Abscess

What treatment was effective for your abscess? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kierra , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I have this hidradenitis thing going on. I'm only 24 but it's been about 4 or 5 years of dealing with this. On a recent trip for answers at the dermatologist, I was introduced to Humira, the best thing I've come across. As a beginner if Humira, you have to give yourself 4 shots on the first day, from that first day on out, I never had a new cyst or abscess pop up. I was having them frequently before Humira. A new one would begin to develop almost every other day, this was amazing help for me!

Comment from: Oxytocin.Indigo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

Clean the entire area with Dial soap or antibacterial soap, and wash hands thoroughly. I suggest gloves depending on the location, if not always. Baking soda warm water soak is good for its antibacterial and antifungal properties. If it is necessary and you cannot or will not go to a doctor as soon as you begin to notice signs of infection, with a sterile blade you can make a small cut on the abscess, this will undoubtedly relieve pressure instantaneously. Be sure to lance the abscess carefully, and be sure to add soft consistent pressure to the area. Be sure to note redness and pain, and swelling. Consult a doctor immediately. Monitor the area for further infection.

Comment from: SandyEggo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I have waited thinking it would get better and had to have the abscess drained and packed. I thought the ones on my face were bad, that was until I got one on my labia. It really hurt. Warm compresses kind of helped until it burst on its own. But in my experience, it's sooner the better with going to the doctor and getting antibiotics.

Comment from: Hugh Manatee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

Occasionally I get abscesses between the scrotum and rectal area. Upon the first sign of stinging, I use iodine wipes to cleanse it and then a good sized dose of Neosporin ointment two or three times a day. Usually they will head up and pop on their own after a day. Re-treat it again and it's fine.

Comment from: Jordan, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 07

My son would get a recurring abscess on his leg. After the 3rd round of antibiotics we decided to try Nuvaderm liquid. I read that it kills staph infections. Best thing I ever did because the next time he had it I put this stuff on (exceeding the affected area) and the next morning it was gone! There really is no guidance on how long to treat so I kept applying it for the next 9 days. Honestly I wish I could tell everyone that suffers from these things to try this because it was a miracle for us.

Comment from: Real420ganja, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

The emergency room (ER) did not drain my abscess. I have a big one on my lower ear lobe the size of a nickel and very painful. I got antibiotics and pain medicines. If it does not go down I will be very annoyed. The ER was very unprofessional, I may need another visit elsewhere.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I had an abscess develop on my buttocks once and it festered off and on for about a year. The only treatment given it was to allow it to burst on its own, which it did after a year. I then made a paste of raw garlic and applied it for an hour. No more problem since.

Comment from: Beenthere, (Patient) Published: September 29

I am currently recovering from what appears to be a perianal abscess. It had me bedridden for days. I searched online for home treatments and tried 2 of them. First was a mixture of baking soda with Bragg apple cider vinegar. I made a paste and placed it on the abscess. After the 3rd time the abscess began to discharge and relief was immediate. It went from pain level 10 to about a 7 to 8. The vinegar paste burned a little so I decided to try the more popular tea tree oil and turmeric paste. That also burned but I sucked it up and applied it for at least an hour at a time. I did these applications for about 4 days straight. It would help it discharge as much as possible and I also took Augmentin and then amoxicillin during the entire time. The abscess is still draining but I am around a pain level 3 so I am one happy girl. As a precaution, I am probably going to see a doctor, but just want others to know that if you find yourself in a bind, those 2 home remedies do work.

Comment from: SCS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

Ever since childhood I have had what the Navy doctors diagnosed as sebaceous cysts of the scrotum. As I grew through adolescence, so did the abscesses. I would use a needle to excise the 'cheese' while squeezing and let it heal on its own. I know now that wasn't the smartest procedure, but it worked. Later in life the number and frequency of the cysts have diminished dramatically and they barely developed. Now that I'm in my 50s, I have also developed cysts under my armpits and sought my doctor's advice. He gave me antiseptic soap to wash the area with, 3 times a day. It either worked or they just went away on their own. With the summer months and the increased sweating, I have had a recurrence and found the best solution is to just let them be and they eventually are absorbed back into my body. There is a syndrome named after someone that points out a certain trait where a person will develop cysts in their feet, penis and hands. I have them in 2 of the 3; maybe it just occurred on my scrotum and missed the penis. Hands and feet could cause issues later in life, but so far I'm just dealing with it. I hope my testimony helps.

