Adhesions

What were the symptoms and signs of your adhesions? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gary , 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I had two AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm) surgeries, and the last one was an open surgery across the abdomen. I have severe pains in my side from the muscles being cut and adhesions. My stomach feels tight and sore daily. I have lost weight and walk daily. At times I can’t even bend to put on my socks or shoes.

Comment from: Malinda , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I had constant abdominal and back pain. I went in to have a hysterectomy 24 years ago and found out all my insides have grown together. I was told by many specialists to live with the adhesions as long as I could, because of the seriousness. Now, because of the pain and the fact it is so debilitating I'm going to have the surgery. I can't live this way anymore. I have no life because of it.

Comment from: Db, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had my first bowel surgery in 1985. Bowel would not work, and I had a second surgery in 1986, J-Pouch. I had blocked bowels, and pain all the time, so in 1993 I had a 5 hour surgery to remove adhesions. Still had blocked bowels needing hospitalization a few times per year. Then in 2005 I had a large gastrointestinal bleed, 2 liters. Now, I bleed from time to time, but no more blocked bowels. In 2016, I had pain while walking. Now I can walk only a few meters, in pain. My general physician doesn't know why.

Comment from: Jm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have passed lots of kidney stones, so this pain I'm having in right side feels like stones. I had the kind that does not show up in x-rays, CT, and MRIs. I've had back surgery so the doctors are saying this pain now is scar tissue/adhesions and arthritis. The pain is so bad it pulls me over to the side and I just have to go to bed, it's like the worse catch you've ever had and won't go away. My pain doctor has burnt the nerves twice but nothing helps.

Comment from: Victor , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

Years after lumbar sympathectomy I now experience pain from abdominal adhesions. They are now more frequent and even more painful than before. Not getting any better, not even after laparoscopy to cut them off years ago.

Comment from: Vincent, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I had my colon removed in 2009. I went to see the doctor because blood and mucus were coming out of me. I was in the toilet most of the days because I had the feeling that I needed to go to the toilet, but only to pass blood and mucus. I was sent to the hospital for screening of my colon and they found that my colon was covered in 1000s of polyps which were turning bad after the operation. I had blood test done and they came back positive for FAP (familial adenomatous polyposis) bowel disease and high risk for cancer. It is 10 years on and I am still here.

Comment from: Paulette, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

It’s been 12 weeks since I had a hysterectomy and my abdomen and stomach hurt. It feels really swollen and feels like it’s going to explode. I have been lifting a lot because I live alone and have to take care my mother. Wondering if it is because of adhesions.

Comment from: Juliet, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

She always complains of stomach aches and pains making her restless and uncomfortable. She has loss of appetite and sometimes pepperish sensation in the stomach. Wonder if it is because of adhesions.

Comment from: Butters , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

Two weeks ago I had an operation to remove a 45 x 65 cyst that was on my right ovary. I went to the doctor, he opened to remove it, and he found that my intestines, uterus and bladder were stuck together. He removed them and I'm still feeling a lot of pain as if I am having contractions, but what is worse is on the left side where the incisions are I have an intense burning pain. I am also bleeding very heavily. I am worried if this is normal because the pain is unbearable. I don't know what to do anymore.

Comment from: SickVick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

In 2000 I had vertical open surgery to remove a 5 lb. mesenteric abdominal cyst, followed by another surgery in the same spot to implant Marlex mesh for incisional hernias. I was ill again in 2009, undiagnosed. In 2013 I was full of adhesions when I had a surgery for Nissen fundoplication. It took 2.5 hours to remove adhesions. In 2015 Toupet fundoplication, also 2.5 hours taking down adhesions. I am still ill, can’t eat. I weigh 105. I have positional pains as well as early and late dumping syndrome. Blame mesh and adhesions for my misery.

QUESTION

Emotional trauma is best described as a psychological response to a deeply distressing or life-threatening experience. See Answer
Comment from: Dcal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am a 32 year old guy only just being told, after living 29 years with an ostomy/stoma scar, that adhesions happen. I have complained to doctors, my parents and my sister who was unfortunately born with the same complications as myself (Hirschsprung’s disease), about abdominal tightness in my scar up to and around my chest. But everyone just said to drink more water and that I was dehydrated. My sister just had her fallopian tubes removed because of the chemical/physical reactions to the scar tissue. Wonder if I should see a doctor.

Comment from: jcaudle2009, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I am not sure if it is adhesions that I have but April 18th I had partial hysterectomy, and had my uterus and tubes taken out. It’s been 4 months, and I've had abdominal pain and lower back pain since then. I've had an ultrasound done but they said they couldn't find anything. Wonder if I should get a CAT scan or MRI done. Not sure if that would show more than an ultrasound would. I just need this pain to go away.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I had gallbladder keyhole surgery about 15 years ago and l have an egg shaped bulge sticking out of the right side of my stomach. I've seen other people's scars and they look normal, so I am worried I have adhesions.

Comment from: Joy, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: August 27

After multiple surgeries, including a Nissen fundoplication, hysterectomy and 4 adhesion removals, I am in a lot of pain, not allowed to swim, stretch or lift, and the only help is further painkillers. Surgeon told me I have adhesions attached to every major organ and they bleed if cut or overstretched. I had to wait 3 months for an urgent gall bladder surgery as surgeon knew it would be so difficult due to adhesions. Not a lot I can do.

