Marine Animal Bite
Marine Animal Bite Facts
- Fish and other marine animals can bite and cause cuts, scrapes, and punctures.
- A person who is attacked or bitten should attempt to identify the type of fish or animal, the time of the injury, and the nature of the attack.
- Bites or puncture wounds to the hand, wrist, foot, or joint are very dangerous and require immediate medical attention.
- Ocean bacteria are particularly dangerous. Infections often occur. Local wound infection may develop in as few as 24 hours.
Marine Animal Bite Symptoms
Signs of infection include
- red streaks,
- a foul odor,
- lymph node swelling,
- pain with joint movement, and
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 1/27/2016
Scott H Plantz, MD, FAAEM
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Wilderness: Marine Bite
Shark attacks can be categorized into three types, hit and run, bump and bite, and a sneak attack. You can potentially avoid a shark attack or shark bite by tak...learn more >>
Wilderness: Blue-Ringed Octopus Bite
The blue-ringed octopus is not an aggressive marine animal; however, when it bites it has a deadly venom. If you are bitten by a blue-ringed octopus it is a med...learn more >>
Wilderness: Sea Snake Bite
Sea snakes are generally not aggressive unless provoked or cornered. Sea snakes are highly venomous. Symptoms from a sea snake bite will occur within three hour...learn more >>