Wilderness: Diabetic Reaction (cont.)
Diabetic Reaction Symptoms
Low Blood Sugar
- rapid onset of cool, pale, moist, and clammy skin;
- rapid pulse; and
- shallow breathing.
If untreated, symptoms may progress to confusion, nonsensical behavior,
coma, and death.
High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia) Symptoms
- Symptoms occur gradually over several days.
- The person with high blood sugar develops increasing thirst and urination due to large amounts of unused glucose being lost in the urine.
- Skin is warm and dry, respirations may be shallow, pulse is rapid and weak, and breath may have a sweet odor (due to
a fat breakdown product called
- The person with high blood sugar may become confused or comatose, and death may result.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 1/23/2013
Scott H Plantz, MD, FAAEM
Must Read Articles Related to Wilderness: Diabetic Reaction
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) occurs when a person with diabetes becomes dehydrated. Causes of diabetic ketoacidosis include infection, missed insulin, or newly d...learn more >>
High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia)
High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) is when the body's blood sugar rises. Blood sugar levels can be measured using a blood glucose meter. Diabetes mellitus is a co...learn more >>
An insulin reaction occurs when an individual with diabetes experiences hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and becomes confused or unconscious. Causes of insulin re...learn more >>