Viewer Comments: Fire Coral Cuts and Stings - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scuba Diving: Fire Coral Cuts:

Fire Coral Cuts and Stings - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your fire coral cuts and stings?

Comment from: sherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I was diving with a shorty dive suit and was just careless while taking pictures. My thigh touched one of the fire corals. It burns instantly like touching a hot iron. It continued to burn the entire dive and most of the day. It was tolerable. I didn't do anything for it but continued to keep diving the rest of the day. By the next day it was ok but left red welts for several days after. No real biggie. The entire burn area was about two inches around.

Comment from: snorkeler, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was stung by fire coral in Bonaire snorkeling. I applied vinegar immediately. It was very painful for about 8 hours, then just tender to the touch. Itching started after about 48 hours and swollen lymph nodes in my groin (sting was on back of thigh) started after 4 days.

Comment from: Shobzmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I recently went on a cruise to the Southern Caribbean and was snorkeling off of St. Kitts. As I was getting out of the water I still had my fins on and I tripped. A small wave pushed me, and I brushed along the shallow bottom and was scraped by fir coral. The sting was instant and very painful. It's been more than a week and now the area has a big red raised rash and itches. When I rub or scratch it, it almost seems wet like it leaks but you can't see any moisture and it has never bled. I am going to try vinegar and hydrogen peroxide as suggested in some of these reviews.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scuba Diving: Fire Coral Cuts:

Fire Coral Cuts and Stings - Experience

Please describe your experience with fire coral cuts and stings.