Comment from: Karen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

An abscess is no joke especially when they reoccur. I have experienced an abscess on my thigh for many years, and I was given every antibiotic, Accutane, prednisone and various ointments. What helped me most was weight loss, turmeric capsules, and I continue to bathe in hot water. If fever is present peroxide will reduce the fever and clean the area. My doctor advised me to limit chocolate, Coke and milk. I love milk but only drink it once in a while now. I also occasionally use Butt paste. This is to relieve me of the drainage and odor these things can cause. It will dry the area for a while. Hope this helps someone. Also check out hidradenitis suppurativa. Good Luck!

Comment from: Mazza, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 07

I have a 2 inch long surgical incision done 2 weeks ago in my groin, it was stitched in the middle and left open at the ends. It seeped a steady stream for 9 days and seemed ok then it started to close up at the bottom end and started to ooze brownish smelly fluid at the top. I had a course of antibiotics and have kept it sealed up with Tegaderm patches, apart from washing daily, but it still smells and is all closing up. It should be opened and packed but they said it was too deep, hence stitches. I am menstruating now so I have to cover it up; and I work and walk about! I can't get to my doctors till end of week.

Comment from: jojo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I know it may sound really strange but I was in so much pain from recurrent abscesses (I had around 10- 6 or 7 of them were 'operated' on and some made my leg swell twice the size with the abscess in between the size of an egg and a cricket ball). The abscesses were usually on my leg or in my arm pit; I had one in my rectum area too. I had been to the doctors so many times and put on dicloxicillin which seemed to help at the time, yet they still kept on recurring. I searched and searched the internet for answers and cures and I stumbled upon earth clinic that seemed to have a number of people who had raved about turmeric (over 300 out of 320- something like that- people had said it worked for them when having recurring boils). So I gave it a try- it tastes horrible, I mixed 1 to 2 teaspoons with hot water then downed it. I probably did this for a couple of weeks daily. I think there are capsules you can get if you really hate the taste. It really worked for me. Then I followed the instructions that if I ever felt another one coming (once or twice I had the start of a lump) and it went right down after drinking turmeric. Sorry if this doesn't work for you, but if it can help someone I will feel happy that I wrote this. I know I was desperate and am so happy I found this simple cure- with almost no side effects.

Comment from: barbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had an abscess on my right foot from a pain shot and my foot and ankle swelled. I have never had a problem before when I had the shots. Doctor says it is phlebitis, but online it says nothing about it within the foot areas. I wonder what could have caused this.

Comment from: jwark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

Thanks to whoever mentioned turmeric. It has worked wonders for me.

Comment from: kinkyto, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I have been HIV+ for over 20 years now, and thanks to medical treatment, I have been pretty much in good health. I've been able to keep working. A few months ago I started having severe pain on my right hip. I went to the ER, and after a few tests I was diagnosed with an abscess on the head of the right femur. The abscess was first aspirated (fine needle guided). Then I have surgery on the hip to remove any abscess let and check on the bone for osteomyelitis.

Comment from: Scott, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

I developed a bad abscess on my pelvis. It had gone from a small bump to the size of a baseball in just four short days. I went to the ER and they admitted me immediately. Within 24 hours I was in surgery. The result was a giant hole in my pelvis and three days of IV antibiotics. Now I am attending a wound care clinic every four days and the doctor said it will be quite some time before I heal. What a crazy place for an abscess to develop!

Comment from: tamjay27, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had two abscess surgeries in the past three months. That's two open wounds with packing under my left armpit. I now have four (abcesses) under my right armpit. I'd really like to know what's causing these, but my doctor cannot tell me and I am very upset.

