feel worse. I have neck pain and back pain especially if I am upright for more than 2 hours. My right arm gets weak and my right hand shakes. As I am right-handed, it makes doing things very difficult. I had an MRI which showed 2 bulging discs in my neck. Doc prescribed steroids. I start physical therapy this Friday. I was told it was take at least 4 weeks before any improvement. If there is none after that time, then I would probably need injections in my neck...something I am not looking forward to. I have never had this type of injury and really do not know what to expect.

Comment from: Rockette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Over 2 years ago I was involved in an accident where my neck was whipped from the right side to the left. I went to the chiropractor with neck pain and numbness in the right side of the face. This injury developed into facial nerve damage, 5th nerve damage and cervical facet syndrome. I have constant numbness in the right side behind the ear that goes to the top of the head. I have stiffness and pain in the neck when I try to move it forward or back. I have had torticollis and neck spasms. The MRI showed 3 mild bulging discs. I have had 5 sessions of medical branch blocks 4 per session in C 3, 4, 5, 6. Next step is radiofrequency. I have seen 2 chiropractors. I've been through physical therapy and I am currently taking 800 mg of gabapentin per day. I also have the 5th cranial nerve bumping up against the 7th cranial nerve. I had no prior history of neck pain, was perfectly mobile and fine. Now, after this cervical sprain, I am in pain every day. After seeing the chiropractor for the first 4 months, he helped the neck pain but the numbness behind the rear persisted. The numbness continued to get worse and then BAM the neck pain was back in the worst way.

Must Read Articles Related to Whiplash

Muscle Strain
Muscle Strain Muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. Symptoms and signs include swelling, bruising, pain, and...learn more >>
Neck Strain
Neck Strain The portion of the spine contained within the neck is referred to as the cervical spine. That's the site for injuries known as neck strain. Symptoms include pai...learn more >>
Neck and Back Injuries
Wilderness: Neck and Back Injuries Trauma to the neck and back can lead to spinal cord injury and permanent disability. If trauma occurs, the neck and back should be splinted and movement should ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Whiplash:

Whiplash - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms related to your whiplash?