Abscess

Please describe any home remedies that you tried for a skin abscess. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Just a junkie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

This is an old junkie trick for abscesses from IV drug use. Over the counter homeopathic drawing salve Prid. Got to catch it as soon as you can. Any pharmacy sells it. Follow easy instructions and it works. I used it a few times and my abscess cleared on its own. If it's not working, seek medical care immediately.

Comment from: K, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

I used a hot bath to help the abscess drain naturally.

Comment from: Ami, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I am a little surprised that no one has admitted (I can't be the only one) that their abscess was caused by IV drug use. I have been using for approximately 5 to 6 years and I have been hospitalized for abscesses 3 times. All 3 times my abscess resulted in pretty intense surgery and a very lengthy (3 months!) stay in an after-care facility. During after-care I was given a PICC line to administer fluids and antibiotics around the clock. I currently have 3 medium size abscesses, one on my right arm and 2 on my left. I am taking antibiotics I happened to have on hand and hoping to heal at home.

Comment from: Disciple of Jesus, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I've had a number of skin abscesses over the years, including one on my back that became the size of a baseball. It was eventually lanced, drained (14 fl. oz. of the vilest stuff you ever saw) then packed with gauze at the emergency room (ER). It was the worst pain I'd ever had; until now. Right now I have one in my left armpit about 2 inches long and an inch wide, which stands out about 1/2 inch. It is more painful than anything I've ever experienced. I am not looking forward to an ER trip, hoping it will drain naturally. I wish I could upload a picture here, I took one a few mins ago and it is gnarly.

Comment from: Kazam, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 15

My boyfriend has a lump in his armpit the size of a tennis ball. It came up overnight. He waited 2 weeks to go to the doctor thinking it was a swollen lymph node. He finally went last Tuesday, and the doctor was concerned because there was no redness. He did blood tests immediately and did an ultrasound on Friday. Now it is red and hot, and changed shape; looks more like a plum now with a crease in it. We think it is an abscess. Just worried of it draining inside, before the doctor calls back. I wonder if it is ok for it to pop inside.

Baddour, Larry M. "Skin abscesses, furuncles, and carbuncles." UpToDate.com. June 2015. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/skin-abscesses-furuncles-and-carbuncles?source=search_result&search=Skin+Abscess&selectedTitle=1~45>.

Goldstein, Beth G., and Adam O. Goldstein. "Overview of benign lesions of the skin." UpToDate.com. June 2015. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/overview-of-benign-lesions-of-the-skin?source=search_result&search=cyst&selectedTitle=1~150#H59809494>.

Margesson, Lynette J., and F. William Danby. "Pathogenesis, clinical features, and diagnosis of hidradenitis suppurativa (acne inversa)." UpToDate.com. June 2015. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/pathogenesis-clinical-features-and-diagnosis-of-hidradenitis-suppurativa-acne-inversa?source=search_result&search=hidradenitis+suppurativa&selectedTitle=2~42>.