Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma

What were your symptoms of acute-angle-closure glaucoma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Vanessa , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I was lying down in bed and started to have what felt like a migraine. But, this migraine was different, it was on one side of my face and head. I knew something was wrong! I went to the urgent care and they ignored me, drugged me up for a migraine and sent me home. I slept for a couple hours and woke up in pain. I started to have so much pain I had to keep my head down and I went to the emergency room (ER) this time. They ignored the eye and did an MRI and sent me home drugged with a migraine medicine. I slept through the night and woke up still in pain and by this time I was crying and nauseous. I went to an eye doctor and he asked three questions and knew what I had was acute-angle-closure glaucoma. He started putting drops in but it was so bad my pressure would not go down. He sent me with a long letter to give to the ER and they did not know how to help me since morphine didn't help the pain. They ambulanced me to the university hospital where I stayed for days on an IV with no food, and unable to sit up without being sick to my stomach. Finally, two days before Christmas I received a shunt in my eye to relieve the pressure. I already was blind in my eye and have a very small pupil from cataract surgery as a child. I was an extremely rare and hard case. The doctors could not explain why I had the attack. I was nauseous for weeks after the surgery. Now, 4 years after I still have sharp pain in my eyes. Now I am getting tested for a neurological disorder. I am curious if they are related. I am a 30 year old female and was 25 at the time of my attack.

Comment from: elyhur, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 19

I went to the eye doctor just to have my prescription checked before ordering new glasses occasioned by my daughter's new puppy chewing my glasses, and was diagnosed with acute angle closure glaucoma. I experienced had absolutely no symptoms which is why I am adding my post to this blog to encourage everyone to get periodic eye exams with or without symptoms. Unfortunately this post will probably only been seen by people who have already experienced some vision issues.

Comment from: panther creek, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

In previous visit to my ophthalmologist, intraocular pressure (IOP) was normal. Three months later for follow up of dry eye/blepharitis, IOP was significantly elevated in both eyes, the left much higher, leading to ultrasound which revealed almost complete closure of left duct and partial closure of right. I had no symptoms of acute-angle-closure glaucoma as outlined in this article. Forty-eight hours later I had laser treatment of left eye and I am scheduled for the right one in 1 week.

Comment from: cannotwait, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

For three months I had been having very bad headaches and worsened when any pressure was physically applied or I was bending down. It hurts to cough and sneeze. I had a blood test done to rule out inflamed arteries and also a CT scan to rule out a tumor, it ruled out all of the above. I went the next step and had my eyes tested and I have acute angular glaucoma. I am now waiting for a specialist to get me in and relieve the pressure on my eye. I am so fed up with the wait and it is so hurting all the time. I have called several times to get an answer to when I can get in and I keep getting told three to five weeks!

Comment from: metoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

For one week I experienced pain, pressure, light sensitivity and a blood spot. Then my vision suddenly went very blurry, pain increased, and pressure intensified. I went to look in mirror see what I could see. I saw bright red blood which appeared to be pooling in inside corners of both eyes plus bloodshot whites and my eyes were filled with fluid. I decided to go to walk in clinic. My eye exam led to emergency visit to eye surgeon who made diagnosis: narrow angle glaucoma. The doctor got me on steroid drops 4 times daily and booked me for a laser peripheral iridotomy. My symptoms are now manageable with drops, affecting primarily one eye. The blood spot still there and there is also swelling and light sensitivity that causes pain. I also have lupus, but I don't think there is a connection.

REFERENCE:

Weinreb, Robert N., Tin Aung, and Felipe A. Medeiros. "The Pathophysiology and Treatment of Glaucoma: A Review." JAMA 311.18 May 14, 2014: 1901-1911.