Comment from: p.a girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I've been dealing with abscesses since I was 20. I'm 31 now. I currently have one under each arm and one underneath my breast. I've been to the emergency room twice this week and the ER doctor said they weren't ready to be drained and sent me home with antibiotics that usually don't work.

Comment from: aussiemum32, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have suffered from abscesses since I was 16 years old. I am now 33 years old. Antibiotics don't work and I am allergic to penicillin. I have tried every type of soap, cream, over counter, and prescription known to man. 10 years ago I was told that I would have to have my sweat glands removed and skin grafts over my armpits to get rid of them. Since then they have spread to my groin, and I have tremendous scars as a result, I am constantly self-conscious of them, and whenever someone sees the scars, I have to tell them. I have yet to find a treatment that works. I have had about three surgically removed. I am happy and sad knowing there are others out there suffering. This is painful, and I would wish nothing more than a cure to be found. In the meantime, I would try follow the advice of others who have shared things they have tried and keep my fingers crossed. If it works for me, I will be sure to share my experience so that others may find relief from this horrible skin condition.

Comment from: Abscessmagnet, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I have at least three or four abscesses drained in a year. I have been having this problem for about 12 years now. I am a 38 year old male and I am constantly going to the hospital to have them drained and packed. This makes it hard to keep a job. I also suffer from severe anxiety so I believe stress also plays a big part in this. They are very painful and can be very debilitating.

Comment from: Maxi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have has several abscesses and am about to have one lanced today. No antibiotics work for me.

Comment from: Anon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

In September I was diagnosed with cellulitis and abscess of the buttock. I also got sepsis from this infection. It stemmed from a cut I got from shaving my bikini area. The infection tunneled through that area and ended up swelling my left buttock. I immediately went the ER, I was weak, could not walk or sit and was in excruciating pain. That night in the hospital it burst near my anus. The next day I was in surgery and they had to go in and finish draining it and removing any dead cells. It was extremely painful, humiliating and humbling. Afterwards, I had a nurse come to my home daily to pack the wound. If they do not heal properly it can lead to a fistula. Hopefully this won't happen again, as it has still not healed completely and I am in the second month. Please take good care of your body. If you cut yourself take the proper precautions. I would not wish this experience on my worst enemy.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I have had multiple abscess over the last couple of years, I have had them in my armpits, buttocks, groin, shin and knees, hips and upper thighs all have been painful but thankfully only a couple have needed to be lanced and all have left me with horrible scars. The one thing I have figured out is that major stress can cause them at least for me, so to be as preventative as possible I use a body wash called Physohex (not to be used on children), which is a disinfectant and if I have a abscess and it has got a head on it I use a drawing ointment called Magnoplasm which draws out the pus that can be a little stubborn.

Comment from: dln84, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had gotten an abscess inside of my abdominal wall where I had appendicitis. It formed about 10 days later and kept me in the hospital for almost 2 weeks. They treated me with 3 strong antibiotics & I had to have a drain surgically placed in the abscess and flush and drain 4 times daily. I will have the drain removed on Monday hopefully if the CT scan says it is ok. I'm still on antibiotics for it. Mine is about the size of a golf ball...painful and no fun. I hope nobody has to experience this. This happens to about 20% of patients after a removed appendix.

Comment from: embarrassed, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

I just went to the doctor, he said that I have an abscess near my anus... very painful and embarrassing. I really can't do anything without aggravating it. All he did was give me some antibiotics and told me to take hot baths as much as I can till it pops. From what I'm reading it doesn't seem to be a very effective way to treat it. I have also heard of a pilonidal cyst and I have heard that doctors can drain these. I should probably see another doctor.

Comment from: marie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was four months pregnant when I got an abscess on the lower part of my stomach was very painful. I went to the doctor and it burst as she was looking at it. I was given antibiotics and I was very worried, but I was glad I went to the doctor. Having an abscess is not a pleasant experience but it's such a relief when it drains.

