Alcohol Intoxication: Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic term for ethanol. A person who is intoxicated with alcohol they may have euphoria, poor coordination and movement, poor judgment, memory loss, slurred speech, confusion, and even coma and death if the person consumed enough alcohol. Gender, coexisiting medical conditions, and medications may have an effect on the level of alcohol intoxication a person experiences.
Must Read Articles:
AddictionAddiction is possible whenever ingesting a substance causes the basic pleasure and reward circuits in the brain to activate. Addiction is an illness that requires treatment, because people with addictions cannot stop on their own. Symptoms of addiction include a person's inability to stop using the substance, devoting a lot of time and effort toward obtaining, using, and recovering from the substance's effects, discontinuing important social, employment, and recreational activities due to preoccupation with the substance, developing tolerance for the substance, and developing withdrawal symptoms.
AlcoholismAlcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life-threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a drinking problem include insomnia, loss of employment, blackouts, depression, auto accidents, bruises, frequent falls, and anxiety. Treatment involves stabilization, detoxification, and rehabilitation of the alcohol-dependent person.
Drug Dependence & AbuseDrug dependence is the physical need for a certain substance. Drug abuse and dependence comprise a huge public health problem with no easy treatment available.
Expert Views and News
- Alcohol Problems Grow as Booze Gets a Bigger Kick
- Alcohol Use When Breastfeeding Reduces Cognition
- Different Alcohol Types Trigger Specific Emotions
- Moderate Alcohol Consumption May Harm the Brain
- Should You Stop Drinking?
- Palcohol: Risky for Teens and People in Recovery?
- Alcohol Poisoning Kills 6 People in US Each Day
- Parents Can Influence Teens Drug Use
- Teen Drinking and Driving Down, CDC Says
- Drunk Driving: 4 Million in U.S. Admit to It
- Moderate Alcohol Drinking May Boost Heart Health