Doctor's Notes on 10 Tips for Parenting a Child With ADHD
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a common condition (possibly 11% of school-aged children) with signs and symptoms of hyperactivity, inability to sit still or pay attention ad impulsivity; however, these symptoms vary from mild to severe.
The exact causes of ADHD are not fully understood; it is believed to be related to both chemical changes in the brain and inherited or genetic factors. However, parents, teachers, therapists and other have recommended ways to help the child:
- Work as a team
- Use routines
- Define rules and expectations
- Use positive feedback
- Use consequences for negative behaviors
- Use specific instructions
- Do one thing at a time
- Help stop distractions; manage time
- The parents and caregivers are models; they may do as you do
- Encourage the child especially where they excel
Childhood ADHD : Test, Symptoms & Medication QuizQuestion
The abbreviated term ADHD denotes the condition commonly known as:See Answer
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.