Viewer Comments: Wilderness: Ear Infection - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ear Infection:

Wilderness: Ear Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your ear infection?

Comment from: sumit, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 07

With my ear infections, I have a hollow sound in the right ear, and when I bring my jaws together, I have a hollow sound and a feeling that there is some fluid in my ear.

Comment from: earache, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I experienced intense pain and deafness in right ear. I also have extreme tenderness and numbness around my ear. Also over 24 hours felt really ill. This infection came on after a heavy 2 week cold or flu-type illness with extremely bad productive cough during the second week. This seemed to stop but that is when ear infection struck. My first visit to the clinic nurse within 24 hours only initiated “I can't see anything. “Put ear drops in and come back if there is no improvement.” I was in agony over the next two days before could get a doctor's appointment. I was immediately put on high-dose penicillin and 48 hours later is only just having some effect. I still have not slept through the night. I'm still deaf. I'm still in pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

My ear infection usually lasts 4 to 6 weeks. I don't get any pain, just fullness in the ear, heavy head, itching deep inside the ear and a watery discharge. My doctor gives oral antibiotics and drops which help, but it still takes a long time to clear up.

Must Read Articles Related to Wilderness: Ear Infection

Scuba Diving: Barotrauma and Decompression Sickness
Barotrauma/Decompression Sickness Barotrauma and decompression sickness refers to medical problems that occur during diving. These problems include decompression illness (the bends), external ea...learn more >>
Scuba Diving: Ear Pain
Ear Pain, Scuba Diving Ear pain is the most common complaint from scuba divers and is experienced by almost every diver at some point. Some divers call it ear squeeze. The pain occurs...learn more >>
Ear Tubes
Ear Tubes Ear infections are one of the most common infection in children. Environmental and anatomy problems occur and some children are prone to multiple ear infections...learn more >>