Acute Kidney Failure

What has your experience with acute kidney failure been like? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mberneathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

Twelve years ago, both my kidneys failed because of the medications the doctor had me on. The hospital I went to was able to pull me through without dialyses. Now 12 years later, my doctor told me that my levels are down to 39 (whatever that means), and it was 41 last month, so now I get to go to a kidney specialist. I have a lot of very bad things wrong, the worst being rheumatoid arthritis and trying to stay out of a wheel cheer, but I will tell you the truth, this scares me.

Medically reviewed by Michael Wolff, MD; American Board of Urology

"Bumex." RxList. Updated Mar. 20, 2012.

"Kayexalate." RxList. 15 May 2012.

"Lasix." RxList. Updated Apr 11, 2012.

"Medications." WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise. Updated Aug 6, 2009.

"Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)." Updated May 7, 2008.

Agrawal, Malay and Richard Swartz. "Acute renal failure." American Family Physician 61.7 (2000): 2077-2088.

Kathuria, Pranay and Melissa Conrad Stöppler. "Chronic Kidney Disease." eMedicineHealth. 23 Feb. 2010.

Workeneh, Biruh H., et al. "Acute Renal Failure." Medscape. 9 Feb. 2012.

Previous contributing authors and editors: Author: Rebecca J Schmidt, DO, FACP, Section Chief, Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Section of Nephrology, West Virginia University School of Medicine and Medical Center. Coauthor(s): Robert C Harwood, MD, MPH, Program Director, Chair, Department of Emergency Medicine, Christ Hospital and Medical Center; Assistant Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago Medical School. Editors: Bradley Fields Schwartz, DO, FACS, Director, Center for Urologic Laparoscopy and Endourology, Associate Professor of Urology, Department of Surgery, Southern Illinois University; Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD, Senior Pharmacy Editor, eMedicine; Martin I Resnick, MD, Lester Persky Professor and Chair, Department of Urology; Professor, Department of Oncology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine.