Viewer Comments: Whooping Cough - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Whooping Cough (Pertussis):

Whooping Cough - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with whooping cough.

...
Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 22

I contracted pertussis three years ago when I was 56 years old. It started with symptoms similar to bronchitis, but with the severe coughing others have described. I frequently coughed until vomiting, even if I had only consumed fluids. After two weeks of progressively severe coughing, I went to the doctor who took a swab for the lab. By then I was coughing up black phlegm. The results were positive for pertussis, and he gave me azithromycin which gradually helped lessen the coughing spasms. I coughed for another 6 months. Three years later, I continue to have occasional bronchial spasms I never previously had, frequently at night. Also, after having pertussis, I now gag and sometimes vomit every time I have a coughing spell from a mild cold, or from inhaling dust, etc. I am curious about symptoms which have persisted for three years, such as bronchial spasms, gagging, and what feels like some minor obstruction in my trachea or epiglottis.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female Published: October 15

I've just been diagnosed with whooping cough. I thought I had bronchitis and had completed a 10-day dose of Cipro. I've had a horrible cough (think seal barking) for more than a month and went back to the doctor. It turns out I have all the symptoms of whooping cough and have for over 30 days. I also have asthma. Incidentally, Albuterol was not effective in helping my coughing fits. Symptoms I am experiencing are: exhaustion, bronchospasms (severe), runny nose, mucous, loss of appetite, weight loss, restless sleep, frequent severe coughing fits, burning in chest/lungs and tightness in my chest. I am now on a 7-day course of Biaxin, steroid inhaler and prescriptive cough medicine. -Marie

Comment from: stevens mummy, 0-2 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

My 6 week old son is in intensive care at the moment with whooping cough. I went to the doctors in the beginning with my son having a persistent cough and mucus coming up I was told it was a cold, 2 days later my son became worse and started going blue so I took him to hospital to get some answers yet again I was fobbed off with its a cold but he does have a lot of mucus on his chest but with it was clear it is not an infection. My son's condition worsened so I yet again went to the doctors where my son had a bad coughing fit, so I was finally referred to hospital for treatment but on the way my son totally stopped breathing and turned blue. When we got to hospital the consultant told me we had gone just in time as my sons lungs were that heavy due to all the mucus he couldn't breath for himself, my son had 2 respiratory arrests while at hospital so was transferred to another hospital to intensive care were he is currently under going treatment for whooping cough. I was so scared I was going to loose him and I feel if the doctors had listened to me at the start I wouldn't be sitting here now waiting for my son to recover and come off his ventilator.

Comment from: nicki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have had whooping cough for nearly five weeks now. The symptoms are a little less severe, yet still quite scary. As I cough, I feel as if my body is being electrocuted, and my head is about to explode. It is frightening because you simply cannot get a breath in. Nights are terrible with more frequent and severe bouts. I asked my doctor what I can do to rebuild my immune system. He simply said that it takes time. The healing process is very slow.

Comment from: MaryJane, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My 3 year old granddaughter has asthma. She is now going on 13 days with this ongoing cough. Pediatricians 3 x's have said coughing is related to her asthma and so did a doctor at the ER. The last 5 days her coughing has changed where she even notices the difference, gets scared and is asking for her breathing treatment and says she can't breathe during these 2-5 minute coughing episodes. She's been on oral steroids, back to back breathing treatments, running a cool mist humidifier at night and a pediatrician now wants to add Cingular. ER did take some x-rays and only found inflammation which is related to asthma and no pneumonia, but that was before this more concerning cough started.

Comment from: pgus, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I'm a 57 year old female and coughed for about 2 weeks, I knew something was wrong when no remedy helped and I was worse at night. Finally I went to the Dr. and he thought I had reflux and I disagreed and ask him to do a whooping cough test and he did and it came back positive. I took 2 z packs and got cough syrup. I have now still had symptoms for 3 months. As they say it's the 100 day cough. I still feel irritated in my bronchial tubes, so I went back to Dr. and he gave me Keflex, which seems to be helping, he thought I might have a secondary infection. Also I got an inhaler, tessalon pearl cough pills. This has been the worse cough ever. They reported it to the department of health and it was 7 days before I got the results from my test. I got a TDP shot and I recommend anybody up to 65 to get this shot, for there is no way to know how many people are walking around with it. It will take your breath and you can't stop coughing, if you had a weak vessel in your head it would probably burst. Also cold air and drinks make mine worse. I feel for all you out there with this, I work at a health dept. and please get a shot now.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Whooping Cough (Pertussis)

Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Choking
Choking Choking is a blockage of the upper airway by food or other objects, preventing a person from breathing effectively. Choking can cause a simple coughing fit or c...learn more >>
Complete Blood Count (CBC)
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Complete blood count (CBC) is one of the most common blood tests. The complete blood count test provides valuable information about the quantity of the differen...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Whooping Cough (Pertussis):

Whooping Cough - Symptoms

What were your whooping cough symptoms? If your child was the one who was ill, please describe your child's whooping cough symptoms.

Whooping Cough - Treatment

What was the treatment for your whooping cough? If your child was the one who was ill, please describe your child's whooping cough treatment.