Viewer Comments: Scorpion Sting - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scorpion Sting:

Scorpion Sting - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience from your scorpion bite?

Comment from: Tom, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I was stung in the big toe by a scorpion and felt as if it was an electrical injection! I have taken antihistamine 120 milligrams. I am 8 hours in and still feel a mild numbness and pins and needles in my extremities and tongue. I have been trying to drink as much water as possible. I feel very lethargic and I will report my progress. I have no desire to eat.

Comment from: ecj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

It is called a bark scorpion. The little guy woke me up out of my sleep around 3:30 am this morning; got me on my calf. Paramedics say as long as I don't get certain symptoms I'll be fine. But I have to tough it out today because the venom spreads for hours before it starts to wear off. I was also told aspirin doesn't work for this. I can't walk on it anymore and the nice lady on the hotline said not to eat or drink anything.

Comment from: Lissy, Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was stung under my right breast by a scorpion, and today I feel very lethargic and tired.

Comment from: San Antonio, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I stepped on a brown scorpion in the house with bare feet. It felt like a wasp sting and made a small red bump. I put some ice on it and took some ibuprofen. The pain lasted about 1 hour but decreased quickly.

Comment from: Matthew, Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I woke in the morning and had left my blue jeans overnight on the floor, which is a big mistake in Arizona). When I went to put them on, I felt several stings down my left leg thigh. I pulled off my jeans and thought maybe an ingrown hair? It was dark so couldn't see well. I sat on the couch and once I saw several welts and sting marks I went back to the jeans, turned on a light, and shook them well. Out fell a bark scorpion about an inch long. There wasn't terrible pain. It was more like an electric sting and tingling. I took some ibuprofen and allergy medication. It isn't too bad as I sit here typing this. I was wondering I should seek an urgent care, but I think this will pass. Hopefully these aren't my dying words.

Comment from: kathynm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

This is my second scorpion sting. The initial sting hurt. It was a sharp, acute pain. I remembered to stay calm, as getting excited causes the venom to spread faster.

Comment from: 480harleygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I live in Scottsdale. I got stung by a scorpion this morning on my finger. The pain was very intense burning. I called poison control and they determined it was a bark scorpion, since it's the only one that gives a sting that develops tingling along with the pain. About two hours later, the sensations have traveled up my arm to my bicep and now my tongue and bottom lip are tingling. My throat feels strange and it's hard to swallow. I called back to poison control, and they said that this was normal and it could take six hours or longer to subside. The site of the sting is barely visible. I didn't find him yet but I will get the black light out because I have little dogs that I am worried about.

Comment from: NowImATexan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I've lived in Texas for 4 years now, and have seen those little scorpions all over. One of them finally got me! Doing dishes!?!? I reached down to pull the plug and BAM! It's only been an hour, and I'm not in much pain. I just have a little tingling and soreness at the site. I found the little bugger and put it in an airtight container so it can suffer along with me!

Comment from: Dr navab singh, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 30

I was bitten by a scorpion in my house. It bite on my little toe of right foot. The scorpion was small and light brown in color. I felt excruciating pain in my toe for 20-30 minutes. I washed my foot with soap and water. There was no bleeding. My toe developed little bit of swelling and there was one pin head size raised area probably indicating the site of sting. I iced it and now I feel better.

Comment from: Grandma to my kids, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I picked up a damp towel from the bathroom floor that was left overnight. I felt a very minor poke on the top of my hand. I thought something was embedded in the towel. I shook the towel and out dropped a scorpion onto the floor. My hand began to tingle like hundreds of needles poking into it as well as numbness. Pain started shortly after, but ice and Tylenol have been helping me.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scorpion Sting:

Scorpion Sting - Treatment

Share your scorpion sting treatment experience