Skin Abscess

Please describe any home remedies that you tried for a skin abscess. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gerie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I had witch hazel immediately poured into the large skin abscess that had formed on my inner thigh, and it popped within minutes and drained foul smelling discharge. I ordered online sitz bath salt and have been slowly healing the wound, almost a week now. No growth is a great sign.

Comment from: CAB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Hot moist compresses help to bring a skin abscess to a head. Then at the most inopportune time it will rupture and make a mess.

Comment from: rskiles411, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I too had a skin abscess in my left armpit. It was horrible! I have had to have 2 drained in the last 10 years and this was about to be my 3rd! I have been to the doctor and just kept throwing antibiotics at it. I applied Prid a couple of times on Friday, overnight and Saturday morning. At about the 24 hour mark, bam, it was over!

Comment from: Danica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I got admitted to the hospital for cellulitis. After that, I still kept having skin abscesses. Home remedies take too long. I had anxieties and kept putting alcohol on everything. Didn't work. What worked for me is treating any wound with ointment. Most importantly, what no doctor has ever told me, is it takes a holistic approach to avoid it. I lessened sugar intake and started exercising. I linked sugar with bacterial growth, dead skin cells, and lowered immunity. It's a sign we're unhealthy.

Comment from: mandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I had a blackhead on my shoulder (about 3 cm down from the shoulder bone) which turned into a large abscess after my several attempt to squeeze the blackhead. I was prescribed antibiotics to ‘settle down' the abscess for surgery. It softened with the antibiotics. I made a portion of 1 drop clove oil to 4 drops olive oil and massaged for 2 nights. It got very painful and popped out like a tennis ball on the 2nd night. Wham! In the morning it popped while I was showering, draining everything for hours.

Comment from: Johnny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

What I need to know is if you put a dressing on an abscess after or while it's draining.

Comment from: Just a junkie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

This is an old junkie trick for abscesses from IV drug use. Over the counter homeopathic drawing salve Prid. Got to catch it as soon as you can. Any pharmacy sells it. Follow easy instructions and it works. I used it a few times and my abscess cleared on its own. If it's not working, seek medical care immediately.

Comment from: K, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

I used a hot bath to help the abscess drain naturally.

Comment from: Ami, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I am a little surprised that no one has admitted (I can't be the only one) that their abscess was caused by IV drug use. I have been using for approximately 5 to 6 years and I have been hospitalized for abscesses 3 times. All 3 times my abscess resulted in pretty intense surgery and a very lengthy (3 months!) stay in an after-care facility. During after-care I was given a PICC line to administer fluids and antibiotics around the clock. I currently have 3 medium size abscesses, one on my right arm and 2 on my left. I am taking antibiotics I happened to have on hand and hoping to heal at home.

Comment from: Disciple of Jesus, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I've had a number of skin abscesses over the years, including one on my back that became the size of a baseball. It was eventually lanced, drained (14 fl. oz. of the vilest stuff you ever saw) then packed with gauze at the emergency room (ER). It was the worst pain I'd ever had; until now. Right now I have one in my left armpit about 2 inches long and an inch wide, which stands out about 1/2 inch. It is more painful than anything I've ever experienced. I am not looking forward to an ER trip, hoping it will drain naturally. I wish I could upload a picture here, I took one a few mins ago and it is gnarly.

Comment from: Kazam, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 15

My boyfriend has a lump in his armpit the size of a tennis ball. It came up overnight. He waited 2 weeks to go to the doctor thinking it was a swollen lymph node. He finally went last Tuesday, and the doctor was concerned because there was no redness. He did blood tests immediately and did an ultrasound on Friday. Now it is red and hot, and changed shape; looks more like a plum now with a crease in it. We think it is an abscess. Just worried of it draining inside, before the doctor calls back. I wonder if it is ok for it to pop inside.

SLIDESHOW