Wilderness: Black Widow and Recluse Spider Bite (cont.)
Spider Bite Symptoms
Black widow a spider bites result in a halo lesion consisting of a pale circular area surrounded by a ring of redness.
- The initial bite of the black widow spider is usually painful, and the victim will often note the spider during the bite.
- Numbness, tingling, rashes, sweating, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, cramps, rigid abdominal muscles, chest tightness, weakness, and difficulty breathing may occur.
- The abdominal pain due to the spider bite can be so severe that it mimics abdominal medical conditions such as pancreatitis.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure) is a possible reaction to the venom.
Brown recluse bites are tender, red, swollen, and form blisters. The initial bite may or may not be noticed by the victim.
- Brown recluse bites cause local swelling, pain, itching, redness, tenderness, and blisters. They eventually form large ulcers and may cause tissue necrosis (death of the tissue in the area of the bite).
- Fever, chills, rash, nausea, and vomiting may develop.
- More severe reactions include kidney failure, blood coagulation abnormalities, and difficulty breathing. Death can occur. Symptoms of allergic reaction may be present.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/18/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Wilderness: Black Widow and Recluse Spider Bite
Black Widow Spider Bite
The bite of a black widow spider can be serious, but it's rarely fatal. Symptoms include pain, muscle pain in large muscle groups, nausea, and sometimes vomitin...learn more >>
Spider Bite: Brown Recluse Spider Bite
The brown recluse spider is notable for its characteristic violin pattern on the back of the body part to which the legs attach. Symptoms of a brown recluse spi...learn more >>
Vomiting and Nausea
Vomiting and nausea are common complaints that accompany many conditions and diseases. A few common causes of vomiting and nausea include food poisoning, viruse...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spider Bite: