Abdominal Pain (Adults)

Please describe the cause and treatment of your abdominal pain. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Cid, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

They say I have chronic constipation, however I go to the bathroom every day at least once, and it is normal, not hard. About every 8 or 12 weeks I get an abdominal pain that starts under my right breast and travels downward. It takes three days or more for the pain to complete the journey, and during this time I am in so much pain I can't walk, don't eat, have broken out in cold sweats and vomited. I miss work. The doctor has run all kinds of test including a liver biopsy and can't find anything; I am sick of being sick.

Comment from: Jim, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

I have felt something constantly in my abdomen for 5 months. I have had bouts of bad diarrhea off and on. Lately after every bowel movement I'm in a lot of discomfort for hours. The doctors think I have irritable bowel syndrome. I have been eating completely heathy and have been on Dicetel for 5 weeks.

Comment from: Isabel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have pain on the top of my tummy as if there is too much gas, and I am having cold sweats. I took a hot drink and the milk is still there. I wonder if it will help if I drink cold water.

Comment from: Ashlei, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I woke up feeling like I had gas, it's been 2 days now and it's not gone away. It hurts really badly under my right rib cage and I feel really tired.

Comment from: Kaz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have severe abdominal pain. I've had it for 4 days now. I'm living on Cuprofen 4 times a day.

Comment from: Courtney, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I am having sharp then dull stabbing abdominal pain below the waistline (where you usually have period cramps). I know it's not period cramps or gas or constipation. Urinating makes it hurt more (not a urinary tract infection though). It's not in the abdomen at all.

Comment from: Gene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I have a stabbing pain in my right abdomen under the ribs. It travels up front to the neck giving pain in my head and I am feeling sick. I'm type 2 diabetic, and my blood sugar level at the moment is between 7 and 9 with tablets.

Comment from: Green, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I have a stitch like pain in my right side abdomen around belly button height.

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I have sharp pain in my gut, it makes me feel weak and sleepy. It hurts as though I have a hurt in the abdomen. It feels acidic and it stings but the gnawing pain is the problem; it interferes with my everyday life!

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

My pain started in the upper right quadrant abdomen right underneath my ribs on the right side about 4 years ago. I would get it occasionally when I turned a certain way but it has progressively gotten worse. Now the pain goes from up there all the way down to my lower abdomen and it feels like somebody is stabbing me in several places at the same time. Once the initial attack is over the pain lingers there like pulled muscles or something for the rest of the day. It's getting so much worse.

Comment from: Kay , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I feel like I'm permanently bloated all the time. My lower left abdomen is so tender almost all the time as well, so much so that my boyfriend can't even lay his hand over my tummy. It's very uncomfortable and I look like I'm a couple months pregnant but I'm not. My doctor told me to “buck up” and never ran any tests on me at all. She just changed my birth control.

Comment from: Gracie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I have lower abdomen pain, in the area centered above the pubic bone. I had blood tests and scan, but nothing showed up. I have just been given antibiotics, Enantyum 25 mg and 4 hourly painkillers, Nolotil and cefixime. It is a great deal of pain and nothing takes it away. In the hospital I was given drips of Nolotil which eased it slightly. It kind of feels like a bad period pain. In another week my doctor is getting me to do yet another urine test, but also another to grow a culture on.

Comment from: Gert, 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 30

My abdominal pain has been diagnosed as caused by my gallbladder tube which is enlarged. Liver is slightly enlarged too. No treatment.

Comment from: JGi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I've had abdominal pain and diarrhea for over 6 weeks, and been going to the emergency room (ER) 3 times. The pain stops if I don't eat. Diarrhea and pain are now back, it hurts in my left side and upper stomach and through my back. I don't know what to do. I can't eat, hurts to drink water, and at the ER they said I had a urinary tract infection, but antibiotics make me even sicker.

Comment from: Golf girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have bloating and abdominal pain. I have had 4 consecutive rounds of Flagel as C. difficile treatment. Now I am starting second week of vancomycin. I am still very bloated. I weigh 114 lb, 5 ft 2 in., very active. It leaves me with low energy and mild nausea.

