Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Facts
- Abdominal pain is one of the most common reasons for a parent to bring his or her child to medical attention.
- Evaluation of a "tummy ache" can challenge both parents and the physician.
- Possible causes for a child's abdominal pain range from trivial to life-threatening, with little difference in the child's complaints.
- Fortunately, abdominal pain in a child usually improves quickly.
- Each parent or caregiver faces the difficulty deciding whether a complaint needs emergency care or not.
Causes of Abdominal Pain in Children
- Infections: Viruses or bacteria can cause abdominal pain, typically from stomach flu or gut flu (called
gastroenteritis). Viral infections tend to go away quickly, while bacterial infections may need an antibiotic to get better.
- Food-related: Food poisoning (which has symptoms like those of stomach/gut flu),
food allergies, eating excessive food, or
gas production – any of these can cause
bloating and temporary discomfort.
Usually the onset is rapid after eating.
- Poisoning: This
can range from simple problems (such as eating soap) to more serious issues like
iron pills, magnets, coins, botulism from spoiled food, or an overdose of medications
acetaminophen poisoning [Tylenol]).
- Surgical problems: These include appendicitis or blockage of the bowels.
- Medical causes: Things outside the abdomen can cause abdominal pain. For example, a child can have abdominal pain from complications of diabetes or from a black widow spider bite.
Last Reviewed 11/20/2017
Must Read Articles Related to Abdominal Pain in Children
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Poisoning
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning is caused primarily by damage to the liver. Symptoms of acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal ...learn more >>
The cause of appendicitis is not clear. Common symptoms of appendicitis include vague abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, constipation, diarrhea. Some peop...learn more >>
Black Widow Spider Bite
The bite of a black widow spider can be serious, but it's rarely fatal. Symptoms include:
learn more >>
- muscle pain in large muscle groups, ...
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain in Children: