Viewer Comments: Wrist Injury - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Wrist Injury (Wrist Fracture):

Wrist Injury - Causes

What was the cause of your wrist injury?

Comment from: Cheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I rolled my ankle while walking and fell forward on to my wrist with my wrist bent down. I can't flex my wrist on either side.

Comment from: jadibru, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was raising myself off the floor and felt a sharp pain in my right wrist. It hurt a while and went away. This happened on a couple other occasions in the same way. Now it has been hurting worse for a few days. I can't bend my thumb in an upward position without terrible pain. I could raise it a few days ago but could watch and feel the popping in my wrist. Now my arm is cramping and there is puffiness on the side of my thumb and the wrist where the pain is and even my skin is sore to touch. I'm about to give in and see my doctor. I'm tired of the pain.

Comment from: Katpowell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I picked up a piece of luggage with my right hand threw it over my right shoulder. This happened over a month ago and I have pain in my wrist which also shoots up my forearm.

Comment from: Sallijay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I tripped over outside and used both hands to try to break the fall. My wrist is now very swollen on the top and it is painful to grip things. I cannot even do/undo my belt. I am wearing the support I was given when fell a couple of years ago. If I'm no better in the morning, I will have an X-ray.

Comment from: Billie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

2.5 years ago, I fell on ice and my immediate injury was a torn rotator cuff. Months of physiotherapy felt good at the time, but had no long lasting effects. Not being able to use the shoulder properly, I transferred tasks to my wrist and now, the latest x-rays show many eroded bones. I am in constant pain from the wrist and wear a brace at all times. My doctor wants to send me to a specialist. However, he has an 18 month waiting period. I need help now.

Comment from: Jim Wind, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

A normally placid horse spun round and tried to kick me. I managed to push myself away enough to avoid broken legs, but I damaged right wrist doing so.

Comment from: TINA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My wrists were injured in a car accident.

Comment from: lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I hurt my wrist when I was bitten by my macaw.

I hurt my wrist during soccer season when I was playing soccer. I fell on my wrist and it popped when I landed on it. Now if I use my hand for an extended period of time my hand starts tingling and I can't grip my pencil. I'm not really sure what I did to it.

Comment from: jcrnc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am a labor and delivery nurse and my wrist was injured during a delivery. A patient kicked my hand during a delivery :(

Comment from: litlerny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I injured my right wrist two weeks ago playing golf.

Comment from: anabanana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I'm a cashier. A 29 oz can of food fell on my wrist, a crush injury to my superficial radial nerve and the tendons. I feel heat, numbness, tingling, sudden stabbing pain and sensitivity to the touch. It's been a year and I still have pain. Recently had an MRI and showed that I have a 0.3mm ganglion cyst. I have always felt as if the blood flow is slowed down at the impacted area. My hand still swells but not as much as before. Physical therapy and cortisone shots made it worst. I have a feeling it might also be a small aneurysm the cause of pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Wrist Injury

Hand Injuries
Hand Injuries Hand injuries can be divided into six categories. 1) cuts and lacerations, 2) fractures and dislocations, 3) soft tissue injuries and amputations, 4) infections...learn more >>