Comment from: Martha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I am a 63 years old female. I had laparotomy in 1985. Then I had an ectopic pregnancy. When I was 40 years old I had a hysterectomy because of the large cysts I had outside my uterus which were also operated on. I think I had four operation on the same scar. Now I am living in so much pain because of the scar tissue and adhesions. It makes my whole right side painful and numb. I always get a headache on my right side because the scar tissue is growing on the right side of my pelvic area. No doctor wants to listen.

Comment from: Vicky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago now and am still in lots of pain from adhesions. They put it down to arthritis in my rib cage. It should go, in 2018 I am still in pain, so I told the doctor. She said it’s all in my head. I have 2 kids so I never go to the hospital with pain as I don’t like to leave them, so I demanded to see another doctor who sent me for blood test which came back high with white blood cells and lots of inflammation for which I should have been in the hospital. The worst thing I ever did was to get my gallbladder removed.

Comment from: Boymom4, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

After my fourth C-section I began having intense abdominal pain. Some days I couldn't move because the pain was so sharp and intense; it was sensitive to the touch. Pain occurred during ovulation, menstruation, and sometimes for no apparent reason at all. I had bouts of unexplainable bloating, constipation, and nausea. During exploratory surgery my obstetrician found extensive adhesions, with my left ovary and fallopian tube plastered to my pelvic wall and bowel; badly damaged. They were removed.

Comment from: Rkaye45, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My pain didn't start till a few weeks after having major back surgery. Some days I feel like I'm being squeezed so hard I can hardly breathe, like getting a bear hug. The other times it is a severe sharp pain like being stabbed. I feel like something is in my side that's not supposed to be there, I think they are adhesions from the surgery. My side looks deformed like if I'm pregnant in my side. The pain is debilitating. I can't get out of bed most days. I don't have any quality of life.

Comment from: KRISHNIE , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have had a failed hysterectomy due to my uterus and intestines being tangled and frozen on my pelvic wall. It's almost 3 months now. I'm having sharp poking pains whenever I get up from bed or sitting. The pains are on either ends and sometimes on the entire cut area. I'm very stressed and blood sugar always high after my post operation. A 2nd surgery is still being discussed.

SLIDESHOW

8 First Aid Kit Essentials for Scrapes, Cuts, Bug Bites, and More in Pictures See Slideshow
Comment from: Sardvo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had a total hysterectomy 34 years ago. Today my doctor is telling me my constant pelvic ache, front to back and side to side which sometimes causes the tops of my legs to ache, is being caused by adhesions and/or scar tissue. Thirty-four years later! I don't think so.

Comment from: ZQUEEN , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

After having 3 C-sections I was fine, no problems during or after. Ten years after my last C-section I started having these sharp stabbing pains to my lower right abdomen just where my C-section ends, but only when I was starting to menstruate and during my ovulation period. I can feel it hard like a rock and very painful that it goes to the back. Medication doesn't work. I had a CT scan and was told it was adhesion from scar tissue. My gynecologist wants to remove my uterus as this pain happens only during those times.

Comment from: Wee bella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had my gall bladder removed 34 years ago at the age of 24. Since then I have had severe pain and bad swelling in my stomach. I have a massive scar on my stomach because there were complications with my operation. My gallbladder was swollen and stuck to my rib cage so they had to stretch my rib to get it out. I now receive Botox injected into my stomach through a tube down my throat. I still have severe abdomen pain and have bile very often because of adhesions.

Comment from: Snail, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a hernia surgery where my stomach lining was removed due to there being pretty much nothing left of it. They used my oblique muscles and crisscrossed them along with mesh. I had my gall bladder removed about a year later and another small hernia in 2 years. My stomach feels like it is being wrapped so tight with a rubber band and hurts every minute of my life. I was told it was adhesions and scar tissue and to live with it. I can't!

Comment from: Stefanie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I had my first C-section in 2001 when I was 19 years old. My recovery was actually better and quicker than expected. I had very little pain that by second week I didn't even need my pain medicines anymore. In 2005 when I was 23 years old I had my second C-section. The recovery was a bit more painful and longer that time. It took a few weeks before I could stand up straight without that painful, pulling feeling around my incision. For the next year and a half I kept having sharp, stabbing pains in and to the sides of my incision area, it hurt just to urinate because of having to use the muscles where the adhesions were, and sex was no longer an option because it was just too painful. In 2007, a year and a half after my second C-section I ended up having laparoscopic surgery to have some adhesions removed and separate my uterus that was bound to my abdominal wall just on the left side of my incision and separate my bladder and uterus that were bound together too. The surgery was successful! Not 100 percent but I would say at least 90 percent. I didn't have any more pulling or stabbing pains. Unfortunately I do have them again but they're from my 3rd C-section that I had in 2009, 2 1/2 years after the surgery. The recovery from my 3rd one was absolutely painful! It was about 4 months before I could stand up straight and no longer feel pain. I will be having surgery in a couple months to have the adhesions removed again. I know the surgery can cause more scar tissue but it will be a lot less than what I currently have.

Comment from: Appendix 2 laps, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 04

My symptoms of adhesions are weight loss of 15 lb. over months, loss of appetite, constipation relieved with Linzess laxative, abdominal dissension, and acute episodic pain.

