Viewer Comments: Abscess - Home Remedies

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Home Remedies

Please describe any home remedies that you tried for a skin abscess.

Comment from: K, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

I used a hot bath to help the abscess drain naturally.

Comment from: Ami, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I am a little surprised that no one has admitted (I can't be the only one) that their abscess was caused by IV drug use. I have been using for approximately 5 to 6 years and I have been hospitalized for abscesses 3 times. All 3 times my abscess resulted in pretty intense surgery and a very lengthy (3 months!) stay in an after-care facility. During after-care I was given a PICC line to administer fluids and antibiotics around the clock. I currently have 3 medium size abscesses, one on my right arm and 2 on my left. I am taking antibiotics I happened to have on hand and hoping to heal at home.

Comment from: Disciple of Jesus, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I've had a number of skin abscesses over the years, including one on my back that became the size of a baseball. It was eventually lanced, drained (14 fl. oz. of the vilest stuff you ever saw) then packed with gauze at the emergency room (ER). It was the worst pain I'd ever had; until now. Right now I have one in my left armpit about 2 inches long and an inch wide, which stands out about 1/2 inch. It is more painful than anything I've ever experienced. I am not looking forward to an ER trip, hoping it will drain naturally. I wish I could upload a picture here, I took one a few mins ago and it is gnarly.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw, or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?