Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma

What were your symptoms of acute-angle-closure glaucoma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: elyhur, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 19

I went to the eye doctor just to have my prescription checked before ordering new glasses occasioned by my daughter's new puppy chewing my glasses, and was diagnosed with acute angle closure glaucoma. I experienced had absolutely no symptoms which is why I am adding my post to this blog to encourage everyone to get periodic eye exams with or without symptoms. Unfortunately this post will probably only been seen by people who have already experienced some vision issues.

Comment from: panther creek, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

In previous visit to my ophthalmologist, intraocular pressure (IOP) was normal. Three months later for follow up of dry eye/blepharitis, IOP was significantly elevated in both eyes, the left much higher, leading to ultrasound which revealed almost complete closure of left duct and partial closure of right. I had no symptoms of acute-angle-closure glaucoma as outlined in this article. Forty-eight hours later I had laser treatment of left eye and I am scheduled for the right one in 1 week.

Comment from: cannotwait, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

For three months I had been having very bad headaches and worsened when any pressure was physically applied or I was bending down. It hurts to cough and sneeze. I had a blood test done to rule out inflamed arteries and also a CT scan to rule out a tumor, it ruled out all of the above. I went the next step and had my eyes tested and I have acute angular glaucoma. I am now waiting for a specialist to get me in and relieve the pressure on my eye. I am so fed up with the wait and it is so hurting all the time. I have called several times to get an answer to when I can get in and I keep getting told three to five weeks!

Comment from: metoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

For one week I experienced pain, pressure, light sensitivity and a blood spot. Then my vision suddenly went very blurry, pain increased, and pressure intensified. I went to look in mirror see what I could see. I saw bright red blood which appeared to be pooling in inside corners of both eyes plus bloodshot whites and my eyes were filled with fluid. I decided to go to walk in clinic. My eye exam led to emergency visit to eye surgeon who made diagnosis: narrow angle glaucoma. The doctor got me on steroid drops 4 times daily and booked me for a laser peripheral iridotomy. My symptoms are now manageable with drops, affecting primarily one eye. The blood spot still there and there is also swelling and light sensitivity that causes pain. I also have lupus, but I don't think there is a connection.

• Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma - Treatment

Please describe the treatment you received for acute angle-closure glaucoma.

Post

REFERENCE:

Weinreb, Robert N., Tin Aung, and Felipe A. Medeiros. "The Pathophysiology and Treatment of Glaucoma: A Review." JAMA 311.18 May 14, 2014: 1901-1911.