Comment from: Taralya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had an auto accident when I was 20 years old. I had a splenectomy. The surgeon left 8 pieces of rotting infected spleen inside me. It was on my abdomen, uterus, and appendix. When they removed the pieces of spleen, they also took my appendix because the adhesions were so bad that they didn’t want to chance having to take my appendix in the future. I’m in pain most of the time. I have these episodes that are so painful I would rather die. They last from 6 hours to 3 days. Pain medications don’t help much at all, and I’m on the strongest. I have adhesions wrapped so tightly around my pancreas that has caused chronic pancreatitis with pancreatic insufficiency. It’s all from adhesions. My adhesions are so bad they show on a sonogram. The extreme pain is right under my diaphragm. It feels like it is twisted. The pain comes out my shoulders and back. I vomit, and usually run some fever.

Comment from: Possum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had my large bowel and rectum removed because of severe ulcerative colitis. I’ve since had most of my small intestine removed due to adhesions. I’ve had to have many abdominal surgeries mostly because of damage caused during my initial surgery in 1983. Around 6 years ago I had a more severe obstruction than most and required lifesaving surgery. The obstruction was caused because adhesions had rotated my bowel by 270 degrees, thus causing a complete obstruction. I’ve had many surgeries (around 130, although not all for bowel problems) and have been diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. Four years ago I had feces leaking out of a fistula that had made its way to the surface of my stomach. I lost 20 foot of small bowel after that surgery and haven’t been able to eat for 30 months. I’m on a diet of hospital formula and Hydralyte; nothing else or I have obstructions. I have obstructions due to a stomal hernia which pinches off my bowel, as well as adhesions; mostly adhesions. I have an average of 2 to 3 obstructions a month, around 2 put me in hospital each year. I’ve suffered from abdominal adhesions and associated obstructions for over 35 years now. I rarely go to the hospital as I now have a hospital phobia. I live in constant pain, a large part due to the damage the adhesions cause. Four years ago I wanted to apply for euthanasia in Switzerland but couldn’t get past the first hurdle of being of sound mind to make my own medical decisions. The psychiatrist wouldn’t give it to me for the process of euthanasia even though I was of sound mind. Living with adhesions causing almost constant obstructions is painful and it’s hard to cope with the problems the adhesions cause.

Comment from: Lois, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. Over the last six months, I have had a stitch type pain on my right side. I am feeling very bloated, and using the toilet a lot more, it's more uncomfortable than painful. It's constantly there, but feels worse when I’ve had a busy day. I've been told it is scar tissue, and have to live with the adhesions! Though I have been referred to a urinary clinic to check my bladder out. I have to wear pads everyday due to dampness in my knickers, can't believe there’s nothing that can be done! I had to have a hysterectomy, and now this. I know it's not life threatening, but it's so very uncomfortable. I was told it will come and go.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I've had two major back surgeries for my scoliosis. It's just over two years since the second surgery and I am in so much pain. I have been from one doctor to another trying to find out why I am in so much pain. No one can see my pain. I walk fine, look fine but I am in agony. I have finally figured out (from my own research and deductions) that my scar tissue has formed adhesions. I'm not a medical professional so I'm not sure how to describe it, but I believe the adhesions have attached to my ribs, my spine and my metal rods and screws. It feels as if there is a huge web surrounding my spine and squeezing in ever so tightly. I am now getting some partial relief through myofascial release massage therapy. It is expensive and insurance so far, isn't covering it. I am fighting hard to get through this and get back to a normal life; one where I am not in agony constantly. I don't understand why the doctors don't realize this problem for so many people. My two surgeries left me with (each time) a 17 inch scar down my back. Scar tissue, when not treated with proper therapy right away is just terrible. I hope anyone out there having such major surgery would know that the scar must be massaged professionally after some healing.

Comment from: Jennifer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had three bowel operations in 20 years, one was to remove a mesh which perforated my sigmoid colon. I had a temporary colostomy, reversed 15 years ago. Now I have severe constipation and a colonoscopy revealed that my colon turns back on itself and I believe it is due to adhesions. One surgeon I approached said he would be afraid of doing more damage if he looked laparoscopically. The gastroenterologist agrees that it could be due to adhesions. I use enemas every couple of days to empty my bowel but I really want to get some solution. However I live in dread of another colostomy.

Comment from: Mamaw15, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had several abdominal surgeries since 1992, a complete hysterectomy with a bikini cut, an appendectomy, an aorta bifemoral bypass, and surgery for an abscess near my appendix scar and above my right femoral artery bypass. I developed a pouch between my appendix scar and my abscess surgery scar. It is not a hernia but hardens when I have to have a bowel movement and then I have severe pain on my right side all the way to my lower pelvis. I am going to my gastroenterologist today to see if this pain is from adhesions. The pain is as severe as childbirth labor pains.

Comment from: jULIE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I have had severe cystitis 13 years ago, and I had been having pinpoint bleeding. I have been misdiagnosed for ten years. My bladder is very scarred down. I was hoping to see images and notes on adhesions. It is very hard to find support information even now on my chronic condition. I just had my second bladder biopsy yesterday. I have been bleeding quite a bit and don’t feel well, like the last time 10 years ago. I went home on a catheter bag so I have been able to see the bleeding from the clots. I don’t see the doctor for two days.