Comment from: Christi1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I have severe abdominal and pelvic pain, accompanied by low back pain for the past two weeks. My abdomen is very tender to touch. Pain is unrelieved even with narcotics. I have no appetite, and eating makes pain worse. Pain started about two days after my last period.

Comment from: Kris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

For 5 days now I have gas, and the left side hurts and doesn't want to move. My chest hurts the worst.

Comment from: Shwetali bhavake, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

After controlling urine I have pain in my lower abdomen. At night when I sleep, in the middle of the night I feel like urinating but due to being sleepy I am not able to get up again and again. So in the morning I have pain in my back and lower abdomen.

Comment from: Mee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I have been ill for 18 years with abdominal pain on my right hand side below my rib. I have been to the doctors on and off over the years but have been misdiagnosed a few times and have had only a few tests. I am in a great deal of pain on and off. At times I have been semi-bedridden. I also suffer from migraines and this triggers them off and has made them worse. I now have basically full-body migraines. The pain travels up and down my spine and I also have sore feet. I wish I had help.

Comment from: Callmedar55 , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I have abdominal pain in my right side that radiates through to my back, but it doesn't feel like stones. I thought maybe something due to colon problems, but I don't know. I have systemic scleroderma and not sure if that could be causing it. It hurts no matter what I do; stand, sit, walk, lie down, it is just constant.

Comment from: Russian, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

My stomach has been hurting right under my diaphragm all night. My back by my kidneys has also been hurting all night. I have had diarrhea for a week now and had similar stomach pains a few days ago. No other symptoms.

Comment from: Ann , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had a colonoscopy over two weeks ago and since then I am plagued by bloating and stomach cramps that feel like trapped wind, which are very severe at times.

Comment from: Lisalou , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

So here goes. I'm a 46 year old who for the past 15 years wake up every night at least twice with the same horrific pain in my stomach; it's like a spasm or contraction. It lasts between 3 to 8 minutes and then goes. I have been admitted into hospital had every test done and still they can't find out what's wrong. I suffer with PBC (primary biliary cholangitis) and fibromyalgia. I can't take it anymore.

Comment from: Patient , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

It has been a few weeks since my first period (I just had a second period). I had two periods in one month when my breasts were sore. Here it is a few days after my last period and my breasts are still sore, my abdomen feels sensitive to the touch, and if you press down my back hurts. I vomited twice and most of the time I feel very nauseated. With certain foods that I have I have gas and I'm bloated.

Comment from: sasmom13, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I have a side abdominal pain that the doctors keep saying are fat cells but it is a hard lump. I can feel it and the pain radiates from there. It comes and goes but I have had it for a year now, and after sleeve surgery it's hurting again. I mentioned it to my sleeve surgeon and he said same thing; fat cell. My question is that it hurts; feeling so frustrated.

Comment from: Lilmomma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

My belly is hurting, but pain started in my back yesterday. I took something for gas and my abdominal pain stopped but it has been hurting all day today, my belly won't stop hurting, I don't know what it could be.

Comment from: Brenda combs, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

My stomach has been hurting for 3 days. The pain in my left side is growing. I have been taking acid reducers and antacids.

Comment from: Candie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have pain in my abdominal or intestinal area. When I eat, the odd spot as I call it, gets tight and achy pain starts worse. Emergency room has run a gall bladder test and kidney test; nothing. I was going to the bathroom fine 3 weeks ago, now I've had to make myself go because there is no urge to go to the bathroom. I can feel something swollen in there it feels like.

Comment from: Tyler, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

A week ago I experienced constipation, and pain and discomfort in my left abdomen which has since moved to my lower right abdomen. When I press down on my right abdomen it feels tight and tender but I have close to no pain. Not sure what this is and I don't think it is appendicitis because I have close to no pain. I did have a bowel movement yesterday and today but I feel like it wasn't enough.

Comment from: Molly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I had sharp burning pain in my upper abdomen. They said I had a gallstone but my gallbladder is good. I have severe gastritis and a fatty liver. I'm tired of being in pain.

Comment from: Kristyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have periods like once or twice a year. I had one two weeks ago and still having abdominal pain and nausea.

