Viewer Comments: Wilderness: Ear Infection - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ear Infection:

Wilderness: Ear Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your ear infection?

Comment from: SQ, 65-74 Female Published: June 08

Years ago, I developed infection in both ears, also known as bealed ears. I experienced excruciating pain and my faced swelled. My regular doctor prescribed oral antibiotics and pain pills. I suffered for two weeks or more until my sister made me an appointment with an ear, nose, and throat specialist. He used something like a mini vacuum cleaner and sucked out the infection and packed by ears with antibiotics.

Comment from: A MOLOII, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

With my ear infection I had numbness and ringing in the ear.

Comment from: Richard, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

With my ear infection, I had pain in the ear and bloody discharge.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I have repetitive ear infections for the past three years with heavy discharge from both ears. I do not feel sick or have negative symptoms other than they are sore. I have used steroid drops under prescription which works and have had my ears cleaned out twice under anesthetic however the infections keep coming back. I also use olive oil to lubricate the canals (as advised) which also works however this does not clear the infection. I would greatly appreciative any advice as I am concerned this may affect my hearing in time to come. Male 42 years old.

Comment from: nazplas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

With my ear infection, these are my symptoms: I have very loud ringing that comes and goes; itchy ear deep in the canal; sound of something moving in there; very sensitive to sound and even the slightest wind is piercing pain, and it feels like the outer ear is spread wide open

Comment from: emeka, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have an ear infection and it feels like something is vibrating inside my ear.

Comment from: vedanta, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

With my ear infection, I have redness of the walls of ear canal, but no discharge. There is occasional pain, a feeling of fullness of the ear, and heaviness of the head.

Comment from: sumit, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 07

With my ear infections, I have a hollow sound in the right ear, and when I bring my jaws together, I have a hollow sound and a feeling that there is some fluid in my ear.

Comment from: earache, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I experienced intense pain and deafness in right ear. I also have extreme tenderness and numbness around my ear. Also over 24 hours felt really ill. This infection came on after a heavy 2 week cold or flu-type illness with extremely bad productive cough during the second week. This seemed to stop but that is when ear infection struck. My first visit to the clinic nurse within 24 hours only initiated “I can't see anything. “Put ear drops in and come back if there is no improvement.” I was in agony over the next two days before could get a doctor's appointment. I was immediately put on high-dose penicillin and 48 hours later is only just having some effect. I still have not slept through the night. I'm still deaf. I'm still in pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

My ear infection usually lasts 4 to 6 weeks. I don't get any pain, just fullness in the ear, heavy head, itching deep inside the ear and a watery discharge. My doctor gives oral antibiotics and drops which help, but it still takes a long time to clear up.

Must Read Articles Related to Wilderness: Ear Infection

Scuba Diving: Barotrauma and Decompression Sickness
Barotrauma/Decompression Sickness Barotrauma and decompression sickness refers to medical problems that occur during diving. These problems include decompression illness (the bends), external ea...learn more >>
Scuba Diving: Ear Pain
Ear Pain, Scuba Diving Ear pain or ear squeeze is a common complaint among scuba divers. Ear pain is typically caused by a failure to equalize pressure between the interior of the ear...learn more >>
Ear Tubes
Ear Tubes Ear infections are one of the most common infection in children. Environmental and anatomy problems occur and some children are prone to multiple ear infections...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ear Infection:

Ear Infections - Treatment

What was the treatment of your ear infection?