Font Size
A
A
A

Wilderness: Shellfish Poisoning, Gastrointestinal (cont.)

Shellfish Poisoning Risk Factors and Prevention

Patient Comments

A major risk factor for shellfish poisoning is eating shellfish that has recently been associated with "red tide," a situation where plankton grow so rapidly, its massive numbers of organisms turns the water a reddish hue. Although many health care professionals suggest that people should not eat uncooked shellfish (for example, "raw" oysters) to prevent exposure to bacterial and viral diseases, cooking does not destroy the poisons in contaminated shellfish. There are no antidotes for these shellfish poisons.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 9/30/2016

Must Read Articles Related to Wilderness: Shellfish Poisoning, Gastrointestinal

Activated Charcoal
Activated Charcoal Activated charcoal is a substance used when a person has ingested a poison (drugs or chemicals). learn more >>
Poisoning
Poisoning Poisoning can have serious signs or symptoms including
learn more >>
Scombroid Poisoning (Fish Poisoning)
Wilderness: Scombroid Poisoning Scombroid poisoning is poisoning due to the ing...learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shellfish Poisoning:

Shellfish Poisoning - Patient Experience

Have you ever experienced shellfish poisoning? Please describe your experience.

Shellfish Poisoning - Treatment

What it like having your stomach pumped for shellfish poisoning?

Shellfish Poisoning - Prevention

What do you do to avoid shellfish poisoning?


Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Toxicity, Shellfish »

Infectious agents cause most shellfish-associated illness.

Read More on Medscape Reference »


Medical Dictionary