Comment from: Angela, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 27

I have abdominal pain towards my back lower at waist on the left side when standing and after overnight. I have no nausea. It has been 2 weeks, I thought it was gas, and I had bowel movement only after taking a laxative. It's been 2 weeks since a natural bowel movement, feels like gas movement and gas is trapped!

Comment from: shannon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

For 2 years now, I have been dealing with severe abdominal pain. I have had MRI, CAT, upper and lower gastrointestinal tests, blood work, and even gall bladder taken out. I have been on medicine after medicine. I am so embarrassed sometimes, in public the pain will hit me and I fall to my knees in pain and crying. It only lasts maybe 20 minutes, then I am fine but it happens 2 to 3 times a day. My doctor says to go to the emergency room when this happens. I said it stops before I get there. Also I get a tightening in my neck and can't breathe.

Comment from: Gemski, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have been experiencing stabbing pains in the middle of my stomach for 3 days now. The pain is frequent but irregular and lasts a couple of minutes at a time. Sometimes it causes me to double over, other times I can cope with it. When I say irregular I mean I can wake up in the night with pain, take pain killers and go back to sleep but then be woken up again 3 hours later, then go back to sleep for several hours and wake up ok. This has been accompanied with a high temperature, headaches, fatigue, lethargy and diarrhea. I have vomited but only on the one occasion a couple of hours after a meal, I had not eaten properly for a few days so ill assume my stomach had shrunk a little and I ate too much for my stomach to handle. I have had the stomach pains around 2 weeks ago but they disappeared, unfortunately they returned a couple of days ago and seem to be lasting longer than the previous time. I have visited my gp, who pushed around my abdomen a little, then took a urine sample for a pregnancy test which was negative. I then had a blood test, which also came back ok; ruling out appendiscitis so I'm now left with an inconclusive condition and the pain is still there. If you have any new information you may be able to submit it would be helpful.

Comment from: Horatio, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

About twice a month, I get a nagging mild pain deep down on the left-hand side of my abdomen that can last for about a week. I tend to associate it with flatulence, bladder weakness, feeling below-par and lacking in energy. When this phase passes, I generally feel fine until the symptoms reoccur some time later.

Comment from: liliansimage, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am a 21 year old female who has been having sharp pain on my right side just below the rib cage as well as under it, for 3 years and 4 months. I get migraines, nausea, vomiting (every now and then), constipated, I'm tired all the time. I feel as if I could pass out every now and then, the pain is constant it never goes away; I don't have a problem when I eat or after I eat that I've noticed. I can't exercise because it seems to make the pain worse; I have blood in my stool a lot. Doctors can't seem to find out what is wrong with me. I have had x-rays, cats can, hydro scan, EKG, MRI of the spine, colonoscopy, endoscopy, nerve blocks, blood tests, urine tests, ultrasounds, stool samples, and many more test and medications. Nothing seems to show up on the test and nothing seems to help with the pain.

Comment from: stomachpain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have suffered from GERD and nausea for over 2 months. Lately nausea would worsen if I did not eat within 2 hours. I started to eat a better diet of fruit and veggies and whole grains the last 2 weeks. I felt pretty good on sat and sun then without warning I got severe stomach pain that I almost went to the hospital, on Mon morning. I saw my doctor today and I am getting a cat. I have suffered from GERD and nausea for over 2 months. Lately nausea would worsen if I did not eat within 2 hours. I started to eat a better diet of fruit and veggies and whole grains the last 2 weeks. I felt pretty good on sat and sun then without warning I got severe stomach pain that I almost went to the hospital, on Monday morning. I saw my doctor today and I am getting a cat scan for possible diverticulitis.

Comment from: Lml123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I first had aching and now burning sensation in upper abdomen, loose stools and am feeling sick.

Comment from: Tang, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

My belly button is hurting when I touch it, or when I do small movements. And my upper abdomen also starts to hurt. But I am still passing gas and burping. Also my right side almost at the back is hurting.

Comment from: Wendy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I have pain on the left and lower side of my lower abdomen and am very bloated. This started yesterday morning, and I have severe diarrhea. Now today I'm very bloated and have severe pain.

Comment from: Purnell Dunwood, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

This 54 year old man is having pain in the middle of his stomach and it has been like that for 3 days. We don't know the cause of his abdominal pain.

Comment from: hemant, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I get pain in the right side of my abdomen. It travels up to my ribs.

