Font Size

Wilderness: Coral Cuts (cont.)

When to Seek Medical Care

  • Seek medical treatment in cases of severe cuts or infection, or if a wound is not healing or is not healing and becoming larger.
  • A doctor should be consulted about treatment with available medications. Occasionally, long-term infections may develop (for example, fish handler's disease).
  • Rapid progression of a red blister-producing infection, especially if a person is an alcoholic, is a medical emergency.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/10/2014
Medical Author:

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Cnidaria Envenomation »

Cnidaria (formerly Coelenterata) are in the phylum of aquatic invertebrates responsible for more envenomations than any other marine phylum.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary