Viewer Comments: Achilles Tendon Rupture - Treatment

Exercise & Fitness: 7 Risky Exercises and Better Bets

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Achilles Tendon Rupture:

Achilles Tendon Rupture - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Achilles tendon rupture?

Comment from: Patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was doing a simple yoga stretch and felt a pop in my ankle. I didn't feel pain right away, maybe 2 weeks later. I went in for a doctor's appointment and was told I had an Achilles tendon avulsion fracture. And then he said, I need surgery. My face dropped. I wasn't in any kind of pain that would warrant surgery. My foot was extended to the point that I couldn't put my foot in a shoe. I had no idea he was going to put screws and pins with a plate in my foot. It's been 1 month since surgery and it feels worse now than it did when I originally injured it. I can't perform yoga anymore due to this injury. The older you get, the harder it is for your body to heal. Be careful when exercising, like I said, I felt no pain for about 2 weeks. All the best to those in good health. I waited for 8 to 9 months before I went in for surgery. Be careful and know what kind of stretching and exercising you can perform for your age. Be well.

Comment from: Jumpin' Jimminy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

My story is similar to the 62 year old who is in good shape and exercises, but ruptured the Achilles tendon jumping rope with the grandkids. On July 27 this 68 year old was showing my grandson my old Mohammed Ali 'float like a butterfly, sting like a bee' jump rope routine when I heard the infamous 'pop'. I had 80% rupture of the right tendon. Surgery is scheduled for August 9. I am missing golf already but encouraged when I recently saw that someone played 9 holes 8 weeks after surgery! That will be my goal, and will tell my physical therapy (PT) guy (who used to work for the SF 49ers) to do what's necessary to help me meet it. I will listen and do everything I'm told by doctors and PT. I'm interested in any good recovery stories that can give me hope.

Comment from: Monica, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I'm a 41 year old female and ruptured my right Achilles 6 weeks ago playing volleyball. I work out 5-7 days a week, but hadn't played volleyball in 20 years. I was on my third game when it happened. I simply went up on my toes and looked behind me thinking that a ball hit me really hard in the ankle. When I couldn't walk normal I knew something was terribly wrong. My primary care physician told me to rest for 2 weeks and do physical therapy. Ha! I decided to have surgery since I'm relatively young and very active.

Comment from: Conor, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

I'm a 30 year old male and I ruptured my Achilles tendon 4 months ago playing a hurling match. I was also playing a lot of squash leading up to my injury. I think myself the mixture of both the field sport and court sport resulted in my injury. I had surgery within 3 days of the rupture and thankfully no cast was put in place just bandage. It's a long slow recovery but went for my first jog this evening. My advice to anyone who has had this injury is to insist on surgery rather than a cast and take your time recovering.

Comment from: Nick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I had a fall whilst mountain biking and fully ruptured my Achilles tendon. I had surgery a week later and have just had my cast off after six weeks. I am now in a boot. Months of physiotherapy are to follow and have been told I won't be able to do sports for at least another four months.

Comment from: Achilles Pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I suffered a complete Achilles rupture and had surgery after 3 days. I've been in cast for 7 weeks and one more surgery to go with no weight bearing until last 2 weeks. I'm 59 and I want to play tennis, but I was told not to participate in any contact sports for at least a year.

Comment from: meangreen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I ruptured my Achilles tendon 13 days ago in an over 50 age basketball league game. I am a 55-year-old teacher and used to be an avid runner. I have been playing for the past three years. I varied my warm up routine and believe that was the cause of my injury. Treatment was surgery five days after injury. I am in a splint now and will be re-evaluated in three days. My doctor said I will be able to start running again in three months, starting slowly of course.

Comment from: DaveM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I am 56 years old. I ruptured my Achilles tendon while playing tennis. I went the non-surgical route and I chose aggressive mobility. I was in a “walking cast.” I play golf three days after my tear, I walked normally, and I even helped a buddy move!

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I am a 62-year-old man. I'm still very active. I've trained for most of my life. I still work out four times per week and play golf twice per week. Two weeks ago, I completely tore my Achilles tendon when I was jumping rope with my grandkids. I had surgery two days after the tear. I wore a bandage for a week, and for the past week, I've been wearing a boot. I see a specialist in five more weeks.

Must Read Articles Related to Achilles Tendon Rupture

Ruptured Tendon
Ruptured Tendon A tendon is the fibrous tissue that attaches muscle to bone in the human body. The forces applied to a tendon may be more than 5 times your body weight. Symptom...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Achilles Tendon Rupture: