Wilderness: Diabetic Reaction (cont.)
Diabetic Reaction Symptoms
Symptoms of diabetic reaction depends on the type of reaction.
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia) Symptoms
- rapid onset of cool, pale, moist, and clammy skin;
- rapid pulse; and
- shallow breathing.
If untreated, symptoms may progress to confusion, nonsensical behavior, coma, and death.
High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia) Symptoms
- Symptoms occur gradually over several days.
- The person with high blood sugar develops increasing thirst and urination due to large amounts of unused glucose being lost in the urine.
- Skin feels warm and dry; respirations may be shallow; pulse is rapid and weak, and breath may have a sweet odor (due to ketoacidosis from fat breakdown).
- The person with high blood sugar may become confused or comatose, and death may result.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/9/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Wilderness: Diabetic Reaction
Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Time
Be prepared to manage your diabetes, and control blood sugar and symptoms when you're sick, when you're at work or school, when traveling, during pregnancy, or ...learn more >>
Diabetes (Mellitus, Type 1 and Type 2)
There are two types of diabetes, type 1 (insulin dependent), and type 2 (non-insulin dependent). type 1 diabetes is caused by heredity, environmental factors, o...learn more >>
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) occurs when a person with diabetes becomes dehydrated. Causes of diabetic ketoacidosis include infection, missed insulin, or newly d...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diabetic Reaction: