Scorpionfish, Lionfish, and Stonefish Poisoning
Scorpionfish, Lionfish, and Stonefish Poisoning Facts
- Scorpionfish, lionfish, and stonefish are all poisonous fish that live in tropical and temperate oceans, especially the Red Sea and Indian and Pacific oceans.
- They all have erectile spines on their dorsal, anal, and pelvic fins.
- Because these fish are not aggressive, contact with them and the poisonings that result are usually accidental.
- Contact with the sharp venomous fin ray spines that are covered with mucus-containing poison on lionfish causes mild envenomation and similar contact with spines on camouflaged scorpionfish causes moderate to severe envenomation.
- The motionless stonefish, when contacted, causes severe to life-threatening neurotoxin poisoning and is likened to cobra venom in toxicity.
Scorpionfish, Lionfish, and Stonefish Poisoning Symptoms
Poisons from these fish spines, in general, may produce the following symptoms, which may vary from person to person, and their intensity is related to the amount of toxin the person is exposed to.
- Intense throbbing pain peaks in 1 to 2 hours and lasts 12 hours. Pain may be so severe as to cause hallucinations.
- Redness, bruising, swelling, numbness, tingling, blisters or vesicles, and tissue shedding at the wound site may occur.
- Severe reactions include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, tremors, abnormal heart rhythms, weakness, headache, diarrhea, slow heart rate (bradycardia), shortness of breath, seizures, decreased blood pressure, fainting, and paralysis. Death may occur.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 5/24/2016
Must Read Articles Related to Wilderness: Scorpionfish, Lionfish, and Stonefish
First aid is an important skill to learn in case of emergencies. Learn how to prevent injuries, when to seek urgent care for injuries, what to stock in a first ...learn more >>
A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>