Comment from: Dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

My stomach hurts right above my penis.

Comment from: Alp, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I've been having upper right side abdominal pain and burning that never stops, for a month now. I don't know what the reason could be. My right arm is boiling hot and I am scare and tired.

Comment from: bobo bear, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I have trouble with really bad side abdominal pains for 3 days which has led to my sides hurting more when I cough, and just tonight I have pain in my upper back.

Comment from: viji, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

Once in a month I experience severe left side abdominal pain which lasts for 8 hours. I wonder what the reason could be.

Comment from: Curious lady, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My upper right side abdomen is hurting, right behind my rib cage, and it is tender and sore to the touch. The pain runs to my Back.

Comment from: Bloat!, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I have bloating in my whole stomach all the time for the past 2 or 3 weeks. It feels like there's a watermelon in there. After I use the bathroom whether it's 1 or 2 (sorry), it feels like I got a ton of relief but then my stomach feels larger. I don't know what to do!

Comment from: Quita, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I've had this abdominal pain on my right side (mid-point, seems right below my rib cage). I have no clue what it is but it's been hurting for 6 weeks.

Comment from: May, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have a feeling that my organs in my lower abdomen are going to burst when I sit down, and have pain in my left groin. I feel terrible pressure on my pelvic area. I am being referred to gynecologist, I wonder what is causing my abdominal pain.

Comment from: Sandra, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have pain in my stomach and the runs. It really gets bad, it takes at least four days before I start to feel better. I wonder what it could be. I have been throwing up at least once a month. The abdominal pain feels like a very strong gas pain and it makes me want to cry.

Comment from: Molly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have had lower abdominal pain, nausea, no appetite, and bloated tummy for a week.

Comment from: Randy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

It hurts so bad that I am just doubled over trying to hold my stomach in and trying not to breathe to take away the abdominal pain. It hurts in my back, lower back and the whole stomach area, just feels like it is on fire.

Comment from: Steph, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have not been able to use the bathroom, and now I'm getting these big pains in my stomach. It's been 7 days with the abdominal pain. I do not have any pelvic or vaginal issues, I have already been to the doctor, so I don't know what the problem is.

Comment from: pr Patel , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I have abdominal pain since 3 days. I have to go to the toilet often.

Comment from: tami, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have sharp pain like gas then in my left side of my abdomen when I use the bathroom. I feel like I am dying before I am done. I am a female. I roll up in a ball but it's no help, being straight out helps a little when the pressure is off.

Comment from: Ronda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I am a 44 year old female. I have constant dull ache in my lower abdomen plus sharp pain shooting from left shoulder down to my leg.

Comment from: Mary , 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

I have pain in my stomach more on the left side. I get night sweats but I am cold. I also have nausea; not feeling well at all, I don't know what is going on.

Comment from: BJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had dull pain in lower right abdomen for over 7 days. Movement makes pain worse, I have some tenderness over area, and pain is constant.

Comment from: ttaylor, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 05

I have just started taking see Suboxone, and since taking it I have been having severe upper abdominal cramps. I am wondering if this medication is causing this.

Comment from: Di, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I started with a burning pain in my upper thighs when I had been on my feet for a while, then it is a severe pain in my lower stomach or pelvic area. I have a hard time walking especially up steps. It is very painful and I am having a hard time functioning. But sitting or lying down stops it.

Published: April 18

I had burning pain in left side front radiating to my back.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have had abdominal pain for quite a while now, it has caused the lower half of the abdomen to swell a bit, and it gets very sore that even slight movement is painful. I have just recently had a CT scan and it is showing a 7mm growth on the pancreas, I am wondering if there is anyone who could tell me what this might be, as I am on a waiting list to see a specialist at the hospital, but it will take a while.

Comment from: Maria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Am 41 years old, I have been having this stomach pain since I was 18 years old. Describing the pain is opening someone's stomach and squizing out the intestines. Sometimes it starts from the upper down to the lower part of my stomach, when it gets lower, I pass stool like grinded substance and cools down a bit and starts all over, sometimes it lasts for 1hr or so. I vomit sometimes but does not calm it down. Every test I have done is positive. The after effect can take 3 days to heal. The last pain came last week, and it started from the lower part, stooling and urinating was painful, I went to the clinic, I was told that they will refer me to see a specialist. The pain is much painful that child birth. I do not really know what else I can do.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am suffering with bad bloating and stomach pains on a daily basis I also have lower back pain I was diagnosed with IBS. Nothing works anymore. I look like I'm pregnant but can't be I was sterilized 7 years ago. I'm sick of all discomfort and pain.

