Viewer Comments: Scorpion Sting - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scorpion Sting:

Scorpion Sting - Treatment

Share your scorpion sting treatment experience

Comment from: richblufft, Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I was stung repeatedly, more than a dozen times in one instance, by scorpions in Vietnam during the war. The stings were on my ankles and knees. The pain was excruciating. I was given industrial strength Darvon and Benadryl, and that helped.

Comment from: stef, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I live in northeast Texas. I have been stung twice by a scorpion. The first time just extreme pain and the area was very sensitive to touch and a little dizziness. This lasted for about eight hours. This past time the sting was on my foot. I still had the extreme pain, but this time I had developed a thick tongue and a metallic taste in my mouth. From the research I have been able to find this is an allergic reaction and each time can get worse.

Comment from: Boi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I have just been bitten by a light brown scorpion, less than thirty minutes ago! I'm in Shoshong, Central District, Botswana. It bit me on the thigh, ring and middle fingers! The thigh n middle finger r just itchy but the ring finger is on fire! It is stiff with extreme pain n has started perspiring around the stung area! I called my nurse friend n she advised that I take promethazine which I did hoping that the pain will subside. I'm also using an ice pack to stop the swelling. I've always loved scorpions because I'm a Scorpio but right now, I'm so not sure!

Comment from: Patrick, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 15

A baking soda paste will pull the venom out if applied to the affected area.

Comment from: T Wood, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

We live in Central Texas in areas with lots of scorpions. My wife, daughter and I have all been stung multiple times. Though it is very painful, Benadryl Gel quickly diminishes the pain and slight swelling. None of us have allergic reactions, thankfully. My wife was stung multiple times in the garden by baby scorpions and that was pretty painful, but had no long term adverse effects. I hate scorpions!

Comment from: susan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I was stung, on the pad of my ring finger, by a Bahamian scorpion. I ran inside, scrubbed my finger, in a sink of dish water with bleach, with a microfiber cloth. This was the first thing I found. I applied hydrocortisone and had NO reaction other than the first painful sting.

Comment from: mz.savage, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

In Georgia, scorpion stings are no worse than a bee sting. (This is serious if you are allergic.) Being a Minnesota native I was not aware of this information until by chance I sat on one here in Georgia. The thing stung me multiple times on the back of the thigh and I thought I was a goner. Boy did it burn too! It felt like I touched a stove burner for far too long. When the paramedics arrived to my house they stated the above bee comparison and told me to avoid pain medications, as well as to apply heat to the area. Two hours later I was good as new.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: June 28

I live in Lago Vista, Texas and was stung in the arch of my foot by a yellow scorpion in the middle of the night when I got up and stepped on it in the kitchen. Not sure exactly what type it was I was too busy crying from the extremely intense pain. I did not know what to do so I put Neosporin on it - no help. Then I put ice on it and elevated it. The ice helped but I was still in severe pain for at least three or four hours and then moderate pain for most of the next day. No visible sign of the sting at all.

Comment from: me, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 31

I was stung by a light brown two-inch scorpion.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scorpion Sting:

Scorpion Sting - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience from your scorpion bite?