What Is Spirulina?
What Are Health Benefits of Spirulina?
The main health benefit of spirulina is for treating high blood pressure. Some studies have shown it to be effective for this use.
Other benefits of spirulina have not been conclusively proven, and more study is needed. There are claims that spirulina’s health benefits include:
- Use as a protein supplement
- To treat high cholesterol or other fats (lipids) in the blood (hyperlipidemia) – some studies have shown it may reduce cholesterol levels
- For diabetes – may help with blood sugar levels
- Weight loss – some studies have shown a small amount of weight loss but other studies have not
- Hay fever relief
- Athletic performance – may improve endurance
- Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), when taken with a combination of other herbs might improve ADHD in untreated children
- Tics or twitching of the eyelids (blepharospasm)
- Menopause symptoms – may reduce anxiety and depression associated with menopause
- To improve mental alertness
- Reducing anxiety
- May reduce amenia
- To reduce premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms
- Reducing stress
Tell your doctor before taking spirulina or any supplement because it may have unwanted side effects or interactions with medications you take.