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

For boils, get a second opinion. I found a peanut sized lump in my armpit on Monday. I went to see the doc on Tuesday and told I had pimple. I went back on Friday because the pain was unbearable and was told I had a cyst. They lanced it and sent me home. Sunday I went to a walk in clinic to have the bandages changed and they repacked it WITHOUT freezing!! I almost passed out. Monday I was back again and told the "abscess" had spread and now the oreo sized lump had to be cut open like an old change purse. Now I have to go back daily to get the dressing changed and I hope I can avoid being admitted to emergency... so if you have a peanut sized cyst get it lanced early.

Comment from: bob from ohio, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I have been getting abscesses most of my life. I get them all over and they are brutally painful. I get one fixed and another one comes to ruin my life. I can't them to go away. I can't work and I can hardly sit still and I have lost all of my jobs. I have had several surgeries for them and they keep coming back. I don't know what to do. I have no money and I am in danger of becoming homeless because of this. When I tell people my problem, they look at me funny, or think I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but they have no idea how much this disables someone. I wish it would just go away so I can have a real life.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had an abscess on my lower thigh. I'm not sure what caused it, but I went crying to the ER in the middle of the night. My advice is that if you think you have an abscess, get to the doctor. You don't want to get to the point I got. It was so painful I could barely walk because the tissue in my leg was so tight and swollen. They lanced it and packed the wound as it had been draining. Yes, it was painful, but it was worth the relief. It has been an extremely horrible experience. It has been almost five days and it is still very sore. I don't think I could have taken much longer trying to get the stuff out with hot compresses. My advice to anyone dealing with this is to just suck it up and go in and have it drained if you are reading this. Get your antibiotics and pain medications and the quality of your life will be greatly improved while you recover.

Comment from: Sleeping_beauty21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I am currently recovering from an abscess that formed under my armpit. I tried to pop it myself, yet the infectious puss caused 3 more to appear, leading me to rush to the emergency room where they were cut open, drained, and stuffed with packing. Two days later I pulled the stuffing out. It was the most painful experience of my life. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Comment from: helpme79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

An abscess isn't a joke. It's nothing like a toothache. Some say labor pains are more pleasant. I don't know about that because I don't have kids, but I can say you'll feel like ripping someone's head off when you're experiencing the pain. It's massive and I would not wish this on anyone.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm dealing with an abscess around my cheek they are very painful. The main cause of an abscess is dirty ingrown hairs yes people, gigantic razor bumps if you can catch it early there's a chance. Look for hair growing out and back in to the skin and when you see it grab your tweezers and yank out the hair. There may be a little bleeding and pus then sanitize with rubbing alcohol or Bernadine or sterilize a pin and pop and drain then sterilize.

Comment from: sophie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had an abscess in the groin. I had it for over a year and doctors kept treating it with antibiotics until I couldn't stick out the pain anymore. I was sent up to hospital within 1 week and I was admitted. I had local antithetic to remove the abscess. It took 5 weeks to heal so hopefully that's it. I should have been removed long before this that was 7 weeks ago.

Comment from: 11yr old boy, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

My 11 year old son has one on his bottom the poor boy didn't tell me for a week he said he had a football injury, we rushed him to hospital one morning when he woke up crying in so much pain. They had to operate and it had become that big they couldn't pack it but had to stitch a tube in there to let it drain. They say it will be in for about a week. It's now day 3 in hospital and he is still in so much pain. Don't leave it until the last minute to get it checked out.

Goldstein, Beth G., and Adam O. Goldstein. "Overview of benign lesions of the skin." UpToDate.com. August 2018. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/overview-of-benign-lesions-of-the-skin?source=search_result&search=cyst&selectedTitle=1~150#H59809494>.

Ingram, John R. "Hidradenitis suppurativa: Pathogenesis, clinical features, and diagnosis." UpToDate.com. August 2018. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/pathogenesis-clinical-features-and-diagnosis-of-hidradenitis-suppurativa-acne-inversa?source=search_result&search=hidradenitis+suppurativa&selectedTitle=2~42>.