Acid Reflux (GERD)

What were your GERD symptoms and signs? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: GemGirl52, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

My GERD and hiatal hernia symptoms never really bothered me that much until a few weeks ago. I thought I had the flu after a week of coughing, stuffy nose, etc. I took some Mucinex and got a severe allergic reaction (hard to breathe) and that's when my GERD and hiatal hernia symptoms seemed to take over. I went to the emergency room and got misdiagnosed with flu and asthma, not GERD and hiatal hernia. I was severely traumatized by the experience. I went to the primary care physician because I wasn't getting any relief and he put me on Nexium and Zoloft, because at this point I was having one panic attack after another and couldn't cope. Severe reactions to those drugs too! It's now been 5 weeks and I went back on my original PPI (proton pump inhibitor) Protonix, which works very well. I'm still having issues, have lost weight, had to go onto a GERD Diet because I'm still having that choking feeling in the throat, bloating and gas after I eat anything, and reflux at night. Anxiety is still there and, it feels like my left upper chest is being crushed; pain in the ribs and back and difficulty to breathe. This is typical hiatal hernia issues but, haven't been able to get to a doctor, have to wait another week. This really scares me, never had anything like this happen. Just want my hiatal hernia issues resolved and soon.

Comment from: GemGirl52, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

At the end of January, I was fighting the flu, which turned into pneumonia. My doctor prescribed a 10-day treatment of an antibiotic that I had taken before. In March, I got a second bout of pneumonia. This time, I was told to take the same antibiotic for 14 days. I still had fluid in my lungs. Finally, the doctor did a culture on the phlegm that I was coughing up. My medication was changed to a different antibiotic, which worked. Now, I had a different story. Taking too many antibiotics had wiped out my good bacteria as well as the bad. Now I was passing a clear slippery liquid rectally. Another culture was done; this time on the small amounts of bowel movement that I was passing. I was told to eat Activia yogurt and take probiotics. It's now July, and my appetite has finally returned. I still don't feel 100 percent better but am getting there!

Comment from: fariba, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

My GERD problem started after a severe cough for about two months. My doctor said it was due to an allergy which with some medications. My cough eventually went away but after that cough I had a strange problem at nights when I was asleep, like I couldn't swallow my saliva or like my throat was paralyzed. At first I was so scared and I panicked then I managed to try to swallow my saliva. It was so terrifying I went to the doctor and he said it's because of stress and depression. Then I started to feel something stuck in my throat constantly and clearing my throat. It's annoying especially when I eat food; I can feel the food stuck in my throat. My ENT doctor did laryngoscopy and said everything is ok. Then I had an endoscopy and I was diagnosed with GERD, but I don't have any acid burning feeling. Now I am taking omeprazole for two weeks but it hasn't help me. I also deal with anxiety and taking clonazepam and propranolol. These have helped me to be less worried and more relaxed because I was scared to death regarding my problem; I thought it was cancer. Anyway I still have problems and after eating food I burp a lot which is a new thing to me. I really don't know what to do and what kind of specialist can help me.

Comment from: Volly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have the following symptoms, possibly GERD. Pain in the lower part of my back, burning sensation in the stomach and back of my throat, feeling like I'm about to gag/vomit, regurgitating food, nausea, upset stomach, headaches, lightheadedness, dizziness, abnormal bowel movements, pain in the lower abdomen, and feeling of a lump in my throat. I have been to an ENT who does not think it is ENT related. A neurologist treats my headaches and has tried to treat my dizziness. An allergist has told me I am allergic to certain weeds, trees, and grass. My general doctor does not know what it is. I am at a loss right now because I have had these symptoms for almost a year. I have not found a direct correlation to these symptoms. I am on omeprazole, allergy medicine and headache medicine. I am a 25 year old female and wish I knew what was wrong with me.

Comment from: mae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I started experiencing lump in my throat and acid taste in my mouth. I also suspect I have halitosis besides GERD. I tried self-medicating by taking Antacil gel. I think this was aggravated when I took lemon with warm water first thing in the morning. I feel very bad because I need to speak in front of my students with my halitosis.

Comment from: MadJamison, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

In the last few days I have an acidy burning feeling in my stomach that goes all the way up to my throat. My stomach makes a lot of loud gurgling noises, I have diarrhea, and frequent hiccups. I've never experienced GERD before.

Comment from: Dodger, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed with acid reflex disease some time ago. I controlled it with an over the counter medicine, life was good. I just had a bout with diverticulitis. And now I am having a bad case of nausea all the time. An endoscopy was performed and the Doc put me on Raglan and the nausea still persists. I am wondering why my acid reflex condition has worsen since the diverticulitis. I have no heart burn or any other symptoms except nausea.

Comment from: Lizfan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

Once in a while, I will be lying down and all of a sudden I feel as though I'm choking on hot, acrid bile. I can barely get any air. I end up wheezing and I have to stand up and bend over and pound my chest to try to clear out the blockage. It doesn't happen right after I eat. I have no idea what causes this. It might be acid reflux but it happens so rarely so I'm not sure. Because it happens very rarely, I never think to tell my doctor about it.