Comment from: Gward, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 07

The patient has had multiple abdominal surgeries in the past. Three months ago he started having severe nausea and stabbing pain in the abdomen. Started to lose weight and couldn't eat. Stayed full constantly. In the early days he was in and out of the hospital having every gastrointestinal (GI) test known; endoscopy, upper and lower GI scan, MRI, CT, pill camera. Stomach doesn't empty as there is a constriction below it. Tests are all negative. Pill camera got stuck at the occlusion. The intense pain is right over an area that has had 4 abdominal surgeries prior. After 3 months, loss of over 40 lb, and straight 45 days in the hospital, the determination was to have a permanent feeding tube inserted and attached to a pump for nutrients until he has gained enough weight for surgery for the adhesions.

Comment from: Denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had an incisional hernia and small umbilical hernia that was connected and mesh put over both, 15x20 oval piece of Physiomesh. This was from an old surgery of a bifemoral bypass in 2002, and this surgery was in 2010. The mesh hurt as soon as it went in, but I was sent home and had fever for 4 days. In less than 2 weeks the mesh and everything that touched it had to be removed, my abdominal muscles, bellybutton, skin. I had a football sized hole that took 7 months with VAC unit to heal. My adhesions have gotten so bad that in 2015 I ended up in the hospital with an NG (nasogastric) tube in my nose going to my intestines, and had major bowel obstruction. I was never told that I could have died but it took 7 days of not eating and being on that VAC unit with x-rays every day. No surgeon wanted to get in there because of what the mesh did, I was claimed by doctors of 'being to blame for getting the mesh out.'

Comment from: Alive, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I was born with exstrophy of the bladder and associated anomalies (midline defect). The first five years of life was dealing with a primary closure process with extensive surgeries. From through 11 years of age an attempt was made to create normal physiology during which time it was observed that one ureter was longer than the other and surgery was performed to shorten it and connect to the 2nd one creating a 'Y' with only one going directly into the bladder. This and additional other tissue were set aside in the abdominal cavity for future re-creative development. It was that tissue that actually created additional internal problems as it created major adhesions to the small intestine causing digestive problems over the years. At the age 15 years, having developing major nephritis, the 15 years of constructive surgery was disconnected and an ileal conduit was created. At age 17 years I developed bacterial kidney stones which involved 81 days in the hospital going into each kidney twice and rebuilding ileal conduit. Result was having 5 surgeries in 4 1/2 months. From that point on kidney function declined, which resulted in a kidney transplant. From September to December 2000 I had both kidneys removed, one in October and one in November. Then I had dialysis for 10 weeks, and then transplant in December, ten hours on the operating table. Over all over 88 surgeries. Cumulative surgeries resulted in adhesions and chronic urinary infections and now chronic bowel blockage issues. I was hospitalized for 12 days in ICU for major blockage in large intestine. Hernias repaired throughout the years were totally seven. I had multi-surgeries from 2000 to 2008, totaling 8 surgeries. Additional degenerative conditions from reflex infections over the years with the onset of hypertension swelling, gout type arthritis, venous sinus thrombosis, sever migraine headaches, various drug reactions, continued to take their toll on the body and kidneys and other parts of the body severely limiting activity. When the adhesions are hurting I use heating pad, hot showers, stretching, massage, and eat small amounts at a time, vegetables, not meat. I walk everyday even if it is just 10 minutes and do meditation.

Comment from: boots, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

Last night I ate pulled chicken burrito. By 3 am I was in severe pain in my abdomen. I was able to go to the bathroom. In fact I had diarrhea a few times. I was able to sleep at 6 am and my pain lessened. It is 3:30 and I am bloated but no pain. Something must still be going on because my blood pressure is up. My history is, in 1989 I had hysterectomy; in 1999 I had my first bowel obstruction surgery. In 2012 had my second surgery for scar tissue adhesions strangling my intestines. At this time I am usually careful about what I eat. I cook vegetables, stay away from thick meat, and eat small meals. I will have a flair up about every 3 months like I did last night. If I get over it in 10 hours I stay home. The day I can't stop the pain I will be in the emergency room for help. I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: BizzySuzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had pilonidal surgery (2 years ago) to remove large non-draining cyst to relieve tailbone pain. Site healed well, but I was never able to sit back on tailbone. Subsequently I was diagnosed with a tailbone that curls too far under, pudendal neuralgia, trochanteric bursitis, and now pelvic floor prolapse in the last couple of months. There is also a bony spicule right in the same area. MRIs, CT scans, x-rays all show nothing abnormal. I have been on pain relievers for 2 years, have had 12 pelvic floor physiotherapy treatments, plus needling into the scar tissue (adhesions), which provide a little relief.

Comment from: kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

In 1977 I had gallbladder surgery where they cut me straight down the middle. Around 2000 I started getting severe pain in abdomen that wouldn't let up. I went to the emergency room and was told I had small bowel obstruction. They basically just pumped me full of fluids by IV and did x-rays every day. About every six months since then I get obstructions. I had surgery in 2008 to remove 10 inches of my colon due to diverticulosis and surgeon said I was full of adhesions that made the surgery difficult. He put his hand in my abdomen and tried to break some of them loose. I didn't have any problems until 2012 and was back in the hospital again with bowel obstruction. The pain is horrible. My chiropractor uses an infra-red laser on my abdomen to help loosen up the adhesions. It is like an ultrasound and it works. He keeps me out of the hospital. He also has me on a homeopathic medicine called ScarCure for scars and adhesions. I spray it in my mouth 3 times a day. I don't know if it works yet, I just started using it this week.

