Viewer Comments: Scorpion Sting - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scorpion Sting:

Scorpion Sting - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience from your scorpion bite?

Comment from: Texas scorp, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I got my sting moving firewood. It felt like a nail got pounded into my thumb. I didn't worry about it until my tongue and lips started to tingle. I took antihistamine and wondered whether to take the 35-minute trek to the nearest urgent care center. My symptoms didn't worsen, but lasted another 12 hours. If it were one of my children, we would have been in the truck right away in case the reaction became more severe.

Comment from: rukittenme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was stung in the armpit while I was asleep. I was hit four times by bark scorpion. I had paralysis in both legs and arms. I was vomiting and my throat/face/tongue numbed. This happened five days ago, and ever since, I've had stinging sensations through my body.

Comment from: Matt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I just got nailed tonight near Tucson, AZ. We have tons of these stupid things near our house and so it was a matter of time before one got me. I picked up a piece of wood and walked about ten feet. All of a sudden I felt like I grabbed an electric wire and I dropped the wood. Luckily my wife was nearby and got out the black light. She found the SOB and we killed it. It was a bark scorpion, about 2.5 inches long. I highly advise getting a black light and spraying the inside of your house if they are nearby. They hurt like heck and you don't want little kids or your pets getting near them.

Comment from: Beasle, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

When I was in Tanzania two weeks ago, I was in a shop when something fell down my top and stung me. I felt an immediate sharp pain like someone was stabbing me in the chest with a hot needle. I had an immediate white ring swell up around the sting site and 10 minutes later the sting had swollen into a red and itchy, very painful rash. I took an antihistamine straight away and put antihistamine cream on and took some paracetamol for the pain. I'm not sure exactly what stung me, but I am pretty sure it was a scorpion. Two weeks later I still have a faint rash over the sting area, but no other symptoms.

Comment from: 74 yr. old in Texas, 65-74 Female Published: July 20

I was stung by a scorpion on my forehead at 1:00 am while asleep in bed. I felt a searing burning immediately. I put ice on it, called the emergency room, told to take two antihistamines and an Advil. About 15 to 30 minutes later began to feel numbness and tingling in around my mouth/tongue area and in my hands and feet. No more symptoms occurred but almost 10 hours later I am still feeling the numbness. Called Poison Control and was told it might last 12 to 24 hours or so.

Comment from: Stacey Manthei, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

I was stung by a scorpion a week ago today on my big toe and I'm still having issues! It itches so bad and has little blisters all over it and when I try to scratch it I have a burning feeling! It is also still swollen on the bottom of my toe.

Comment from: charisse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I put on pair of pants, got sting seven times before taking the pants off. This was my second time. I knew I needed medical help. The sting is so painful and burning sensation!

Comment from: Irene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was stung by a brown scorpion about four hours ago in Casa Grande, Az. I tolerate pain well, but I hollered and cried off and on for a couple hours. I was bite on my right thumb and the horrible pain was like a hot rod burning for three hours. The nerves of my right arm have gradually numbed to my elbow and think it has stopped.

Comment from: Beloved, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 09

I got bit on the knuckle of my second finger of my left hand. And it felt like I got burned by a cigarette. Then it just started burning and stinging more. It was very painful and was shooting up my arm. My whole arm hurt especially the joints all the way up to my shoulder. I couldn't use my arm for few hours. My finger is still numb and frozen 31 hours later. I still can't use it. If it gets moved the wrong way it hurts. Some of my friends said their arm was out for longer. The important thing to remember is to stay calm. I found clay very helpful to draw the poison and reduce the pain at the site. I ate raw garlic for antiseptic reasons and would have taken a large dose of vitamin C if I had it. I also drank a lot of water with lime and did some hot mineral baths.

Comment from: South Africa, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I was stung on the tip of my finger by a scorpion (species unknown), no swelling or puncture marks visible, not really painful only a strange numb tingly sensation, especially when the finger is tapped or bumped. Already 48 hours has passed and still the same sensation but not as severe as in the beginning.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scorpion Sting:

Scorpion Sting - Treatment

Share your scorpion sting treatment experience