Ciguatera Fish Poisoning
Ciguatera Fish Poisoning (Toxin) Definition
- Ciguatera is a foodborn illness (food poisoning) caused by eating fish that is contaminated by ciguatera toxin. Ciguatera toxin is a heat-stable lipid soluble compound, produced by dinoflagellates and concentrated in fish organs, that can cause nausea, pain, cardiac, and neurological symptoms in humans when ingested.
- The toxin may be found concentrated in large reef fish, most commonly barracuda, grouper, red snapper, eel, amberjack, sea bass, and Spanish mackerel.
- These fish live in coral reef waters and accumulate the toxin when they eat smaller reef fish which feed on the dinoflagellates.
- The area of concern include the Caribbean Sea, Hawaii, and coastal Central America.
- With fish from ciguatera endemic areas being shipped nationwide, poisonings can potentially occur in any areas in the United States.
- Ciguatera toxin tends to accumulate in large predator fish (weight over 2 Kg or about 4.5 lbs), such as the barracuda and other carnivorous reef fish, because they eat other fish that consume toxin-producing algae (dinoflagellates), which live in coral reef waters. The toxin has highest concentrations in fish visceral and sex organs.
- Ciguatera toxin is harmless to fish, but poisonous to humans.
- The toxin is odorless and tasteless, and cooking does not destroy the toxin.
- Eating ciguatera-contaminated tropical or subtropical fish is the main way that humans are exposed to the toxin.
- The toxin activates voltage-dependent sodium channels causing symptoms in human (and other mammals) gastrointestinal, cardiac, and nerve tissues.
- There are about 50,000 reported poisonings worldwide per year, but rarely cause death; children have more severe symptoms (see below).
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 9/30/2016
Must Read Articles Related to Wilderness: Ciguatera Toxin
Abdominal Pain in Adults
Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of learn more >>
Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>