Comment from: kellysfriends, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had double knee replacement, with 2 doctors working on each knee at the same time, in at 7 out by 10, up and walking by 11. The next day they start bending your knees in physiotherapy. I was in more pain than anyone else, screaming in pain. I asked the doctor for the machine that keeps the knee in motion and he said they don't get that much results from it. I kept asking for it because every little advance I got in morning physiotherapy I would have to start all over again by the time of my afternoon therapy. At my 6 week checkup he found I had adhesions in both knees. He scheduled me for a manipulation on a Thursday (6 weeks wasted and tremendous pain), but he only did one knee and a little on the other. I went straight to physiotherapy, but they didn't have room to see me on Friday and was closed on Saturday and Sunday, and the adhesions came right back. It has now been 5 months since surgery and 4 months since the manipulation and I'm still unable to walk without pain medication. I was very active and traveled a lot before, but had pain and knew it would only get worse because my knees were bone on bone, but it wasn't this bad and didn't hurt all the time. I don't regret having this done because I knew I had to have it and I thought the younger I am (70) the better I'd heal. I'm just very disappointed in the doctors for not seeing me sooner, realizing some people will develop adhesions, and listen to the patient; he could have put me on the machine I asked for time and time again. Every time the nurse asked him for it he said no. I have an appointment next week and I have asked for the other doctor that did the other knee.

Comment from: Weezer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

At the age of 43 I had a total hysterectomy and then at 63 I had to have a laparoscopic sling and bowel repair. The surgeon said he had to cut away a lot of adhesions. I had some pain in my 50s but nothing like now. If I eat even a small amount and sit down my stomach bloats up like I'm 6 months pregnant. It's miserable, I have lots of gas and usually a headache. I can't sit at all or bend for any reason without it hurting. It feels like I am going to explode. I can't even wear my jeans anymore even with no weight gain. I wonder if this could be caused by adhesions.

Comment from: sheeta, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

After caesarian I got abdominal pain after 1.5 year followed by urine infection and ovarian cyst. So laparoscopy was done in March 2013. At that time appendix and adhesions between uterus and abdominal wall were removed. Now just 10 days back during my period, I vomited. From that I got abdominal pain and it continues still. Now doctor says again adhesions may have formed and I have to consult surgeon. I don't want to go under any surgery again.

Comment from: Bmart, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I had a mastectomy on October 17. I am noticing now, tightness, some swelling and the area is very sensitive to touch. Wondering if it is adhesion.

Comment from: Wayne, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I had an esophageal surgery. The pain in my right side is worse now 3 years after. I am wondering if it is caused by adhesions.

Comment from: Sharon , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a bowel obstruction because of adhesions, on August 14, 2019. All of the sudden, it is beginning to be very sore where the incision is.

Comment from: Aldanaj22, 25-34 (Patient) Published: October 15

I had laparoscopic surgery for gallbladder and now, 10 days later, I’ve had pain under my right rib, and feel like as if I’m getting a charley horse. It’s painful when I laugh, breathe deep or even move in certain ways. I am worried if it’s because of adhesions.

Comment from: Paula, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a surgery last August and in the 2nd month I have swelling on the right side of my upper stomach and navel, where the incision starts. It feels like it’s going to burst and hurts beyond belief. I am concerned if there are adhesions.

Comment from: Wally, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I had double triple artery bypass heart surgery 2 weeks ago. I also had bloated stomach issues before and after my surgery. The bloated feeling occurs right after I eat, I wonder if it is because of adhesions.

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had a gastric bypass in 2016 and now have terrible pain that nearly floors me. It’s like something on the side of my stomach twists inside, it goes numb and I have pins and needles, the worst pain ever. I don’t know what is going on, if it is adhesions!

Comment from: Joycebailey5, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I had an abdominal hysterectomy and 9 weeks later my belly is still very sore, it feels like lots of little pins and needles. If I stand up straight it's very sore. I wonder if it is adhesions and how long it will last. I'm going through chemotherapy now.

Comment from: Luna, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My spleen was removed 3 years ago. I feel pressure in my lower left rib cage and the scar hurts. I also have digestive problems from adhesions.

Comment from: agclark, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

It's been 45 days since my open lung biopsy. It is still painful and incisions have not healed, some drainage is still present. I'm beginning to be concerned about adhesions.

Comment from: Dead foot, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

One and a half years ago my heel and calf were opened for a bone spur in the back of my heel. Now I still can't feel my foot, and nobody seems to have an answer as to why this is happened. I have severe pain, numbness and discoloration of foot. He lengthened my Achilles tendon and there was nothing wrong with it. My incision site has bad pain since surgery. I wonder if anybody out there has had the same problem and if it is caused by adhesions.

Comment from: Mary , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had my gallbladder taken out 2 years ago and my stomach is still swelling, I look like I am 9 months pregnant. It lasts for about 3 months and then goes down for about 3 months. I wonder if I have adhesions.

Comment from: pamkay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had a hysterectomy in 2005 and I'm having severe sharp low abdominal pain, wondering if it is due to adhesions.

