Viewer Comments: Wilderness: Ear Infection - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ear Infection:

Wilderness: Ear Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your ear infection?

Comment from: Tarik, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

Constant ringing in both ears, left ear is extremely sore inside and I have regular pain that shoots down inside the ear, down my jaw and neck area below the ear. If I use ear drops or spray and lay on my side the pain subsides, but this is only temporary. It feels like the inner ear is inflamed as I can feel pressure when moving my jaw (chewing and eating can be quite painful). I have suffered from this for over 4 years and it comes and goes. The ringing is the only constant which does not cause physical pain, but is irritating especially at night or when in a quiet environment.

Comment from: reg. nurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

Ringing in both ears that progressively got louder and louder. Pain in both ears and stuffy nose and facial pain in and around nose and eyes. I had chills and felt warm to the touch, but my temperature is usually always subnormal and was 94.7 when I checked for fever. When I would lie down, it was painful to sleep on either side of my head. In fact, my scalp in the temporal region felt swollen and painful to the touch. I'm on Cipro for 4 days now and still have symptoms. I think I should have ear drops but doctor has not mentioned it.

Comment from: Phaila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I had severe pain, hearing loss, and the entire side of my head felt congested.

Comment from: Ang, 25-34 Female Published: January 22

My inner ear keeps on aching with no discharge. I get severe headaches and have pain just behind my left ear. I also get dizzy spells and my balance is off. My throat is also sore. I am currently not on a healthcare plan. So I am confused on what to do as I am also breastfeeding and would love what is safe to use.

Comment from: SQ, 65-74 Female Published: June 08

Years ago, I developed infection in both ears, also known as bealed ears. I experienced excruciating pain and my faced swelled. My regular doctor prescribed oral antibiotics and pain pills. I suffered for two weeks or more until my sister made me an appointment with an ear, nose, and throat specialist. He used something like a mini vacuum cleaner and sucked out the infection and packed by ears with antibiotics.

Comment from: A MOLOII, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

With my ear infection I had numbness and ringing in the ear.

Comment from: Richard, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

With my ear infection, I had pain in the ear and bloody discharge.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I have repetitive ear infections for the past three years with heavy discharge from both ears. I do not feel sick or have negative symptoms other than they are sore. I have used steroid drops under prescription which works and have had my ears cleaned out twice under anesthetic however the infections keep coming back. I also use olive oil to lubricate the canals (as advised) which also works however this does not clear the infection. I would greatly appreciative any advice as I am concerned this may affect my hearing in time to come. Male 42 years old.

Comment from: nazplas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

With my ear infection, these are my symptoms: I have very loud ringing that comes and goes; itchy ear deep in the canal; sound of something moving in there; very sensitive to sound and even the slightest wind is piercing pain, and it feels like the outer ear is spread wide open

Comment from: emeka, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have an ear infection and it feels like something is vibrating inside my ear.

Comment from: vedanta, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

With my ear infection, I have redness of the walls of ear canal, but no discharge. There is occasional pain, a feeling of fullness of the ear, and heaviness of the head.

Must Read Articles Related to Wilderness: Ear Infection

Scuba Diving: Barotrauma and Decompression Sickness
Barotrauma/Decompression Sickness Barotrauma and decompression sickness refers to medical problems that occur during diving. These problems include decompression illness (the bends), external ea...learn more >>
Scuba Diving: Ear Pain
Ear Pain, Scuba Diving Ear pain is the most common complaint from scuba divers and is experienced by almost every diver at some point. Some divers call it ear squeeze. The pain occurs...learn more >>
Ear Tubes
Ear Tubes Ear infections are one of the most common infection in children. Environmental and anatomy problems occur and some children are prone to multiple ear infections...learn more >>