Comment from: Nicci, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I had my gall bladder out two years ago and came home with GERD. I take Omeprazole when needed. Lately I have been having this pain start in my back and wrap around my stomach.

Comment from: Barbara, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Alka Seltzer works well, as my heart doctor told me. If I wake at night with it I take a extra strength Alka Seltzer.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I was diagnosed with GERD about 2 months ago. My symptoms included heart burn that would disrupt sleep, feeling something stuck in my throat and frequent burping after meals. My doctor told me to stay away from spicy, greasy and caffeinated food. I obliged. Additionally, I started eating smaller portions of less greasy, unfried food, more yogurt and frequent yogurt drinks throughout the day, as well as earlier dinners. I started sleeping on two pillows, and took a supplement called Pancreatin. It took about two weeks but all my symptoms started to diminish. I got tested and was diagnosed to have H-pylori bacteria.

Comment from: ashley p, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I started belching first then losing weight fast. I wouldn't eat for days. I've been dealing with GERD for about eight years now.

Comment from: Alison, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have been in and out of hospital with chest pain I was given aspirin and ibuprofen which aggravated my reflux. I'm suffering now with intense pain across my back and breathlessness as I have had mega tests for heart problems. It is the GERD annoying me.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have acid reflux disease for 1.5 yrs. I take Zantac and Protonix. I have a lot of mucus in my throat. I use an inhaler twice daily to help control the mucus and I take Allegra D. I keep having bouts of feeling like something is stuck in my throat. In the morning I have gurgling in my throat. I don't want to take these meds the rest of my life but everything time I try to cut back I get sick. I have not experienced vomiting & my esophagus is not damaged. I avoid all foods that you are supposed to.

Comment from: GettingOldIsNotFun, 55-64 Female Published: October 09

I started having symptoms December of 2011 and tried over the counter drugs (Zantac and Prilosec) and neither worked. I saw my doctor and was put on Nexium, which has worked well until recently. I had an endoscopy done and nothing was found. An hour after I finish eating, I feel like something is stuck in my throat. I have some belching and some belching with a sour liquid back-up. I sleep with my head raised and watch my diet, avoiding foods that attract it. I just learned that Advil can bring it on and I have been taking that regularly, so I guess I'll drop that. I heard that green tea is very helpful and I'm going to give that a try.

Comment from: kayla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have been diagnosed with acid reflux 3 years ago. I get at tight feeling in my throat, as if there is a lump there sometimes. I have pain in the back of my neck. I also have belching, stomach pain, nausea and a burning feeling in my esophagus. This time I also have pain in my right shoulder blade and across my back. I have always loved food and now I'm scared of it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have probably had this for about 25 yrs since college (or maybe my whole life?). I used to vomit up food soon after eating, my stomach burned and I had a feeling of something stuck in my throat all the time. My doc at the time thought it was college stress but it finally got better after about a year on Pepcid. I've been on Pepcid off and on all those years for similar symptoms.

Comment from: terri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I have a nasty burning taste in mouth resulting in sore throat and sore inside ears.

Comment from: Rehab, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My GERD symptoms were a dry, irritant cough during first trimester of my 1st pregnancy followed by vomiting. I would occur at any time of the day. I never had heart burn, but there is usually a strange taste in my mouth.

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

My doctor diagnosed my problem as GERD. My main problem is not so much heartburn but pressure when lying down mainly on my side. I also get a nasty taste in my mouth due to reflux. This happens most nights, but some nights are worse than others. I have found that not eating certain foods helpful as is not eating late in the day.

Comment from: Jrkepp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had GERD for probably 15 years. I have had good results with Prilosec for quite a few years. Then a couple years ago I started feeling like there was phlegm stuck in my throat with constant clearing and no results. I went to see an allergist thinking it may be allergies or postnasal drip. Sinuses perfectly clear. Started taking double dose of omeprazole, no result. I went back to the GI doc and had an endoscopy which was pretty normal. He prescribed Dexilant which hasn't helped and caused diarrhea. Went back to omeprazole 1x a day but still no relief from the throat clearing. Just started Aciphex. If that doesn't work may have to do the Bravo meter. It is very frustrating.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I developed severe acid reflux at the end of my second pregnancy. I developed a chronic cough that was initially diagnosed as bronchitis but when I developed severe respiratory problems that sent me to the ER I sought a second opinion and was diagosed with severe acid reflux. Since getting it under control I was also diagnosed with asthma and was hospitalized for severe pneumonia. If I don't take my medication (Zantac) faithfully I start coughing, wheezing and having throat tightness. I also have had a few episodes of regurgitation but mostly my reflux seems to manifest itself as respiratory symptoms and throat tightness but no heartburn.

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

NIH. Digestive Diseases Statistics for the United States. Nov 2014.
<https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/digestive-diseases>

Patti, MG, MD. "Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease." Medscape. Updated: Oct 17, 2017.
<https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/176595-overview>