Comment from: Snflwer, 19-24 (Patient) Published: June 19

I had surgery in my throat about a year ago due to me swallowing a wire from my braces. I had emergency surgery and had it moved. But recently I've been having a lot of pain in that area! I wonder if I'm having pain in the spot I had surgery a year ago in the throat because of adhesions.

Comment from: Janelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I had a hysterectomy 6 weeks ago. And I'm still swelled up in my stomach. And I have severe abdominal and back pain. I was wondering if it still just from the surgery or if it is because of adhesions.

Comment from: Sherril , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have a tight diaphragm, can feel it continuously after laparoscopic removal of gallbladder. I wonder if adhesions cause this feeling. It's like a shoestring tied around my upper abominable area, from left to right side.

Comment from: Bethany, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had hernia repair almost 2 months ago. I'm starting to get worried about adhesions because every time I bend down to do something, this sharp, stiff pain occurs, feels like something is bending in half, to where it feels like something sharp poking on the inside.

Comment from: Cheryl D, 45-54 (Patient) Published: September 05

I still am not able to bend my left knee after a total replacement last December 7th, and on March 17th no movement because of adhesions. I still need surgery on my right knee. No physical therapy was put in place after replacement for 64 days. I am ready to commit suicide!

Comment from: Skij, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I had abdominal surgery about six weeks ago. I have pelvis pain and swelling and wonder if it is because of adhesions.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had mesh removal from bilateral inguinal hernia. Now I have developed severe pain where the mesh was removed. The pain radiates to my hips and there is a burning sensation down both legs at times. The pain never subsides. My navel has start to hurt badly because I did have a hernia there that I asked them not to remove. I take pain medicines and something to help me sleep, with which I feel no pain when asleep. I'm in constant pain and it's like I am having a lot of pressure on my bladder. I wonder if this is because of adhesions.

Comment from: Annette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I had heel spurs removed 20 years ago and the adhesion is painful till today.

Comment from: Amanda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had hysterectomy over 20 years ago. Past few years lower belly or stomach has been painful. I am wondering if I have scar tissue or adhesions inside and it should be taken out.

Comment from: Sheri64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

Around 9 years ago I started having pelvic pain, but it wasn't until about 5 years ago that my gynecologist determined what was causing my pain for all of those years; adhesions. I had my left ovary and fallopian tube removed. Now here I am again in pain (same pain). I have had a vaginal ultrasound, a uterine biopsy, blood work, and now yesterday a CT scan. My general practitioner thought it was diverticulitis, and prescribed antibiotics, and 3 weeks later, I was still having the same pain. I went back to discuss what is going on, he still thought it was diverticulitis and sent me to get the CT scan. I voiced my opinion about adhesions and he didn't think it was that. My CT scan results show no diverticulitis, and the nurse called and said everything looked normal and to follow up with a gastroenterologist. I have done a lot of reading on the adhesions, and no test can detect them. I am angry, I had an expensive test yesterday, still in pain and now I am pushed off to yet another doctor. I am confident in my own diagnosis, I know my body better than anyone; it is my body. No one can feel my pain. Be proactive with your healthcare.

Comment from: Renee, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 16

Dad had a section of his lung removed 6 years ago and is now experiencing chronic pain in the incision area, probably because of adhesion. The doctor gives him pain pills but a limited amount.

Comment from: Maggiemoo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had five back surgeries with bone grafts, titanium screws and plates, hysterectomy, ventral hernias, partial nephrectomy for kidney cancer. Last back surgery was 3 months ago followed by severe left sided abdominal pain aggravated by physical therapy exercises. No one can explain this severe pain which is compromising my physical therapy. Reading your article, pain from adhesions seems to make a lot of sense to me. The pain is so bad I am unable to stand straight. The only thing to take the edge off the pain is Percocet, morphine and Naprosyn. After this past surgery on my back I lost 20 lb. in four weeks. I am extremely fatigued and have no appetite. I spent four months in bed. Not much better now. I have had in the past 6 months four CT scans, MRI and abdominal, pelvic and another CT scan of chest, abdomen and pelvis. Abdomen only showed surgical clips.

Comment from: Yvonne, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 14

After several bladder surgeries I now have constant low abdominal pain. On a scale, it's a 10. Colonoscopy and CT scan are negative. I wonder if it is because of adhesions.

Comment from: once upon a time, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 63 year old male who had Roux-en-Y surgery in November 2008. I have lost 300 lb and kept it off, but have gotten almost all the problems one can get, 3 hernia operations, 4 skin removals, gall bladder removed and now possibly another hernia and small intestine repair at the same time. I also have gotten gut twisting pain and bad nausea periodically since the surgery in 2008, which I think is due to adhesions. The only help was with morphine and Zofran but they took me off of that.

Comment from: oldschool, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

I had a CABG (coronary artery bypass grafting) approximately 3 years ago and all went well. About a year post surgery I felt a pain in my chest that resembled a sharp object every time I coughed or sneezed. My wife and I are healthcare workers (for 27 years), and we discussed this pain I have frequently. My cardiac surgeon and cardiologist both were pleased with my healing process. We (wife and I) firmly believe there is an adhesion causing the pain (it only happens when I cough or sneeze. I read about a laparoscopic procedure and it sounds like what I need but I am wondering what is involved in the diagnostic process.

