Abdominal Pain in Children

What caused your child's abdominal pain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bellafairley1 , 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 22

My 11 year old has had severe stomach pain, constantly feels sick and isn't eating. This has gone on for 2 weeks, he's had blood test and urine test, but so far everything is good. I don't know what else to look at.

Comment from: Kdiaco, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My daughter is 6 years old and has been complaining of stomach pain for about a year. We have done ultrasound done that looked good apart from gallbladder sludge. Both her pediatrician and gastrointestinal (GI) doctor were not concerned and said this is normal. We had an endoscopy that was normal. We have done lab tests to check for Crohn's, celiac, and other diseases that can cause this pain and they have all come back normal. We have done lab tests to check for deficiencies and these too have come back normal. Her pain is located centrally in her stomach. The pain usually lasts perhaps an hour, and occurs almost daily at least once. However, for two days now it has been almost constant. In the past, I have kept a food log but found no relation to anything she was eating. She has not been eating well for two days as her stomach is hurting. In the past, she only slows down temporarily until the pain passes, but it is now affecting her school and home life. I am no longer sure what to do. I am getting a second opinion from another GI doctor. I wonder if it could be irritable bowel syndrome even though she has no constipation/loose bowels ever. I have no idea if there's something else that should be checked, if I am missing something. A child should not be this uncomfortable without a cause.

Comment from: Kathy R., 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My grandson has a history of abdominal pain. He has runny stools, vomiting, severe fatigue, but no fever. This is not an everyday occurrence, but does occur more than 2 or 3 times a month. He is ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) and is on Zoloft, omeprazole, Claritin and fiber. This has been an ongoing thing since he was 7 and he is now 15. Gall bladder has been removed. Normal testing doesn't show any blockages. At 7 he had 2 subdural hematomas from a wreck and we don't know if that has anything to do with his problems but this was about when symptoms started. He is being treat by a pediatric doctor and neuro-therapist for all of this, still no help. My daughter is at her wits' end.

Comment from: KS, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My son is 13 and has been having stomach pain for a couple years. I took him to the emergency room once, did all kinds of test and they say nothing is wrong. How can that be when he's in so much pain! It usually lasts about an hour.

Comment from: cnkred001, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 20

I have a 20 month old son who wakes every night during sleep with what seems to be stomach pains. He starts off grunting and rolling around, and kicks his legs and pulls them in and out. If I give him his pacifier it will help temporarily, but another hour or two later he will wake again. This has been going on since birth, and the doctor dismisses it every time we bring it up as nothing.

Comment from: cheryl, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

Our 10-year-old granddaughter is having abdominal pain and she did have a virus before the pain started. Last week she had an endoscopy but it will be another week before the results are back. All other tests have shown nothing, including a CT scan. She's going in to her second week missing school, plus the days she had to be picked up early from school. She's a good student and loves school. We're at our wit's end trying all the prescribed medicines, foods, etc.

Comment from: ljw, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My 10 year old had a campylobacter infection, was treated with antibiotics and has ongoing abdominal pain and nausea throughout the day. It varies in intensity. She has no fever, vomiting or diarrhea. She is not excessively tired, but definitely not herself. It will be 5 weeks in two days since she had her first symptom. She has not been able to return to school due to the discomfort and its unpredictability. We are seeking any information or suggestions.

Comment from: Gena'sMom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 03

My 6 year old daughter complained of stomach pain for weeks before I realized it always occurred after a meal. The symptoms presented like constipation so we treated it as such. It wasn't until a month or so later when she showed the more well-known symptoms of weight-loss, thirst and frequent urination, that she was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I never knew stomach pain could be a symptom.

Comment from: Rupesh T, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

My 2 year 8 months old daughter is suffering from pain abdomen with cough and cold since last 5-6 days. Her pain is neither a continuous nor a long lasting one. She complains pain twice or thrice a day after a gap of approximately 6-7 hours and sometimes (very rare) at night she wakes up and complains same pain.

Comment from: cowboymom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 12

I have a 13 year old daughter who has been complaining for years of a stomachache. I have brought her numerous times to the doctors and they have told me this is normal in children, that it is common for them to complain of stomachaches. My daughter's symptoms are getting increasingly worse. We have tried to watch what she eats, but cannot pin point it. She does not get diarrhea or anything, just terrible stomach pain, so bad that she gets pale and feels like she is going to pass out. She claims her stool is normal. She is not herself as well these days, and suffers every day.

• Abdominal Pain In Children At Night - Treatment

What did you do to treat your child's abdominal pain?

Post View 1 Comment
  • Abdominal Pain in Children - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your children abdominal pain?

Post View 3 Comments
  • Abdominal Pain in Children - Home Remedies

What home remedies have you found helpful in treating abdominal pain in children?

Post View 1 Comment

Medically reviewed by Margaret Walsh, MD; American Board of Pediatrics

REFERENCE:

UpToDate. Causes of acute abdominal pain in children and adolescents.

UpToDate. Patient information: Chronic abdominal pain in children and adolescents (Beyond the Basics).