Viewer Comments: Whiplash - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Whiplash:

Whiplash - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms related to your whiplash?

Comment from: loveslibraries, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

It started with neck and shoulder pain. I wasn't able to turn my neck to one side very well. I started carrying one shoulder higher than the other. 15 years later, I had muscle spasms and back pain across the blades. A dowager's hump near the injury site. 15 years later, shooting nerve pains occurred during some wrist and hand use. My hands tingled a lot. Chronic blue bruises across the back. Trouble twisting to one side. My arms rotated forward like an ape, chronic pain interfering with sleep. Adhesions, contusions, a rotation problem, referred nerve pain, a couple incidences with non-temperature related peripheral vascular dilation, a couple years of migraines, alcoholism to numb the pain.

I am a 20 year old girl. While I was on vacation in TN I got into a very serious Go-Kart crash on the track on Aug 12, 2011. I was in severe pain from the top of my head all the way down my spine to my tail bone. The ride operators called 9-1-1 to get an ambulance. I was rushed to ER. The doctors did 32 x-rays of my head neck and back which showed a severe whiplash and strained and inflamed muscles from the top of my skull to my tailbone. The doctors sent me home on pain meds to help me get some relief.

Comment from: Cats84, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I was hit in the back end of my car while I was at a stop sign. I was starting to feel some soreness but when I woke up this morning my neck is really sore and so are my shoulders.

Comment from: Kandys81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Stiff neck, shoulders and back.

Comment from: dabneya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was in a car accident almost a month ago but didn't even take in to consideration the possibility of whiplash. A couple of days after the accident my left shoulder and the left side of my neck were tender but felt similar to a pulled muscle in my shoulder. Well the pain in my neck is significantly worse and the pain radiates down my left arm. Now a month later I'm getting no sleep due to the pain and inability to find relief no matter how I reposition my neck and shoulders.

Comment from: DaveM2, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

I have whiplash due to an auto accident. I was rear-ended at about 60 mph. My car ended up on the other side of the street shoulder pointed in the other direction. I refused to be taken by ambulance. The following early morning, I felt neck pain and went to emergency room. CT scans revealed ligament strain/tear in region of lower neck/spine. They also found two fractures in my maxilla/facial bone above mouth.

Comment from: gruszynd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

With whiplash, I had neck, arm, and shoulder pain and a migraine.

Comment from: ger66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I was in a severe car accident two months ago (9/30/11) and have severe whiplash. Physical therapy has not helped and was told by my neurologist to stop that. I have pain from my neck all the way down my spine and numbness in my hands and feet. I have weakness in my arms and legs and they hurt so bad. The weakness gets so bad that I have a hard time using my hands and my legs because they get very weak to the point that I can hardly walk and they ache to they point that I can hardly stand it. The neurologist thought there were herniated discs but there aren't. At least I could have had surgery and gotten relief. He says this pain could go on for a long time as this could take a while to heal. He says this is not good as I know because I am suffering every day all day long and nothing helps!

Comment from: Kamaia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

Firstly I did not know I had whiplash until diagnosed by a trained chiropractor. Symptoms for me were lack of concentration, lack of sleep, and mood swings in conjunction with a sore neck (did not feel muscular and a massage would not have treated it). Those were an indication of the whiplash as such. I would highly recommend a chiropractor as opposed to taking medication or other ways. It was all cleared up in one session.

Must Read Articles Related to Whiplash

Muscle Strain
Muscle Strain Muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. Symptoms and signs include swelling, bruising, pain, and...learn more >>
Neck Strain
Neck Strain The portion of the spine contained within the neck is referred to as the cervical spine. That's the site for injuries known as neck strain. Symptoms include pai...learn more >>
Neck and Back Injuries
Wilderness: Neck and Back Injuries Trauma to the neck and back can lead to spinal cord injury and permanent disability. If trauma occurs, the neck and back should be splinted and movement should ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Whiplash:

Whiplash - Causes

What was the cause of your whiplash and how was it treated?