Comment from: Puddles, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had 3 surgeries 6 years ago. The first one removed 75 percent of stomach from hiatal hernia that cut off blood supply to stomach. I was in ICU for 3 weeks before being transferred by ambulance to Rochester (3 hours away). With the second one they removed part of esophagus that was infected (this surgery was through my back). Five months after 1st surgery I went for my third, reconstructive surgery so I could eat. They took part of my colon and attached it to my esophagus and stomach. For the past several months I have been having pain in my chest over left breast, and some back pain at times. I had my heart checked out and it was ok so I think the pain might be from adhesions from surgeries. I have appointment with gastrologist next Friday after waiting 2 months for appointment. I have been hoping I would not end up in the emergency room from pain. I had one of the best doctors in the country for stomach and esophagus surgery for my last 2 surgeries. He was wonderful. My family doctor says I am a miracle to be here.

Comment from: coco, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had abdominal plastic surgery which resulted in cellulitis and ever since have been admitted to hospital a few times a year with chronic pain, sickness and constipation. It is getting more severe as time goes on, it is ten years since the surgery. I sometimes have up to 12 laxatives a day. I feel so ill when I can’t go and they say I have irritable bowel syndrome. I think it is adhesions, I don’t know what I can do to get doctors to look into this. It hurts and is very hard and numb all across the scar.

Comment from: Debbieratliff, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I had a cesarean and several years later a hysterectomy where some lymph nodes were taken. Doctors went in the same place as my C-section from navel to pubic bone. Now I have constant pain in my right side, sometimes left and lower back pain, maybe because of adhesions. It is really hard to have bowel movement most of the time.

Comment from: hazel, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had abdominal surgery many years ago. I am having severe abdominal pain for the past 3 weeks, I think due to adhesions.

Comment from: Sexy senior, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I recently had gastrectomy surgery back in August of 2015. I now have multiple problems, I think because of adhesions, with no appetite, getting nausea after eating, and I lost major weight at 40 pounds since July. I have no desire to eat because it is going to make me sick no matter the food that I eat.

Comment from: DOGBsm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have had a full hysterectomy, gallbladder removed, and tummy tuck surgeries in the last 30 years. Now I feel tightness in my abdominal area and I stay swollen. In the lower pelvic region it feels like I have a knot in it when I bind to dry off, and I have shortness of breath just drying off, and heartburn and burning in my chest if do certain movements, I think because of adhesions.

Comment from: MaddyJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was hit by a bus at age 16 causing major internal injuries; major tear in liver, stomach torn away, collapsed lungs, and several broken ribs, etc. I was operated upon twice in 6 weeks. First surgery was 6 hours to save my life and second to perform an anterior gastrectomy. After weeks on respirator and months of recuperation I resumed my life with only several long ugly keloid scars to show for it; or so I thought! From age of 40 I suddenly started feeling severe pain in upper abdomen which eventually after a laparoscopy was found to be a huge amount of adhesions, so have now spent over 20 years just existing with many tablets every day which hardly help me now. I only discovered a few years ago that scar tissue shrinks as we get older so it gets tighter and this is possibly why I started suffering in later life.

Comment from: Lisa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had resection surgery 5 months ago, and seemed to recover pretty good until a week or so when I developed pain in my upper abdomin. It as if something inside is pulling and feels as if it is raw. I am contemplating seeing my physician following the weekend to check if there are adhesions.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I have had numerous abdominal surgeries. In 2004 I had a hysterectomy and have been in pain ever since. In 2008 I had to have a colostomy and have been experiencing increasingly debilitating pain ever since. Now on twice daily slow release morphine and regular panadeine forte. I have gone from working 10 hours 6 days a week to barely functioning. I am amazed that doctors fail to warn of possibility of adhesions prior to surgery.

Comment from: Shel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had a brown recluse spider bite, they went in and cleaned it up. But the pain medicines don’t last 8 hours. I am running fever and am swollen a lot. It was on the left side of my stomach. I am hurting so much and wonder if it is because of adhesions.

Comment from: brandynga, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I went to the surgeon and he said apparently, I was not a good candidate for liposuction, so his response to me was to do a tummy tuck. He did a tummy tuck and the incision was very high. I still can't wear a bikini and the doctor said well, at least I have the flat stomach I always wanted. He bragged he removed 12 inches of skin from my stomach. Long story short, I've been in the hospital twice since then having to be sewn up with small incisions at a time. Lately I have had these lumps from adhesions come up in my stomach.

Comment from: Holly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had a laparoscopic surgery due to ectopic pregnancy. I feel something swell inside my left fallopian tube, wondering if it is an adhesion.

Comment from: Busyizzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I broke my humerus 8 months ago and had it repaired with a plate and 12 screws. My incision burns every day! I wonder if there are adhesions.

Comment from: counselormimi, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

After by-pass surgery several years ago, my sister began to have severe pain in the chest area. Her condition was described as osteochondritis with neuropathy. The pain when she breathes is now causing shortness of breath. A procedure to numb the areas was denied after her medical history and blood thinners were disclosed. She is awaiting another appointment with her doctor.

Comment from: Claudia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was just diagnosed with fibrous adhesions that connected to pelvis and colon, after I had a hysterectomy.

Comment from: JL31, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I am of the opinion that my small bowel adhesion, which required surgery, was caused by contact/handling of the intestine during open heart surgery. That probability is increased by the fact that the onset of my incurable gastroparesis (damage to the stomach vagus nerve) coincided with the heart operation.

