Viewer Comments: Scorpion Sting - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scorpion Sting:

Scorpion Sting - Treatment

Share your scorpion sting treatment experience

Comment from: Kimberly in Arizona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Scorpions don't bite. I was stung on big toe and had unbearable pain for about 8 hours. It felt like hot coals being applied to my foot and leg. I took prescription pain medicines and 2 Benadryl tablets and passed out, when I woke the pain was gone. The next day I had severe numbness, tingling, and pins and needles feeling. On the 3rd day all better. I hate scorpions!

Comment from: aw, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 29

I got stung by a scorpion yesterday. I was getting ready for work, grabbed a washcloth, ran under water, and started to wash my face. Bam, the scorpion had stung me in my nose! My tongue and lips went numb, stomach has been cramping, and I had diarrhea the next day. I have been taking Benadryl. I am starting to feel better now.

Comment from: hawkgrrrl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I was stung by a yellow scorpion on my ring finger. It was hiding in my gym shoe. Poison control was fabulous. They gave me great advice, put me at ease, and called to check up on me throughout the day. I still have a very numb, tingly hand.

Comment from: JJDM, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I can't tell if I have been stung by a scorpion or a bee. I have seen pictures of a bee sting, but can find none of a scorpion's.

Comment from: kathynm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I immediately put Bactine on it. Then I put on loose sock. I took Benadryl and Tylenol. The next day, I had no pain. Somehow, I ended up in the emergency room. I got shots and medications there and I woke unable to wear a shoe.

Comment from: Cisco, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 27

I was painting the front porch and needed to move a water fountain when a brown scorpion got me real good on my right index finger. Living in south central Texas near Goliad, I've encountered a countless number of scorpions over the years but had never been bitten. There has been a dramatic increase in their presence in the last few years, possibly due to the extreme drought. The pain began instantaneously. I had to pull the stinger from my finger. I washed it immediately and a Mexican lady insisted I apply some garlic to the wound, which I did. Within 45 minutes, the pain had subsided to over 50% of what it was. Needless to say I was very thankful and appreciative to that kind lady.

Comment from: Rancher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I always wear gloves to move feed sacks. I did not have gloves on, and I picked up a feed sack that was the last one on the pallet. I was stung by a pale yellow scorpion! She was covered by baby scorpions that were almost transparent. The sting was on last knuckle and my ring finger. I took an antihistamine. The pain reduced, and I continued chores.

Comment from: hafeez, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 03

I was bitten by yellow scorpion on my left foot during morning walk on my home in our grassy courtyard. I threw my feet by reflux action due to sudden pain. The scorpion separated my foot. I killed the scorpion. I quickly rubbed the salt and soap at effected portion for two minutes and washed with clean water. I realized that due to above action, I felt relief within 10-15 minutes. I did not take any medicine.

Comment from: Sunshine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was washing clothes and stepped into the pile and felt the most excruciating pain under my big toe area. I felt heat radiating up my leg! I let out a scream and my hubby came running! We really didn't know what to do so he grabbed ice cubes, sprayed Benadryl on the bite. I had to laugh it off otherwise I was going to cry! He dissolved salt into pail with warm water, and that helped!

Comment from: Tanya, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was bitten last night while going to get a glass of water and can tell you it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in the thirteen years that I lived here. The sting and burning sensation is horrible. My feet got numb and tingled. I washed with soap and antibacterial soap. I did not want to go to ER. By morning my leg was burning all the way to my knee with a red rash. I went to urgent care but all they said to do was to put ice and take ibuprofen and the burning should cease in a few days.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scorpion Sting:

Scorpion Sting - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience from your scorpion bite?