Viewer Comments: Abscess - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?

Comment from: kaylasmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I had an abscess my breast and I couldn't wear a bra. And it swelled so big that I couldn't touch it. I would scream out loud when something touched it and it has been two years since I had it taken out. The other day I had to go back to see my surgeon and believe it or not they had to open it back up because I had a cyst in it keeping it infected after two years of not knowing why it stayed infected all the time.

Comment from: K, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

Public toilets and staying in a wet bathing suit too long caused my abscess.

Comment from: GE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I sympathize with all of you guys and gals. I had a penile implant installed 3 years ago and 6 months later I had a groin infection. It was so bad that my doctor immediately scheduled me for surgery the same day I went in to his office. Altogether, I've had 5 surgeries, the first to install the implant, the second to disinfect the area, the third to change the implant, the fourth to remove the implant and the last was to disinfect again the area. I have been in so much pain and missed so much work that it is ridiculous. My last surgery was a few months ago, I've had a cyst/boil (whatever) twice since. I was lucky enough that the wound the doctor made was still deep enough for my infection to bust. The doctors tell me they don't know what is causing this. My nurse (who is wonderful) took a culture last week and it shows I have 3 different strains of bacterial infection. I hope all of you guys get some kind of relief from this. I wish I could give you all a better story.

Comment from: aprila, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My daughter, now 6, had many MRSA abscesses when she was a baby and a few of my other kids had some as well. She only ended up in the hospital for surgical drainage once and a couple of times in the ER for IV antibiotics. I learned how to drain them at home before they became too bad but she was on Clindamycin many times. We found that there are carriers of MRSA and you carry it in your nose so if you continually get them make sure you wash your hands frequently especially during a cold or runny nose. Also you can put an antibiotic cream in your nose to prevent spread of infection. Even though she has Autism we finally got my daughter out of diapers which stopped the big infections and we take good care of her skin.

Comment from: Bee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have an abscess on my left buttock cheek and it has been cut open by a doctor. He has given me antibiotics but it hasn't worked at all, it keeps filling with pus and it leaks sometimes. I have given up with the medical field. They tested me for HIV and I was negative, I do suffer with high blood pressure and I am on medication for that. It is ruining my life, I can't wear underwear anymore, and I haven't been for the past 8 months.

Comment from: Toy Setzer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I had an abscess in December 2016, on my head. My face got swollen up like an elephant man. I'm still having issues with other spots on my head, I don't know why.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Don't wait, please seek medical advice. Perianal abscesses will not heal by themselves, they get deeper, bigger and ultimately will cause a lot of suffering. My doctor ignored me for 2.5 weeks, kept giving me flucloxacillin which did not good whatsoever. Yes, they are embarrassing but that won't kill you, if left it is a whole lot more embarrassing getting the wound repacked and dressed each day for weeks. Please do seek medical advice. Emergency surgery is no fun, I am fastidious in my cleanliness, you're not to blame they happen.

Comment from: Pam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I've had recurrent abscesses since I was 15. I'm now 35. I've had more than 30 operations to have them drained. I've had them under my arm; on both legs; under my breast; on my groin, and on my bottom. Doctors don't know why, but when I'm stressed I get them. It's very draining and keeps me from holding down a job.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw, or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?

Abscess - Home Remedies

Please describe any home remedies that you tried for a skin abscess.