Comment from: Abdominal Pain (Adul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I have got operated on my right side for a hernia before two years. After that operation the pain was not reduced, and I'm still in pain today. I also have slight pain and a reduction in erection. I have consulted three urologists. There was no conclusion. One more urologist suspected that prostate problem.

Comment from: spooky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I am a 56 year old female, and I have had severe lower abdominal pain for five years. I have had every test in the book, every scope and scan, and have seen specialists from the three biggest hospitals in Boston. No one can tell me what is wrong, as all of my tests show up negative. Otherwise I am 100% healthy. I do not take any meds for anything else. I have perfect blood pressure, perfect cholesterol and perfect blood sugar. I have to take pain pills every day or I cannot function the pain is so bad. I was told by two surgeons that chronic pelvic pain in women is common, but this is ridiculous. No one will do an exploratory laparoscopy on me, because they said all of my tests are negative. I am very frustrated and so is my primary doctor.

Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I'm a 28 year old female. I have been dealing with abdominal pain for about 10 years. It doesn't happen every day but it is quite frequent. It only happens in the morning. The pain comes on pretty quickly in my lower abdomen and then slowly passes. It feels like a menstrual cramp but much more intense. Some mornings it happens twice but usually it's just one big cramp. It hurts so much that I instantly start to sweat. The whole episode lasts only 1 or 2 minutes and then I'm fine and capable of going about the day. I always assumed it was hormone related because of how it feels and the time of day it happens. As a teenager I had horrible menstrual cycles with pain so bad that I would pass out and throw up regularly. I think those experiences numbed me to abdominal pain and that's why I've been putting up with it for the last 10 years. Because I've been living with it for so long and since the episodes don't last long enough to really interfere with my life, I've never sought medical attention. Perhaps I should.

Comment from: Copper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had nausea vomiting, cramping and a sharp and knife-like at times. Sometimes the pain is so intense I vomit with no relief. Sometimes I want to pace but mostly I am so fatigued that all I want to do is rest. My CT scan of my bowel is unremarkable. In that area there is much cramping and diarrhea, there is no appendix and I've had complete hysterectomy and bladder repair. I am in the hospital awaiting endoscopy and am on heaving duty pain killers and antiemetics.

Comment from: lkw733, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am a 24 year old mother of three kids. I hurt everyday and I have had many tests run for my abdominal pain. I hurt every day, but some days are worse than others. I do not have my gallbladder or appendix anymore, so I know those can't be the problem. I have been seen by many doctors who can not seem to find anything wrong. Right now, all my doctor is doing is giving me strong narcotic pain medication. It helps, but it makes me a little tired.

Comment from: WiseGhy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I am a 47 year old male. I have had two ER visits and 2 w/urgent care as well as several PCP appointments. At first, they thought it was kidney stones, but then the severe pain moved to the abdomen and stayed there. The whole time, my body smelled really bad of ammonia and I had pain everywhere with fatigue, bad allergies with totally jammed up congestion and badly clouded thinking. I finally went to see a "gluten" type doctor. She did a stool test and it turned out to be a serious bacterial AND fungal infection with ammonia producing bacteria and lots of that horrid, painful candida yeast fungus in my intestines and total urinary tract organs. It appears this led to diverticulitis and eventually a near total intestinal shut down. This may have finally caused the bacterial problem. Now, I feel great after 100 mg Diflucan 2x daily. An amino urine testing suggested I have both a genetic and dietary problem. I am now on special vitamin supplements along with a greatly improved diet (w/no sugar). These methods help, along with exercise and deep, regular sleep. Always, always get tested for Candida and bacterial infection. FIND a doctor who has a clue and knows these types of GI problems REALLY exist.