Comment from: CindyK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 58 years old. I started having lower back pain about a month ago. I thought maybe I had pulled a muscle or something. The pain would occur in the front of my pelvis also. Now the pain is constant and even worse when lying down in certain positions, especially on my back. The pain in my abdomen is mainly on my right side. I had pain pills and I've been able to cope. I thought it would eventually heal with rest. Now with no pain pills I am miserable.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had total colectomy for Crohns 11 years ago, then 4 more surgeries over 10 years for hernias, abscesses, and fistulas. I have had several chronic hernias, and a fistula near stoma that only occasionally drains. I do just about anything to avoid more surgeries, since there is always more pain. I worked full time as a nurse for 35 years, and will endure just about anything to avoid further surgery.

Comment from: GIMPY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had a blood clot develop in my arm. It cut off the blood supply to my hand. Surgeons went in and they were able to re-establish blood flow to my hand. I ended up with dry gangrene on all of my digits and they were partially amputated. My left hand is now narrower than my right. I have difficulty just trying to use that hand for anything. I constantly feel it being squeezed. Everyday it gets worse.

Comment from: Victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

When I was five years old, I had surgery on my abdomen for the removal of a mesentery cyst the size of a small football. It was attached to my small intestines and part of them were also removed.

Comment from: Hazel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had abdominal surgery for ovarian cancer. Six months after the operation, I had severe pain in the right lower abdomen. After various medications I am now taking Gabapentin, which keeps pain mostly at bay. If I eat anything that causes flatulence I get episodes of very severe pain that will pass after a couple of hours or so. I then feel as though I have emerged from a long illness.

Comment from: JRC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a c-section 8 years ago and then had the right ovary removed 2 years after that due to ovarian cycts. Every so often, beginning a month later, I started to feel sharp pains in my lower right quadrant. My doctor said it was "my imagination". Three years ago, it got so bad that I thought I was having apendicitis and went to the ER, but they couldn't find anything. My G.I. doctor said it was an "OB-Gyn" problem, and my "OB-Gyn" doctor said it was a G.I. problem. Both of them kept throwing pain meds at the problem and told me to go to the ER if it got worse. After 9 ER visits, I FINALLY found a doctor who said that I might be suffering from adhesions. At least there are some doctors who care to take the time to research their patient's problems rather than rely on pills as "quick fixes"!

Comment from: de de, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 30

After surgery for breaking my femur next to the pelvis, I developed adhesions under the surgical scar. I fell for no reason and broke the femur bone.

Comment from: GIissues, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a total hysterectomy in 2006. The following year, I had a tube placed due to ongoing digestive issues. In the past year, I have had severe abdominal pain on the left side going up under my ribs. My GI doctor is now wondering if I have adhesions from one or both of these surgeries.

Comment from: mommygail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have had 3 C-sections. My third child moved so much, he broke adhesions 10 weeks before his due date and sent me into labor. Labor did stop and I had him when scheduled. I had no more troubles from adhesions until fibroids made my uterus so large, it pulled my bladder.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had two C-sections and a tubal and a hysterectomy over 25 years ago. Two years ago I had to have a drain put in my gallbladder and had to wear the bag two months before the gallbladder was removed. Evidently it was infected, inflamed (3 times the normal size) and had over 200 stones. I have had off and on extreme pain in the lower right abdomen since. It took a while to connect the gallbladder problem with the symptoms I experience now. I thought it was ovarian torsion but on the ultrasound no ovaries showed up due to menopause. The doctors are thinking it is adhesions around the intestines as the pain is always the same spot. The pain will go on for days and then nothing for months. I had to beg my doctor for pain meds.

Comment from: roxyme, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a silicone gel implanted in one breast and an augmentation of the other many years ago. The gel implant ruptured and was removed four months ago and my right breast was again augmented. I have been suffering with a huge lump which developed four weeks after surgery on the side where the silicone leak was.

Comment from: Shelly58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a hysterectomy 11 years ago and two weeks after I ended up in hospital two times before they found I had a blockage. A year later when I had to have a hernia repair the doctor found when I had the blockage the bowel had went through the abdominal wall and stuck about the size of an egg so he repaired the abdominal wall and sewed me back up

Comment from: Heather, 45-54 Female Published: January 23

My adhesions were so severe after surgery I had to have surgery to release them from wrapping around my bowel and making it so I couldn't have a bowel movement. It's for me a nightmare that never ends. I'm lucky to go five or more years than have to have surgery again.

Comment from: nats, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 23

A dear friend had 18 inches of his colon removed many years ago because of cancer. Fifteen years later he went to the ER several times because bile came up in his throat. They just did little and sent him home. About the fourth time in a short time, they told him he was going to stay for more thorough exam, and he wound up in surgery for hours, worse than the original cancer surgery. The surgeon stated that she had to literally unwind the scar tissue that wrapped around his colon, as it was like a baseball. The ordeal was worse than the original surgery, and he was in the hospital 23 days recovering. No problems since, but hoping there won't be any more.

My problem started when I had abdominal surgery in 2003. For eight years I have been experiencing this pain. At times the pain is so severe when I'm driving that I have to park. Now that I have an idea of what is causing this pain, I now can make a decision on how to treat.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW