Viewer Comments: Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

What were the symptoms of your adhesions? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: BizzySuzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had pilonidal surgery (2 years ago) to remove large non-draining cyst to relieve tailbone pain. Site healed well, but I was never able to sit back on tailbone. Subsequently I was diagnosed with a tailbone that curls too far under, pudendal neuralgia, trochanteric bursitis, and now pelvic floor prolapse in the last couple of months. There is also a bony spicule right in the same area. MRIs, CT scans, x-rays all show nothing abnormal. I have been on pain relievers for 2 years, have had 12 pelvic floor physiotherapy treatments, plus needling into the scar tissue (adhesions), which provide a little relief.

Comment from: kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

In 1977 I had gallbladder surgery where they cut me straight down the middle. Around 2000 I started getting severe pain in abdomen that wouldn't let up. I went to the emergency room and was told I had small bowel obstruction. They basically just pumped me full of fluids by IV and did x-rays every day. About every six months since then I get obstructions. I had surgery in 2008 to remove 10 inches of my colon due to diverticulosis and surgeon said I was full of adhesions that made the surgery difficult. He put his hand in my abdomen and tried to break some of them loose. I didn't have any problems until 2012 and was back in the hospital again with bowel obstruction. The pain is horrible. My chiropractor uses an infra-red laser on my abdomen to help loosen up the adhesions. It is like an ultrasound and it works. He keeps me out of the hospital. He also has me on a homeopathic medicine called ScarCure for scars and adhesions. I spray it in my mouth 3 times a day. I don't know if it works yet, I just started using it this week.

Comment from: kellysfriends, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had double knee replacement, with 2 doctors working on each knee at the same time, in at 7 out by 10, up and walking by 11. The next day they start bending your knees in physiotherapy. I was in more pain than anyone else, screaming in pain. I asked the doctor for the machine that keeps the knee in motion and he said they don't get that much results from it. I kept asking for it because every little advance I got in morning physiotherapy I would have to start all over again by the time of my afternoon therapy. At my 6 week checkup he found I had adhesions in both knees. He scheduled me for a manipulation on a Thursday (6 weeks wasted and tremendous pain), but he only did one knee and a little on the other. I went straight to physiotherapy, but they didn't have room to see me on Friday and was closed on Saturday and Sunday, and the adhesions came right back. It has now been 5 months since surgery and 4 months since the manipulation and I'm still unable to walk without pain medication. I was very active and traveled a lot before, but had pain and knew it would only get worse because my knees were bone on bone, but it wasn't this bad and didn't hurt all the time. I don't regret having this done because I knew I had to have it and I thought the younger I am (70) the better I'd heal. I'm just very disappointed in the doctors for not seeing me sooner, realizing some people will develop adhesions, and listen to the patient; he could have put me on the machine I asked for time and time again. Every time the nurse asked him for it he said no. I have an appointment next week and I have asked for the other doctor that did the other knee.

Comment from: Weezer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

At the age of 43 I had a total hysterectomy and then at 63 I had to have a laparoscopic sling and bowel repair. The surgeon said he had to cut away a lot of adhesions. I had some pain in my 50s but nothing like now. If I eat even a small amount and sit down my stomach bloats up like I'm 6 months pregnant. It's miserable, I have lots of gas and usually a headache. I can't sit at all or bend for any reason without it hurting. It feels like I am going to explode. I can't even wear my jeans anymore even with no weight gain. I wonder if this could be caused by adhesions.

Comment from: sheeta, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

After caesarian I got abdominal pain after 1.5 year followed by urine infection and ovarian cyst. So laparoscopy was done in March 2013. At that time appendix and adhesions between uterus and abdominal wall were removed. Now just 10 days back during my period, I vomited. From that I got abdominal pain and it continues still. Now doctor says again adhesions may have formed and I have to consult surgeon. I don't want to go under any surgery again.

Comment from: Amanda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had hysterectomy over 20 years ago. Past few years lower belly or stomach has been painful. I am wondering if I have scar tissue or adhesions inside and it should be taken out.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions - Experience

Please describe your experience with your adhesions after surgery.