Comment from: maggie8358, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a sharp pain in my lower right abdomen, almost in the groin area. The pain started after dinner last night and continues today. The area is tender to the touch. I also feel bloated. Otherwise, I have no other symptoms.

Comment from: trish, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had a kabob on Friday night. It wasn't good. Around 10 that night, I was at work and I got some anti-diarrheal tablets, and I got a little better. On Monday, I called the doctor and he prescribed me a syrup, which I took, though it has not provided me with much relief. I still feel very weak.

Comment from: saddaughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

Please be very aware of your abdominal pain. My 74-year-old mother was complaining of abdominal pain starting in November of 2009. She had numerous tests/blood work was done with no results. She was still moving around at this point. She thought (because the doctors told her) that it was arthritis. Needless to say on March 10, 2010 the pain became severe. On March 14, she was admitted to the hospital. On March 19 the doctors told her she had stage IV liver cancer. On March 21 she passed away. With all the tests done on her since November I cannot believe this was missed. I have looked at her records and note that numerous blood work done on her in October, November and December came back ABNORMAL. A radiologist performed an ultrasound on her abdomen in December....results? Normal. Please...if your doctor tells you everything is coming back normal....go seek a second opinion.

Comment from: Renee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have had left-sided abdominal pain for seven months, starting in my groin area radiating into my back, down my left leg to my knee. There is a small kidney stone there, but that has been ruled out as the problem. Back problems have been ruled out. The pain is intermittent, but can be severe, especially in bed. A sigmoid showed significant spasms on that side. I had C. diff 18 months ago, but my bowels are normal now, although an MRI showed moderate "constipation." This is perplexing.

Comment from: lnshearer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

On several occasions it will start out as indigestion-like feeling. Bloating and a burning in the area right below my breast bone where the ribs come together. It will intensify to the point that I cannot breathe, and then I start vomiting.

Comment from: momma 12345, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had extreme pain in lower abdominal area just below the belly button to just below the bikini line area and it hurts to the touch. It is also comes with a pain that shoots from the lower abdominal area to my rectum and the pain lasts about 30 minutes to an hour. I get this about once a year and the pain is so bad that I would rather give birth than go through this.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My pain has been with me since I was a little girl. It stopped when I became a teenager. After I had kids, it began all over again. I have had every test you can think of. And they all come back normal. But it's so bad they sent me to the pain specialist. I'm taking pain meds and I feel like I am losing control.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

The abdominal pain that I experience is combined with lots of gas and a feeling of pressure in the rectum area. I eat a high-fiber diet, lots of fruits, grains, whole wheat, oats, cinnamon, flax seed, walnuts, pine nuts, cashews, almonds, not much fat (olive or canola oils), some amount of sugar.

Comment from: clicksmama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

Thanks so much, to all who worked to produce this web site. I am celebrating my 47 birthday today, and am a little worried now if I will see my 48th. I have been procrastinating on my symptoms being bad enough to seek out a hospital for help. Fear is a great motivator. In the last 3 months I have gone as long as 9 weeks with ut a bowel movement. Then wham. When they did move the pain dropped me like a fire cracker. I was alone and had no way to get help. After 4 hours I made it to my recliner where I stayed for 4 days. That was almost a month and a half ago. I have self-medicated with stool softeners. Hoping and praying to get better. A triple dose will produce an effect, after 2-4 days. As of now it has been 7+ days. After reading this article I have realized how serious my condition is. It's 11:00 am now. At 4:10 pm I will be heading to the ER. If the pain gets any worse I will call 911. Feeling like I may pass out. Thanks again for the heads up.

Comment from: Hopeful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

Since April of 2009 I have experienced extreme pain in my abdomen. A hospital stay showed diverticulitis and infection. Since then I have lived with pain which has gotten worse as time has gone on. I have had two colonoscopies and both times they could not finish the tests. The dcotor said he saw a great amount of scar tissue and now I am scheduled for a lower GI to see if they can determine what to do next. The pain is intense and nothing seems to help. I am becoming very nervous and feel exhausted from it all. I just want it to be fixed so I can get on with my life. I have had bowel problems as long as I can remember. One doctor told me that I was just wired differently. Now it seems this is getting out of hand and I desperately need relief.

Comment from: hatebeing ill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I was given Acyclovir about 12 days ago an hour after noticing a rash - shingles on right torso. Rested 4 days, went back to work, some skin sensitivity. Twisted in chair 2 nights ago, got a sharp stabbing pain in left abdomen. This has happened a couple of times since when I've tensed (e.g. getting up from a chair). Now feel slight tension/soreness just below ribs most of the time.

Comment from: bd, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 04

Pain near belly button. Strong abdominal pain to left and right of belly button. Burning to solid pain. Last for hours. There has been no connection to any food types. I have had a celiac test, a lactose test, ultrasound and an upper GI...but nothing appears. I have tried Levision and Ompherzaleto help. The only thing that makes it better is to lie down. The pain doesn't happen everyday...just will appear. I am at a loss for the cause.

Comment from: DJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been experiencing dull ache in my lower abdomen that worsens after eating. It feels like built up gas and I will get nausea with it but have not vomited. I get a bit light headed as well. The symptoms have been going on for at least two weeks and come and goes.

Comment from: Ginney Green, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

Hi I am 23 years old just out of the blue or mainly at night, I would get this very sharp pain right in between my rib cage and then it will shoot down my stomach. I will get diarrhea and then get very nauseous. My doc thought that it was my gallbladder and that I might have gallstones but she had me checked and it wasn't either of those! I am really confused and don't know what is going on I am in so much pain I really want to get to the bottom of this!

Comment from: confused, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

Sudden, sharp lower abdominal pain (like cramps) came from nowhere, it was sharp and quick, then it passed, a few minutes later I got another sharp, sudden pain. I felt nauseous and started sweating. Within a few minutes I felt something was really wrong. I went to the emergency and there the Dr. told me he felt I had either the onset of a stomach flu, or food poisoning. That was last night and today I feel the same but no sharp pains, just a dull ache, weak, tired, totally drained and overall uncomfortable.

Comment from: Jackie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I was sick to stomach throwing up for 1 day and have loose stools that was on Friday then Sat I quit throwing up but bad cramps in lower abdomen. I went to doctor Wednesday and gave stool sample on Thursday, but today Friday the cramping is so bad its making me sick to my stomach I'm throwing up and have only had 1 bowel movement which again is loose and stringy. The pain is so bad I don't know how to get it to stop, I've tried hot tea, food but the pain makes me throw it up. I am 79 years old and also have COPD so I'm on oxygen. Also the doctor won't have any answers until next week sometime and this pain is unbearable.

Comment from: mplance05, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am a 24 yr old female. My pain started about 6 months ago. The pain is right below my bust line, you know right where your ribs come together it seems like. And at first, I thought like most people, it is acid reflux. But when I took some Nexium, the pain just got worse, and then I was vomiting. I was curled up in a ball on the bathroom floor crying because it hurt to move. Ever since then, I get the pain like every two months, and it takes like a whole week for the pain to subside.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had an appendectomy and ever since then when I eat or sometimes when I don't eat, I get a really bad pain in my stomach that'll last about a minute. It's a sharp pain in my upper abdomen to my gut basically.

Comment from: scared, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I was diagnosed with Colitis and Gastroparesis and have stomach pain all of the time. About every 4-5 months now (and it keeps getting closer together) I get what you would call the worst pain in your life in my stomach including vomiting. It used to last about 10 hours then the worst of the pain would be over and I would be transferred to a reg. room. My last episode a month ago lasted 2 1/2 weeks without subsiding. The trauma alone of what I went through left me unable to speak. I prayed to die many times and I have 2 beautiful daughters. I can not go through that again. The only rest I got was from passing out and it was a very little break. Please help me find an answer so it doesn't happen again. These attacks are not from the Colitis and many doctors have worked on me with no answer.

• Abdominal Pain - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your abdominal pain?

Post View 3 Comments
  • Abdominal Pain - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your abdominal pain?

Post View 40 Comments
  • Abdominal Pain - Causes

What caused your abdominal pain?

Post View 2 Comments
  • Abdominal Pain - Physical Examination

Please describe your experience with abdominal pain physical examination.

Post View 1 Comment
  • Abdominal Pain - Diagnosis

Please share your abdominal pain diagnosis experience.

Post View 1 Comment

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

REFERENCE:

Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.