Achilles Tendon Rupture

What was the treatment for your Achilles tendon rupture? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was doing a simple yoga stretch and felt a pop in my ankle. I didn't feel pain right away, maybe 2 weeks later. I went in for a doctor's appointment and was told I had an Achilles tendon avulsion fracture. And then he said, I need surgery. My face dropped. I wasn't in any kind of pain that would warrant surgery. My foot was extended to the point that I couldn't put my foot in a shoe. I had no idea he was going to put screws and pins with a plate in my foot. It's been 1 month since surgery and it feels worse now than it did when I originally injured it. I can't perform yoga anymore due to this injury. The older you get, the harder it is for your body to heal. Be careful when exercising, like I said, I felt no pain for about 2 weeks. All the best to those in good health. I waited for 8 to 9 months before I went in for surgery. Be careful and know what kind of stretching and exercising you can perform for your age. Be well.

Comment from: Jumpin' Jimminy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

My story is similar to the 62 year old who is in good shape and exercises, but ruptured the Achilles tendon jumping rope with the grandkids. On July 27 this 68 year old was showing my grandson my old Mohammed Ali 'float like a butterfly, sting like a bee' jump rope routine when I heard the infamous 'pop'. I had 80% rupture of the right tendon. Surgery is scheduled for August 9. I am missing golf already but encouraged when I recently saw that someone played 9 holes 8 weeks after surgery! That will be my goal, and will tell my physical therapy (PT) guy (who used to work for the SF 49ers) to do what's necessary to help me meet it. I will listen and do everything I'm told by doctors and PT. I'm interested in any good recovery stories that can give me hope.

Comment from: Monica, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I'm a 41 year old female and ruptured my right Achilles 6 weeks ago playing volleyball. I work out 5-7 days a week, but hadn't played volleyball in 20 years. I was on my third game when it happened. I simply went up on my toes and looked behind me thinking that a ball hit me really hard in the ankle. When I couldn't walk normal I knew something was terribly wrong. My primary care physician told me to rest for 2 weeks and do physical therapy. Ha! I decided to have surgery since I'm relatively young and very active.

Comment from: Conor, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

I'm a 30 year old male and I ruptured my Achilles tendon 4 months ago playing a hurling match. I was also playing a lot of squash leading up to my injury. I think myself the mixture of both the field sport and court sport resulted in my injury. I had surgery within 3 days of the rupture and thankfully no cast was put in place just bandage. It's a long slow recovery but went for my first jog this evening. My advice to anyone who has had this injury is to insist on surgery rather than a cast and take your time recovering.

Comment from: Nick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I had a fall whilst mountain biking and fully ruptured my Achilles tendon. I had surgery a week later and have just had my cast off after six weeks. I am now in a boot. Months of physiotherapy are to follow and have been told I won't be able to do sports for at least another four months.

Comment from: Achilles Pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I suffered a complete Achilles rupture and had surgery after 3 days. I've been in cast for 7 weeks and one more surgery to go with no weight bearing until last 2 weeks. I'm 59 and I want to play tennis, but I was told not to participate in any contact sports for at least a year.

Comment from: meangreen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I ruptured my Achilles tendon 13 days ago in an over 50 age basketball league game. I am a 55-year-old teacher and used to be an avid runner. I have been playing for the past three years. I varied my warm up routine and believe that was the cause of my injury. Treatment was surgery five days after injury. I am in a splint now and will be re-evaluated in three days. My doctor said I will be able to start running again in three months, starting slowly of course.

Comment from: DaveM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I am 56 years old. I ruptured my Achilles tendon while playing tennis. I went the non-surgical route and I chose aggressive mobility. I was in a “walking cast.” I play golf three days after my tear, I walked normally, and I even helped a buddy move!

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I am a 62-year-old man. I'm still very active. I've trained for most of my life. I still work out four times per week and play golf twice per week. Two weeks ago, I completely tore my Achilles tendon when I was jumping rope with my grandkids. I had surgery two days after the tear. I wore a bandage for a week, and for the past week, I've been wearing a boot. I see a specialist in five more weeks.

Comment from: ryan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I ruptured my Achilles tendon 3 weeks ago playing basketball. I have played most of my life until about 2 years ago. I exercise regularly with weightlifting and cardio in the gym. This was the first time I played hoops in 2 years. I simply tried to make a quick cut and the pain was immediate. I looked behind me to see if someone on the sideline threw something at me for some reason. Then I realized I had just ruptured my achilles. I had surgery 3 days later, the pain that night of surgery was intense. I was then casted for 2 weeks. Now I am in a boot but still not weight bearing. I go back to the ortho in 2 weeks to get an update and hopefully schedule rehab. I am a 36 years old male.

Comment from: Terri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I ruptured my Achilles tendon eight weeks ago and have been in half-leg plaster.

Comment from: daytona, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I am a 57-year-old male. I ruptured my Achilles just getting into my car after watching an MLB game. It was the most painful thing I have experienced. I am debating whether to have surgery or to take the long casting route.

Comment from: bikeguy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a full rupture of the Achilles while skiing, and surgery four days later. It has been eight weeks to date since injury. Three weeks casted.

Comment from: Bob68, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I ruptured my achilles playing basketball. I had surgery three days later. Two weeks after that, I received a walking boot. It was nice to be able to shower and move my foot. I'm about five weeks out of surgery and not using crutches.

Comment from: Malik, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I'm a 49-year-old male. I had full rupture Achilles tendon. I had a surgery 10 days after getting injured. I had my foot in casting for 9 weeks. Now, I took off cast and walk regularly.

Comment from: Fire, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I ruptured my Achilles while at work, I am a firefighter and I work out in the gym regularly. My orthopedist wants to keep me immobilized rather than surgery.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I partially ruptured my Achilles tendon a week ago, falling backwards down some steps in Venice. Intense pain and shock convinced my wife to call for an ambulance. Ultrasound scan and diagnosis by orthopaedic specialist led to a decision to go the non-surgical route. So far I am spending time in bed interspersed with regular walks in the apartment on crutches, with the leg encased in a rigid splint.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I am a 34 year old female. I tore my Achilles tendon playing kickball with family. I had surgery within a week, cast for 8 weeks. Now that I'm out of the cast, I'm dealing with constant swelling. It's getting better every day. It's definitely a long healing process.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I am a 38 year old male, who after not playing rugby for 8 years, had my arm twisted to play. I train regularly in a gym, three to four times a week. I turned up to the first training session and joined in a game of touch rugby, and within 10 minutes I had ruptured my Achilles tendon! I am now in a cast and looking at 8-12 week recovery plan. My advice would be simple, as you get older, allow more time to stretch and warm up. 15-20 minutes stretching and warm up could have saved me 12 weeks recovery time!

Comment from: Jazzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

At the age of 52, I tore my Achilles tendon with my normal extensive workout schedule and needed surgery! A year later after surgery I'm still recovering back to my normal activities. What a long road to recovery!!!

Comment from: Mel427, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I ruptured my Achilles tendon four days ago in a basketball game. I am a 37-year-old PE teacher and an avid runner. Treatment was surgery. I am in a cast and will eventually move to a walking boot and eventually on to my own foot. My doctor said I will be able to start running again in 3 months, starting slowly of course. This will be hard, but I will follow all directives for proper healing.

Comment from: Dwight L. Bates, DPM, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I suffered an Achilles tendon rupture while playing handball at age 32 when I was a podiatry student. My injury was treated with a long leg cast and brace. I got an excellent result, but I have not played handball since. I jogged 5-7 days per week until about age 55. Arthritis of both feet made me stop running finally.

Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery

REFERENCE:

Klippel, J.H., et al. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. New York: Springer, 2008.